Lapband

ba3801
on 4/4/09 1:07 am - Raleigh, NC
I live in North Carolina and I am interested in surgery in Mexico.  Anyone who has had it can you inform me of the process. 
Thanks
kathemil
on 4/4/09 7:41 am - MD
you may want to go to the Lapband forum...I'm sure there are folks there who had this done in Mexico. Or you can check out www.ready4achange.com....where there were 3 other people who had lapband done the same day as my VSG surgery.
lawandad
on 4/6/09 11:23 am - Houston, TX
I just had my surgery Saturday in Mexico.  Everything went great!  I'm home feeling great with no pain other than gas here and there.  Jessica was my rep and she helped me to arrange everything.   You can reach her at 503-539-3023 and tell her lawanda gave you her number and you wanted more information about having the lap band done in Mexico.
Idaho Bandito
on 4/7/09 11:42 am
Hi,

I had lapband surgery in Mexico and the process was pretty simple.  Once I did my research and narrowed it down to 3 surgeons, I called each of them.  Then, when I made my final decision his US coordinator walked me through the entire process and made things very stress free.  Remember, you will need a passport so be sure to plan ahead for that.  

-I flew into Monterrey on a Sunday and the driver was waiting for me and took me to the hotel

-The next day I had my pre ops in the morning, had the day to shop and  do some sightseeing and then had my pre op appointment with my surgeon that afternoon.  He explained everything that would happen once I arrived at the hospital until the time I would be discharged. 

-The following morning the driver picked me up at the hotel, took me to the hospital and walked me into the admissions department.  From there, I signed all my paperwork and then went to the pre op area where they had me change into my surgery gown, took all my vitals and started my I.V..  Then they allowed my husband to come and stay with me until I went off to surgery.  The anesthesiologist came in and visited with me and then gave me a "double shot margarita". . .LOL!  I remember my surgeon coming in and asking me if I was ready to go to the OR.  THe next think I knew, I was waking up in the recovery room.  Once I was awake and able to get up to potty, they took me to my room which was like a "suite."  My husband had his own living room with TV, sterio etc.  The nurses came in on a regualr basis to check on me and make sure I was comfortable.  I was one of the lucky ones who had almost zero post op pain.  I was up walking around the hospital within two hours of my surgery.  I slept like a baby that night!

- The next morning my surgeon  and his associate both came in to visit with me and went over my discarge instructions.  Then the driver came and took me back to the hotel.  I slept and rested that afternoon, but the next morning I was up and out shopping by 10 AM.  My surgeon or his associate came to the hotel each day to check on me and make sure I was doing well.   They were so personalbe and attentive, I couldn't have asked for better care.  Everyone from the driver to the hotel staff, the hospital staff, nursing staff, the office staff. . .everyone was fantastic.  Even now, over 3 years post op, if I have a question all I have to do is pick up the phone and call my doctor and he either answers or calls me back the same day.  I have no regrets and would do it all over again!

-I have 3 family members who've gone for surgey as well and they are just as pleased as I am with the service, attention and ourstanding care.

If Monterrey is an option for you, here is the info if you want to contact Dr Guajardo.  www.drhoracio.com  800-545-8757   He is board certified in laparoscopic, general and bariatric surgery and performs surgery at beautiful, state-of-the-art JCI accredited hospitals.     Prices are very reasonalbe!!!

Here is the link to his profile here on OH:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/bariatric+surgeon+p rofile+Horacio+Guajardo+tqq.html

Just do your research and call and talk to the doctors and staff.  You'll know when you've foudn the right surgeon  and team for you! *Make sure they offer to help find you an aftercare provider for your  post op fills . . .don't ask about the fills. . .see what info they OFFER to share with you about an aftercare provider.  This is so, so, important when traveling abroad for lap band surgery.  Without the fills, your band is useless to you!!!

Best of luck,

BB

Persona363
on 4/8/09 9:36 am
On April 4, 2009 at 8:07 AM Pacific Time, ba3801 wrote:
I live in North Carolina and I am interested in surgery in Mexico.  Anyone who has had it can you inform me of the process. 
Thanks
 Hi, 

I just got banded on Monday.  I used a doctor who was referred to me by a chief bariatric surgeon at NYU Hospital in NY who performed LapBand surgery on 2 of my firends.  My insurance wouldn't cover so I went to Mexico.  My doctor was Dr. Juan Antonio Lopex Corvala.  If you look him up, several sites will appear.  I contacted the hospital that he works for directly, 619-819-5612, and spoke to Dr. Carmen Calleja.  She works with him and walked me through the process.  

Tell her which days you're avialable to fly out and you guys come to a mutual date.  You then book your flight and send over your itinerary.  She sets up the doctor's private driver to pick you up at the airport,  It was such an easy, stress-free experience.  My whol experience was great.  I am now home re-couping.  Good luck, you'll love the doc, the hospital (Hospital Angeles) and the rest of the staff.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views