Dr. Umbach- Thanks for Mexico!

lvphoto
on 6/23/09 6:11 am
I have to take a moment out of my now slimmer and healthier day to thank both Dr. Umbach and the Surgery Advisors for making my Lap Band journey a fantastic one.

I, like most of you, had to answer to biggest question first.... Can I afford this surgery.  My body was saying "you must", but my wallet was saying "no way".  This is where my journey began.  How was I going to make this affordable?  I looked at all the options and was focusing on Mexico, but the only thing that worried me was that I was so far away from my Dr. for post operative care.  I came upon one of Dr. Umbach's seminars and chatted with him at the end about my dilemma and the direction I was considering because of cost.  That's when I was presented with the alternative to do the surgery in Mexico.  The idea of cutting my bill in half and having my "personal surgeon" travel down to Mexico to do the surgery was a dream come true.   That kind of thing only happens to movie stars right?

So I tackled the big question of affordability.  The next concerns were 1) How is the medical care and facilities in Mexico for this surgery, and 2) How do I coordinate all this to make sure I get where I need to go, my wife's accommodations, etc.

First, this is where I put out a huge thank you to Surgical Advisors.  They work directly with Dr. Umbach and the patient, and every need, question, or concern you might have is completely handled by this team.  They met us on the American side, got us to our hotel (they made all reservations), took care of me getting to the hospital, all the travel back and forth for my wife, and when we were ready to go, took us back over the border.  It was absolutely worry free.  Let me tell you, that's a God-send when you are just concentrating on getting yourself mentally ready for surgery.

As for the hospital facilities.... I think it's part American arrogance, and part ignorance, but I think the perceptions of most people is that Mexico couldn't possibly have hospital care and facilities like the good old USA.  Let me tell you, I have stayed in my share of hospitals in Las Vegas, and have experienced the medical care we get from the hospital staff here, and there's no comparison!  The hospital in Mexicali is pristine and looks like a hotel.  You don't fill out a million forms and wait for hours to check in.  You are treated like a high roller at a resort and the nursing staff is very accommodating.  What a great experience!

Thanks Dr. Umbach and Surgery Advisors!
TheITSystem
on 12/17/09 6:57 am - Las Vegas, NV
Good post, you've got me thinking.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views