how do i choose

salem56
on 8/31/09 2:11 pm - GA

i am new here and need some advice. any weight loss surgery is an exclusion under my insurance policy. my bmi is 80 percent so i need to lose this weight. i am considering surgery in mexico. i have been looking at dr. joya but there are so many good surgical candidates.

does anyone have any advice for who to see considering my high bmi?

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/09 9:20 am - AZ
On August 31, 2009 at 9:11 PM Pacific Time, salem56 wrote:

i am new here and need some advice. any weight loss surgery is an exclusion under my insurance policy. my bmi is 80 percent so i need to lose this weight. i am considering surgery in mexico. i have been looking at dr. joya but there are so many good surgical candidates.

does anyone have any advice for who to see considering my high bmi?

If you have a BMI of 80 I would suggest only going to a place with a fully equipped ICU.

What surgery type are you considering?

salem56
on 9/1/09 9:29 am - GA
It was suggested I do the sleeve since my BMI is so high.
kathemil
on 9/2/09 2:45 am - MD
There are quite a few doctors in Mexico that are very very good in bariatric surgery. I have noticed alot of people using Dr. Aceves, Joya, Alvarez, etc. I found a surgeon named Dr. Zapata from the website www.ready4achange.com and had my surgery on Jan 30th, 2009. Dr. Zapata is a kind, compassionate and competent surgeon. I had absolutely NO problems whatsoever. I live in the Baltimore/DC area and went there because my insurance would not cover the sleeve and it was too expensive here in the states. If you'd like more information contact me!
salem56
on 9/2/09 2:54 am - GA
Thanks... I am so scared because of my high BMI. I know the risks are much higher due to that. I just want to minimize my complications as much as possible. I think I have decided on Dr. Joya.
Amarylis
on 9/2/09 9:41 am - Mexico city, Mexico
VSG on 05/20/09 with
 I was sleeved by dr.Joya 3 montha ago, if you want more info, pm me.

Good luck!
salem56
on 9/2/09 10:37 am - GA
Thanks...

I think I am going to book this week. I am so nervous b/c of the BMI issue. How was your experience?
Jagator88
on 9/2/09 11:57 am - Jacksonville, FL
There  are a number of competent doctors. I had a hard time choosing but my ultimate decision to use Dr. Zapata was the fact that I could fly into Mexico and did not have to deal with driving across the border. Not sure why but I just felt more comfortable.
5' 7" 244/95/125 SW/CW/GW
VSG by Dr. Miguel Zapata on 06/04/2009
Monterrey, MX
Hayley                    

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views