for those of you who had surgery in mexico how did you............

ryansgirl
on 8/2/09 1:36 pm
Well in 23 more days i will be a sleevey with the rest of you lovely bunch. Now my question is how did you tell your pcp? i want to tell him. i mean he knows i wanted it and we talk about it for a year and when i fnd out my insurence just covers the rny i left it alone for a while. when i find out about mexico i decide on a doctor and everything and i'm all set to go..........now how do i tell him this? people are sooooo negative and i really just don't know what to do. I would like to have my blood check from time to time but just worry about what he will say please help. oh and another thing did you tell friends....i haven't too scared. the few i did tell i told them it was out of state........i'm not really lieing am i? but it kinda hard. How will i tell my mom? my sisters? My boyfriend is 100 percent supportive so that a good thing but ugh it too much to think about.
FabBy50 .
on 8/2/09 2:01 pm - Everett, WA
WOW

You really have not told anyone...you know you don't have to tell anyone if you don't want to. Or youcan tell everyone, its up to you. You can wait and tell your pcp after and I'm sure he will be happy that you made the decision to take your weight issue and do something about it.

I had Dr Almanza in March and had a great experience, Good luck!!
Bernadette
ryansgirl
on 8/2/09 3:47 pm
thanks i was thinking just telling him afterwards lol
wannabhealthy45
on 8/3/09 2:53 am - Canada

All of that is totally up to you.  Hopefully if you choose to tell people they will be supportive, but if they are not..too bad for them.  This is for YOUR HEALTH  and your future.  Not theirs.   You do what is best for you now...that is what counts.  It's awesome that your boyfriend is supportive, but as long as you are sure about this in your heart for you...nothing else matters.  I believe that your family doc will be happy, like the other gal said, that you took control of your health and did what you felt was right.  Even if it is not the surgery you initially talked about it is still a successful weight loss procedure and will help you become healthy and I'm sure he/she will continue to monitor your blood levels etc :)

You are gonna do great...congrats.

BTW...I told very few friends.  This was my gig...not theirs..but to each his own :)

Band 7/13/08-419.5 lbs  VSG 9/3/09-346 lbs  DS 3/7/11 - 315 lbs   CW: 197

Robbin
on 8/3/09 1:08 pm - OK
I too thought my doctor would think I was nuts, along with my friends and everyone else.
But actually my doctor was impressed at how much I knew and had studied before hand. And as for me telling others...I tell everyone I can get to listen.  I am so thankful and proud and I don't want a soul to not hear how it saved my life in hopes that they might have a chance to share the info with another in need.  But that's just me, mother of the world I guess.
archman
on 8/3/09 9:58 pm
I mentioned to my doctor that I was thinking about the surgery.  She was very familiar with all my past attempts to lose weight.  She initially tried to talk me out of going to Mexico for the surgery.  About three months after my RnY, I went in for a check up.  She looked at me and realized that I had gone for the surgery.  She and my other doctor monitor my progress and appear to be pleased with the results.
You will need support after the surgery.  My advice is to go have the surgery and don't look back.   If you find that your doctor is too negative, you can easily find another doctor who is supportive.  Chances are that your doctor will be happy that you are losiing weight and improving your health.

Best of luck
Archman
daisha1216
on 8/7/09 10:00 pm
Hello,
I will be in Mexico on 8-25-09 with Dr. Almanzo. Is that the same date as your surgery? Maybe we will be there together.
ryansgirl
on 8/8/09 2:19 am, edited 8/8/09 2:19 am
yes daisha! that make me happy be nice to have a buddy!!!!
(deactivated member)
on 8/11/09 11:52 pm - TN
I told my PCP a few months before going to Mexico.  I was there for my regular blood pressure check & I just blurted out that I was having VSG in Mexico.  She wasn't that thrilled about it, I could tell.  But she asked some questions about it, Dr. Aceves, & such...we talked for a few minutes about it.  Then I told her that what I needed from her was to know that she would support me post-op & help me with any labs or tests that need to be done post-op.  She said she would & then we discussed how the labs should be "coded" for insurance to cover them.  That was that!

In reality if your PCP isn't supportive, you can go find a doctor who will support you.  I think it's important to have your PCP's support post-op (especially considering your surgeon is out of the country).  Just remember that your doctor works for you...you have every right to select a new doctor if your current PCP isn't supportive of your health decisions!!  You're the boss!

Good luck with your surgery!
NkyBelle76
on 8/13/09 1:03 pm - Union, KY
RNY on 11/29/05 with
Well first of all, good luck to you and I'm sure you're going to do great.  I am going on 4 years post op now, and I've told 6 people and 4 of those were my immediate family that would have wondered where in the world I was for 2 weeks, had I not told them.    For me this has always been a very personal decision and have chosen to keep it that.  With that being said, after I got back I did tell my PCP and after he freaked out and said, you did what???  He has gone on to be one of my biggest supporters.  He's had other patients ask him afterwards about going out of the country and I'm his success story.  

So be confident in your decision.  You've researched this more than your primary doc has, I'm sure.  His job is to keep you healthy otherwise.  Again good luck! 
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views