What did you take...

Beth S.
on 5/31/09 10:52 pm
Hey Sleevers, what did you take along with you to Mexico when you had your surgery? What did you wish you had taken along? Someone suggested gas x chew-ables, any suggestions will be so appreciated. I don't have a definite date but I'm hoping to have one this week.  
Dustyranchgal
on 6/1/09 12:55 pm - Laredo, TX
Hi!

I had VSG on 4/22 in Monterrey, Mexico.  Per the advice of my coordinator, I only took a carry-on bag to avoid checking and dealing w/ heavy bags on the return trip.  Great tip!!!  

Yes, Gas-X tablets really help with the post op LAP gas pains.  Just be sure they are chewable.

Take comfy clothes and non-underwire bras b/c your incisions will be at about the area of your bra and also at the waist.   

Lip balm was a life saver pos op b/c my lips were dry.

My coordinator provided a English to Spanish translation chart for common terms and although most all of the nurses spoke Engli**** came in handy more than once.  

Magazines, a good novel or two,  reading glasses (if needed), regular glasses if you wear contacts b/c your eyes will really be dry after surgery.

Check with your cell phone service provider and make sure you have the international plan for Mexico.  Using phone cards can be a challenge.

Bring a lap top if you have one and bring some DVD's.  My hotel only had a few american channels and the DVD's came in handy.  I also downloaded SKYPE www.skype.com  on my computer so I could IM back and forth with family. That REALLY came in handy and passed the time.

Cards to play solitare. 

Spanish dictionary if you don't speak Spanish.

Address book.  You will meet people you will want to stay in touch with. 

A heating pad feels great after surgey and helps with LAP gas pains. 

***Make a photo copy of your passport info just in case you lose your passport.  This will get you home faster.  (One of the who had surgery while I was there lost her passport and was having a nightmare not knowing what to do!)  Bring phone numbers for the U.S. embassy. . .just in case.  

Most of all, I wish I would have taken along my favorite tempur-pedic neck pillow and my hubby!

Best of luck and keep us all posted. Do you have  a surgey date.  When and where???

Dusty

VSG - 4/22/09 - minus 43 pounds to date
Dr Horacio Guajardo
Monterrey Center for Advanced Bariatric Surgery
www.drhoracio.com

Dr Horacio ROCKS!!!

Beth S.
on 6/1/09 3:26 pm
Thank you for all the hints on what to take and not to take. My surgery date is tenatively on July 14th with Dr Aceves in Mexicali. Thanks again for your reply back to me!

Beth
Amarylis
on 6/2/09 3:42 am - Mexico city, Mexico
VSG on 05/20/09 with
 Congrats Beth,

I see you took you decision! That is officially the beginning of your journey...

I took so many things that i didn't need but here is the list:

-Heating pad (If you can borrow one because mine I didn't use it...)
-Gas X (didn't use)
-Gauze and tape (very useful)
-Sweat pants and large t-shirts
-All my medicine and my vitamins (to discuss it with the doctor)
-A copy of all the emails I exchanged with Gerald
-Tylenol liquid (didn't use)
-Protein bullets (there are gross but it is a MUST)
-Regular beauty products
-A pair of flip-flops or crocs for the shower and when you are gonna walk
-Mexican pesos, if you can get bills of $50, $20 otherwise in Mexicali they must accept us$ but take little bills for the tips, the taxi,etc.

If I think about something else, I will pm you!

good luck :-)

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views