Safety in Mexico - Hospital Angeles

Persona363
on 3/28/09 12:09 pm
Hello All:

I am so excited to have my lap band surgery scheduled for Monday, 4-6-09.  I am just a little worried about the reported violence going on in Tijuana.  Does anyone know how far (distance and time) Hospital Angeles is from the border?

Thanks so much!
liveinphx
on 3/28/09 12:40 pm - Phoenix, AZ
On March 28, 2009 at 7:09 PM Pacific Time, Persona363 wrote:
Hello All:

I am so excited to have my lap band surgery scheduled for Monday, 4-6-09.  I am just a little worried about the reported violence going on in Tijuana.  Does anyone know how far (distance and time) Hospital Angeles is from the border?

Thanks so much!
Yes there is violence in Tijuana and some folks that never have had thier surgery in Tijuana delight in posting gloom and doom posts about the dangers. I am not saying there is no danger I am just saying again and again to put things in their proper perspective.
You will be driven from the airport to the hotel or hospital and back to the airport. You are not going to be roaming the streets of Tijuana. I have yet to see and article of folks being killed in their hospital beds or hotels being stormed by banditos, drug cartels or other bad guys.
Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
Persona363
on 3/29/09 11:49 pm
 Those were my thoughts as well, liveinphx.  I'm assuming you've been to Tijuana... do you know how far the hospital is once you pass the border- it apears to only be about 5 miles away - is there a lot of congestion?  Thanks for your cautious optimism!
liveinphx
on 3/30/09 1:19 am - Phoenix, AZ
On March 30, 2009 at 6:49 AM Pacific Time, Persona363 wrote:
 Those were my thoughts as well, liveinphx.  I'm assuming you've been to Tijuana... do you know how far the hospital is once you pass the border- it apears to only be about 5 miles away - is there a lot of congestion?  Thanks for your cautious optimism!
I had my surgery in Tijuana in June 08 but not at Hospital Angeles, however it was very close to your hospital which was very close to the border.
While there is overall a heightened risk in that area at no time did I see any dangerous situation nor did my support person who frequently went outside to smoke and to get something to eat.
I am not sure I would go to TJ to hang out in bars, buy drugs or just run the streets I would and did feel totally safe while was there.
Again, keep in mind you are driven from the airport to the hospital or hotel, then back again after the surgery. I have not seen any articles or news reports indicating that drug cartel criminals are storming hospitals or hotel rooms.
Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
whooptiewhoo
on 4/1/09 6:03 am - Wenatchee, WA
I just had my lap band surgery on March 23 and felt totally safe, My clinic was only about 10 min from the border. I was accompanied the whole time and even did some shopping on the main Avenida revelucion the day after surgery along with other patients and a rep from my clinic. Over all it was a great experience.
Persona363
on 4/1/09 8:55 am
 Thanks whooptie, that eases some of my fears.  Glad to hear that it was a success, have you noticed any weight loss yet?  How are you feeling?  Is it tough adhering to the liquid diet?  I can't wait, I get banded, on Monday, 4-6-09!
jelizabeth
on 4/26/09 8:23 am
Hurray - and good luck!  I am scheduling to have my 14 year old son have lap band surgery in tijuana in july. Concerned about the reports of violence. How did the surgery go? What was the worst part? How has dr's aftercare been? I keep reading about what to do but think i am still confused. Want to help my son as much as possible. Thanks for your time and congratulations!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views