Flexible spending account

Mandyk01
on 4/24/09 3:58 am - OR
Does anyone know if you can you be reimbursed from an FSA when the medications/procedure was done in Mexico? What about 401k or IRA accounts?

I think it should be. My doctor agrees that I should have the procedure but my insurance doesn't cover it and I can't afford to pay $35,000 at my local clinic. I am doing everything I can to scrap up the dough and thought those might be good options.
Nicki H.
on 4/24/09 10:23 am - WA
Lap Band on 08/12/08 with
Yes it does.  I used my FSA..

I delivered 6 weeks early a 5lb 15oz lil boy:)  After spending 2 months on bed rest in the hospital and Mason spending 11 days in the NICU, we're both home and doing great!  Mason is getting bigger and gaining weight like he should.  Now it's my turn to lose this weight!  It's tough to get back on the band wagon...I CAN do this!

Mandyk01
on 4/25/09 12:54 pm - OR
Ok. So I called my FSA administrator and she said that as long as I got paperwork in english stating the procedure was medically nessesary I could use my FSA. My election was small this year ($600) but every little bit helps. PS if anyone is trying Alli to lose some weight you can claim that too. It is now approved by the FDA so they should take it. Only problem with using and FSA is that you have to keep working to fund it and use it by the end of the year. My plan year end Aug 31st so I only have a few months to get everything together.

I looked up the details on 401k and IRA distributions for medical care and there is no early withdrawl penalty if the amount of your medical expenses excededs 7.5% of your income.
I only make about $35,000 and year and I'm 26 so I have lots of time to catch up on my retirement accounts.
Nicki H.
on 5/8/09 12:12 pm - WA
Lap Band on 08/12/08 with
You can always take a loan out on your 401K.....I can on my 403b and I would think it would be the same rules.  I was able to take 50% of what I have vested.  Also, if your FSA benie year ends Aug 31, why not wait till then and up your contribution to match your surgery costs.....I know WAIT.....NO WAY:)  Good luck to you

I delivered 6 weeks early a 5lb 15oz lil boy:)  After spending 2 months on bed rest in the hospital and Mason spending 11 days in the NICU, we're both home and doing great!  Mason is getting bigger and gaining weight like he should.  Now it's my turn to lose this weight!  It's tough to get back on the band wagon...I CAN do this!

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views