Gastric Bypass vs Mini Gastric Bypass

markandy
on 6/24/09 2:22 am - spring, TX
 Hi,

I am 33 Yr guy with BMI of 39.2 and co morbid condition of Diabetes and Hypertension, my insurance denied me saying that the condition of my insurance policy says BMI to be over 40 for 5 years.

I am looking at options of self pay in Mexico, i came across Dr. Almanza who is offering gastric bypass and mini gastric bypass for $9500; i need help with-

1) For someone like me which is better option.

2) Anyone heard anything negative about this Dr.

3) Any other suggestions on low cost safe options for good Dr in Mexico.

I really need to do something, my diabetes is out of control and i have been put on Insulin even though my diabetes is type-2.

Thanks for your help
N H.
on 6/24/09 9:45 am - FL
I returned this past Sunday after having a VSG with Dr. Almanza on 6/16.  I am very pleased with the surgery and the healing so far.

Dr. Almanza, the anesthesiologist and nursing care were very good.

I never researched the bypass so I cannot pass on any information on that.

I am glad I chose Dr. Almanza and would do so again.

If you have questions, please PM me and I will answer anything I can.

Good Luck.
                                          Pre Op-Surgery-Current-Goal
                                            232  -    213   -  153 - 150

5'4" tall
Stage 1 Plastics 10/20/10 with Dr. Adrian Menjarrez-Mexicali
Breast Lift and Tummy Tuck    
markandy
on 6/24/09 10:32 am - spring, TX
 Thank you
valencianahaley
on 6/27/09 6:57 am - weatherford, TX

hello and welcome to OH, I was in the same situation as you are right now, two years ago, denied by my insurance 3 times, no diabetes, but hypertencion. I decided to search on a doctor in South America Venezuela, Dr. Salinas.............he's a master in gastro bypass. he did mine, June 12th 2007 and I don't regrete it. I was 311 Lbs. .now 160 with the foby-pouch. he charge then$7.200. the only inconvenience that i found was the hotel, the hotel is not included, so you have to add that to the surgery. Good luck with your decision if anything I can help you with, send me a note. here his website www.bariatrico.com is english option in there as well.

markandy
on 6/28/09 1:51 am - spring, TX
 Thank you.
Lil_MzJuicy
on 7/24/11 5:40 am
 What insurnace company do you have? That denial is suspect, you should resubmit or seek help from an obesity advotate company. It's true that you have to have a BMI of 40 or greater for at least 5 years OR have a BMI of 35 with 2 co-morbid conditions - like you have. So, I personally think you should have been approved... Anyways, that's all I wanted to comment on. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views