Help!..Confused about what company to use...

Mandyk01
on 4/30/09 1:55 am - OR
Help! I am horribly confused about what medical travel company to choose.

I feel like they are trying to scam me. They quote one Dr and one price then send you a "personalized quote' with other doctors and prices. I tried contacting the hospital and Doctor directly and still get confusing information about the Dr., price and what is included.

Do any of you have suggestions about what company to use or how to get the most for my money? How do I start the process of selecting a doctor when the facts keep changing!

FYI I am thinking about RNY w/ Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey in August.
Chris D
on 5/1/09 6:34 am - Prince Rupert, Canada
RNY on 10/01/08 with
I went to Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta last october.  My price included everything from the moment I left Vancouver, B****il I arrived back in Vancouver 10 days later.  The only thing they didn't cover was the minimal taxi fare to the airport on the way home.  It was great knowing that everything was taken care of and that I didn't have to worry about a thing.  Even when my flights from hell were re-routed thru Mexico city etc. etc. etc.  all I had to do was call the office and they were still at the airport to meet me 6 hrs later than expected.  No stress.. no worries.. 

(deactivated member)
on 5/21/09 1:20 am - AZ
On May 1, 2009 at 6:24 PM Pacific Time, fightingfat wrote:
I went to Dr. Almanza through Mexico Weight Loss Surgery.  They give you the price and have packages that include most everything.  They covered everything except my airline ticket.  The website is mexicoweightlosssurgery.com  Everyone was very nice and Dr. Almanza was great!  They have very good prices too.  The phone number is 800-935-6710.  I highly recommend Dr. Almanza and would do it again in a heartbeat!

She having bypass, not a toenail removal.  She needs a hospital and not a clinic.

O. Kufi
on 5/1/09 12:34 pm
Hi

Congratulations on joining the team of ....LOSERS!

After alot of research, I had chosen a doctor but I just could not get that warm and fuzzy to rest peacefully in my heart. Anyway saw a post on the plastic surgery forum about this doctor and began to look into him. The rest is transformation history.

I decided on Dr Francisco Sauceda in Monterrey, MX. Love Love Love him. His website is www.medicaltourism.com.mx.

I had a LBL, BL/BA, Brachioplasty and Medial Thigh lift last September. He took great care of me, is very personable, is an awesome surgeon and I would definitely recommend him. I plan on going back for more (thigh lift and lipo). 

I chose him because I needed to feel like I would have his attention because I considered what I was doing (many procedures of plastic surgery) to be very important and I wanted someone who would take time with and for me. And he did.

The price included everything except getting to and from home and the the airport and food after I left the clinic.

I believe there are lots of talented surgeons and good prices can even be found, but in the end, you have to be comfortable with your decision.
God speed in your search!! 

We love because God first loved us (1John 4:19)

Dustyranchgal
on 5/5/09 2:46 am - Laredo, TX
Hi,

I got the same run-a-round from Medical Travel and Healthbase when I was researching my surgery.  I ended up contacting my surgeon directly (He used to be in practice with Dr. Rumbaut) and worked with his U.S. Coordinator who gave me very personalized service and the cost was a few thousand less than using a medical travel agency.  I was VERY pleased with everything. I had gastric sleeve, but there was a gal at the hotel who'd had RNY with Dr. Guajardo and she was very pleased as well.  

I had gone down to Monterrey with a friend who had Lap Band with Dr Horacio Guajardo prior to having my surgery, and after meeting with him, I knew he was the surgeon for me.  I am very pleased with my decision. 

You might want to give his office a call.  The number is 800-545-8757 and the website is www.drhoracio.com  He is board certified in laparoscopic, general and bariatric surgery and practices at JCI accredited hospitals.  These were all very important considerations for me.  The price was very reasonable too. His coordinator will give you pricing straight up and tell you everything that is included.

Best of luck to you,

Dusty
kathemil
on 5/20/09 12:55 am - MD
When I was doing my research I found www.ready4achange.com and Dr. Zapata. I was quote $10,000 whi*****luded 3 nights at a hotel, 1 night at the hospital, all hospital fees, etc. Only thing I had to pay was my airfare. This was for a VSG. Dr. Zapata is one of the best doctors there are in Mexico. That is my opinion!
(deactivated member)
on 5/20/09 3:28 am - AZ
On April 30, 2009 at 8:55 AM Pacific Time, Mandyk01 wrote:
Help! I am horribly confused about what medical travel company to choose.

I feel like they are trying to scam me. They quote one Dr and one price then send you a "personalized quote' with other doctors and prices. I tried contacting the hospital and Doctor directly and still get confusing information about the Dr., price and what is included.

Do any of you have suggestions about what company to use or how to get the most for my money? How do I start the process of selecting a doctor when the facts keep changing!

FYI I am thinking about RNY w/ Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey in August.

I would never dream of using a medical travel type company.  It does absolutely nothing for you, only fills their bank account with your money.  Look at it this way, someone is going to pay for their services, if you don't then the doctor will which means in the end you are still paying for it..  What do they do other than to hand you the phone number to the doctor?

The doctors already help you with travel, they already have transportation worked out, it's all inclusive.  So what are these medical travel companies really doing?  I'd skip them completely and go to the doctor.

Sometimes they happen to hit upon a good doctor and sometimes they don't.  YOU need to do the research, YOU need to pick a doctor, YOU need to work with the office staff before surgery and see if you even like them.  If the MD office staff is not easy to work with before surgery what do you think they will be like after surgery?  It's a good way to know if this is an office you want to go with.

I used Dr. Aceves in Mexicali.  I just called and worked with HIS staff and scheduled surgery.  They took care of everything else.

You need to look at location, some locations are not safe at all, others are very safe.

Experience, you want someone who has done *at least* 250 bypass procedures (staple line and technique experience.)

Overall reputation, do they need to keep changing their name to hide from their old reps?

Affiliations... some are paid via dues and some are earned.  Example, most bariatric surgeons belong to an American organization for bariatric surgeons.  Big deal, they pay a due and they join.  I'm not talking about that.  I'm referring to things such as... my doc was voted by all the other MX bariatric surgeons as the president of the Mexican College of Surgeons.  That's just one example of an "earned" affiliation vs. one where you pay a due and you are a member.

FACS... I wouldn't go to anyone that isn't FACS.  Not an associate member but a full FELLOW.  I know of one doctor that claims something like 800-900 sleeves and it's totally bogus, no way does he have that many sleeves.  But if people knew how many sleeves he's really done they wouldn't go to him because he isn't experienced enough.  His sleeve training does not exist, he learned from a partner he used to work with.  You might be shocked at the number of doctors that do this.  They make big claims but when you actually start verifying information it's bogus.  If you go to an FACS surgeon then the American College of Surgeons has already verified their entire history.  Their education, special training, licensing, certifications, etc.  That is probably the most important thing you need to do is to verify their claims of education.  If you go to an FACS surgeon they have already done that.  If it takes them 8 months to 2 years to do this background check, how long will it take you?

Hospital or clinic... you are having a major surgery, you need to be in a fully equipped hospital.  What if you have a complication?  If you are in a clinic you may have to be transported to a hospital.  I can assure you, you will not be welcome to leave the country of Mexico until that bill is paid in full.  If you go to one of the better doctors working out of a hospital they will cover the complications.

This is just a small sample of the research you need to do.  Do you really thing a medical tourism company is going to do this kind of research?  I absolutely promise you they won't, they are looking for any doctor that will sign on the dotted line.

This is something you need to do for yourself, not depend on others.  You can't even believe the coordinators for the MD offices many times, you have to verify every single thing they tell you.  Believe nobody and especially on line.  Do you have any idea how many coordinators are posing as happy, peppy, perky patients that just love their surgeon?  Look at the history of their posts.  Do they only push you to go to their doctor?  Do they push everyone to go to their doctor?  Or do they push research and show you how to do it?

Never depend on someone to find a surgeon for you, it's just not wise.  You are looking for a safe surgeon, they are looking for additional business.

teresajane
on 5/20/09 9:13 am - High Point, NC
Hi , I chose Dr. Zapata . I have only heard great things about him . I have my RNY on 5/28/09 it is 11000.00 includes everythi ng except airfare . Pretty good price . And from what I hear great surgeon . www.ready4achange.com  Go ahead look at the webpage you will not be disappointed . Teresa

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views