Very Curious

abuddingrose
on 9/3/09 1:53 am - Essex, MD
I have never been to this board before but am a regular on many of the others.
I must say that I am very curious about those that go to mexico for wls. I understand that is it usually self pay because insurance will not cover and its less expensive.  I am not trying to be dense. but is the process the same? how do you find a dr that you can trust?do they speak english?  Do you need a passport?  How long is the process compared to that in the US?

I am very curious about the whole thing.

Zells_lori is 'abuddingrose' 
never settle for less than you deserve and you deserve only the best.                            
pattan59801
on 9/3/09 8:07 am - Missoula, MT
RNY on 04/04/12
I too am wondering about mexico, my Insurance wont cover the WLS, so is there anyone out there that has gone to mexico????
petiesmom
on 9/4/09 3:12 am - balto, MD
yes just got back it was an eye opening trip went with my husband i did not get surgery but he did we had to stay longer because his blood was messed up they fixed it before his surgery alln is  well they were great
tuneyjune
on 9/14/09 2:45 pm - White Bear Lake, MN
I was in the boat of insurance not covering WLS and being a lightweight, so self pay in Mexico was my best option.   I had RNY gastric bypass in June and couldn't be happier.  Absolutely no problems and excellent care.   My dr only does RNY, but the total cost of $7500 was OK for me.

Best of luck!

tuna
TuneyJune      
Kearneyator
on 9/3/09 1:13 pm, edited 9/3/09 11:38 pm
VSG on 10/17/09 with
I was very scepticle about going to Mexico for any kind of surgery until I started reading some of the testimonials here and other research online.  Also, a friend of our had VSG performed by Dr. Alvarez last year.

Needless to say, I've had a change of heart as I scheduled my VSG with Dr. Alvarez today (for Oct 17).

Anyway, from talking to our friend and reading what others have said you can expect better treatment at the hospital in Mexico than you've probably ever received here in the States.

Now to hopefully answer some of your questions:

- Yes, these are self-pay procedures, but considerably less expensive that what it costs here.  We spent over $14000 for my wifes VSG this past March here in Louisiana while mine is going to cost $9750.
- Yes, the process is the same.  Additionally most of the doctors performing these are very experienced (Dr. Alvarez has performed over 1030 VSG procedures)
- Do they speak english?  The doctors and (from what I've gathered) daytime nurses speak english but have been told that the night staff maybe not so much.
- Passport.  Due to our wonderful new travel restrictions a passport is required for any travel outside of the country.  You can either use the normal passport book or the new passport card.
- How long is the process?  The procedure is the same, about an hour.  Most doctors require a 2 - 3 day hospital stay (my wife had a 2 day stay here in the States).  I made the decision yesterday to go ahead and get surgery.  Last night I applied through Dr. Alvarez's website (http://www.endobariatric.com/sleeve.htm) after 8 pm and received my first email (from a person) at 9:23 pm.  After several exchanges of email today I locked in my surgery date and only have to send them my deposit to make it formal.

I hope this helps.  Let me know if I can answer any other questions.
liveinphx
on 9/4/09 11:52 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I had my sleeve procedure done in Mexico about 14 mos ago. I was self pay due to WLS exlusions in my health coverage.
I had no problems communicating with nurses or surgeon or other medical folks involved. Almost all spoke English.
The surgical process is the same and in many cases, like with the sleeve, the experienced surgeons in Mexico have performed more ofthese surgeries and have been doing them longer that most US surgeons.
What was different is the level of care I got. The surgeon himself was me at least three times each day I was there. He was actively involved with me from the start and took time to answer questions, provide support and so  on. This was direct care from the surgeon, not his coordinator, not support staff him directly communicating with me which was a huge factor in my decision making.
I did not feel unsafe at all during the process despite the issues in Mexico related to drug cartel crimes and violence.
You will need a passport or passport card but those are easily obtainable though I would give enough time for the process because getting passports on an expedited basis can be costly.
All the costs related to surgery and lodging in MX are covered and the only "extra" expense is air fare. Depending on where you have your surgery it may be a longer van/car ride from the airport to the hospital but all of it is reasonable.
The process is generally not a lengthy one because you do not have to deal with insurance requirments and the "hoops" that come along with that.
My sleeve surgery was under 9K including everything but airfare to San Diego. The same surgery would have cost 21-25K in my area and none of the surgeons locally have much experience doing the sleeve.
Please do your research both on and off the OH board. Please ask anyone giving you "advice" to cite their sources and provide verifiable info about the statistics and other "facts" they claim to know.
Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
mimiwashington
on 9/26/09 6:13 am - Sugar Land, TX

I am intreseted in the traveling arrangements you fly to San Antoinio?

Kearneyator
on 9/26/09 12:39 pm
VSG on 10/17/09 with
Yes, I am flying into San Antonio. 

Basically, you book your own flight (I did mine through Expedia), when you arrive you contact the hotel you will be staying at on your last day and they will send a shuttle to pick you up.

The driver for the clinic will then pick you up from the lobby at that hotel and take you to the hotel in Eagle Pass (just on this side of the border).  Then next morning, they will pick you up from the hotel and take you to the hospital where you'll meet with the doctor, undergo some tests, be admitted, and then have the procedure done.

Spend that night and the following in the hospital, then driven back to San Antonio to stay at a hotel.  Stay there the night and leave San Antonio at your leasure the next day.
mimiwashington
on 9/26/09 9:25 pm - Sugar Land, TX
Thanks, how long is the drive from San Antonio to Eagle Pass
Kearneyator
on 9/27/09 1:36 am
VSG on 10/17/09 with
Two hours.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO