Is anyone canceling their surgeries in Mexico since

L N
on 4/25/09 6:29 am
the outbreak of the Mexican Swine Flu???  That is all CNN is talking about today.  I am suppose to go in May, and I am freaking out!!!

Not to mention, what my family is going to be saying.  They are not supporting my decision to have WLS and esp not in MEXICO.

Let me know, if any of you that are going in April or May, change your mind and decide to go later.

Thanks
beachyorkiemom
on 4/25/09 8:54 am - san clemente, CA
I'm e-mailing back and forth with Nina, she says that currently, she sees no problem, but  just e-mailed her an article stating that there were 4 cases in Mexicali. So I'll wait to see what she says.  There are several cases in San Diego as well, and I'm going there too. If I feel at all in danger of exposure, I'll postpone.
Cheryl            Winning the battle against obesity one surgery at a time            
E_Saenz
on 4/25/09 10:22 am - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15
mexico city is way far down south i would keep an eye out for the epidemic and if it reaches where you are going then cancel but if not just make sure you take some vitamines and wash your hands constantly and if you wish use a mask you'll be ok I wnat to go to mexico too and if i had the money I would go right now and I wouldnt let anyone discourage me.
lot of love and good luck in Mexico
Elia
PS if you can afford it I can translate and go with for free surgery.... lol!!!!
kim marsden
on 4/26/09 4:19 am - Canada
I am scheduled for surgery on the 21st of May in Tijuanna.  I am a little aprehensive due to the hype of the swine flu but in the past day they have confirmed cases in US and Canada.  So you could easily get it from your next door nieghbour who down the line somewhere came in contact with someone that was in Mexico or was in contact with someone in Mexico.  I have heard that everyone diagnosed with it in US and Canada are recovering and the cases in Canada were mild.  I beleive that in the next few weeks health authorities around the world will start to have it under control and as long as people practice good hygiene you should be fine.  It is the heavily populated areas in Mexico they are concerned about.  Best thing to do wear a mask, I will if there are still a concern when I go.  Also if you don't feel good after you reeturn go to the dr's right away and get treated.  I am going to call our Public Health office tomorrow and ask if there are any shots available that can help maybe give you more protection when travelling to a different country.  When do you go in May for surgery?
L N
on 4/26/09 4:30 am
I am suppose to go May 21st also.  My surgery is with Dr. Aceves.  Guess I will play it by ear, and see what is going on at that time.

I would think if the US thinks it is too dangerous to travel to Mexico they will close the borders, for fear of people like us going and bringing it back to the states.

If you don't mind will you let me know what you find out about taking any meds that might help us if we go?

Thanks
kim marsden
on 4/26/09 6:38 am - Canada
I am going to Dr. Almanza and I have sent an e-mail to the Canadian facilitator to see what she has heard.  Once I find anything out from Public Health here about getting a vacine or anything they suggest I will for sure let you know.  It is so disappointing when these things happen.  I finally had gotten over the fear of the violence and now this.  But I am determined to have WLS and I am sure if I do what I need to do and take percaution I will be fine and so will everyone.
(deactivated member)
on 4/27/09 6:05 am, edited 4/27/09 6:05 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
I am scheduled for May 4th and will be going.

Just use common sense, proper hygeine, hand washing, no kissing on folks you do not know, cover your hands when you sneeze and cough, do not put your hands in your eyes, mouth, nose or other mucous membranes after touching public things.

Dustyranchgal
on 4/28/09 12:13 pm - Laredo, TX
Hi,

I just had my sleeve done in Monterrey on 4/22 and I am still hereIdoing some shopping and sightseeing.  No panic here, but people are taking precautions. My biggest concern is that I would be quaratined here in Mexico, but that's not happening.

You might ask your doctor if the antibiotic he uses as a preventative for infection while you are in for surgery will stop or kill swine flu . . .just in case!   

I don't panic easily, but it doesn't hurt to be careful, right??? 

Take care,

Dusty

Gastric Sleeve 4/22/09
www.drhoracio.com 
Mandyk01
on 4/29/09 6:09 am - OR
I just got an email from Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey and he says there are only a couple of cases and none have been confirmed as the Swine type.

Maybe the prices will go down if interest in Mexico goes south? Heres hopping!
kim marsden
on 5/5/09 2:23 pm - Canada
So just to have the last words because I am getting so EXCITED, it appears on the media today that scientist and treating the H1N1 virus as a new strain of the seasonal flu and have are asking that there be no more closures or cancelations on regular every day activities.  I also talked to a friend who lives in Mexico City who says it is not at all like the are saying on the media.  Got an e-mail from Dr. Almanza's office via e-mail today and everything looks good there.  YAY!!!!!!  I would still practice good hygiene and infection prevention with flu or no flu.  See you soon on the other side!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views