Need Help!

Angela K.
on 7/15/09 10:31 am

Hi

I am currently on 2 lists for WLS in New Brunsick.  My family doctor has recommended that I outsource surgery wait times in other provinces, the US or even Mexico.  This really scares me but my BMI is around 72.  If you can give me an idea of how long of a wait it is in other provinces etxc  I would really appreciate it. I called Medicare in NB and they advised that they will pay for surgery in another province  except Quebec but I need to find a doctor, then have my family doctor and the surgeon write a letter to the NB Medicare board to ensure payment would be made.  I'm lost at where to start so I thought I know...the great groups on OH can help.  I'm even considering going self pay if necessary

Thanks
Angela

Angela

JanelG
on 7/16/09 10:21 am - Canada
Hi Angela,

I know the wait times in Ontario are about a year for RNY.  Many Ontarians go to Henry Ford Hospital in Michigan because OHIP covers it.  Their wait time is about 6 months.  You can probably get surgery sooner in Mexico or Brazil, but will likely have to pay.
Good luck!
kerr
on 7/25/09 10:09 am
I suggest with your BMI, that you look into the Duodenal Switch.  Ontario doesn't have any DS surgeons at the moment.  I'm gong to Mexico to Dr. Ungson for my DS (self pay).  Many Ontarians have gone to Dr. Lutrzykowski in Michigan for this procedure.  Will NB Medicare pay for Out Of Country?  There are a number of surgeons performing this in the US, Brazil and more.   There is one surgeon in Montreal who does it too.

http://www.dsfacts.com/duodenal-switch-surgeons.html

That's links to a list of DS surgeons.  That whole website is really informative.

HW232/SW230/CW131/GW126 

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views