DS in Mexico?

Daez
on 6/8/09 1:01 am
Hello, Mexico forum! 

I'm a bit of a newbie here on OH (been lurking for a few weeks on some of the other boards, but only registered yesterday), though this is my first visit to these forums; I recently learned about the idea of surgery abroad, and due to my lack of insurance I just can't afford to do the procedure in the states.

I've only just begun my search into all of this, but it was recommended by several of the gals in the livejournal WLS community that I come check you folks out and see if there was any information I could get! 

Anyway, thanks for your time, and thank you in advance for any thoughts or advice you may have. :) 

spittman
on 6/8/09 6:52 am - Reston, VA
VSG on 06/29/09 with
Hello,

Out of all the research I did for surgery outside US I found 3 doctors that I liked. Dr. Joya, Dr. Acevedes and Dr. Pompa Gonzales. I choose Gonzales.

Check out the different doctors and read the patients review. I emailed some doctors in MX. and they would just send an email back saying   "surgery is $12K let me know when you want to come in". They didn't even ask how much I weighed,didn't choose them.

On a funding note:  you can apply for surgical loans right  from the website of the doctor you choose. Make sure that they are aware that the surgery is outside US. There is also Lending Club. This is a much cheaper interest rate and you can pay back in 36 months.

I hope this helps.
sunnidayrain
on 6/9/09 10:03 am - TX

The DSfacts.com website lists the reputable doctors that perform the DS in the US and abroad. If they arent listed there then they do not perform the DS. Dr. Ungson in Mexico is listed on the dsfacts website and there are several people that have used him on the DS forum.  HTH

Ami

Adoptive mom to 3 children with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders     
kerr
on 6/10/09 12:25 am
I am also considering DS in Mexico.  I am most interested in talking to Dr. Ungson, he seems to have a very good reputation.  website www.clexci.com

Daez
on 6/10/09 12:39 am
He's the one I've been looking into as well; I really liked everything I read, and got in contact with the coordinator, Luz. Filled out all the forms and things, and hoping to find out whether or not  I'd qualify with them or not.

Two things to know about Dr Ungson that I learned from others who've been to him and from Luz... 1: They don't do financing; it's $3000 usd deposit to secure a surgery date, and then the rest must be presented via cashiers check upon arrival.
2: Depending on your size, he may want to do the surgery in 2 parts to lower risks due to complications from size etc.

Just a couple things to keep in mind! :)

Good luck with your journey too :D
kerr
on 6/13/09 2:46 am
didn't know about the deposit. 

I emailed their office 2 weeks ago and haven't heard back.  I wonder whats up. 
Daez
on 6/13/09 2:52 am
Hmmm that's odd! 

Try emailing Luz... she's the coordinator, and whom I've been coresponding with over the last week or so. luchi86 at hotmail (.) com

I generally get a response from here within 2 days at the most. She's been really great with getting back to me, and helping me work through all the information I need.

kerr
on 6/14/09 7:35 am, edited 7/6/09 7:30 am
Thanks. That's a different email than I have.  Maybe they changed their email addresses since November, which was the first time I had been in contact.

Just an update:  I have definitely chosen Dr. Ungson for DS.  Will be going in mid August.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views