Got a date for my sleeve. . .need advice on protein shakes that taste good!!!

Dustyranchgal
on 3/27/09 11:54 am - Laredo, TX
Hi everyone,

Well, I"ve been researching and procrastinating for months about whether or not to have surgery, who to use and on and on and on.  While I was busy procrastinating, my best friend decided she wanted to get banded and went to Dr. Horacio Guajardo in Monterrey this past week.  She asked me to go with her and since he was one of the docs I was considering for my surgery I thought it would be a good idea to go with her for moral support and I could check things out while we were there. (yes, I let her be the gunie pig . . .LOL!) We were both REALLY impressed with Dr Horacio and the entire  experience.  The hospital is absolutley gorgeous and the care she received was incredible!  I think the thing that amazed me the most was the pride everyone took in their jobs and the respect they had for each other and for us. 

Dr Horacio (as he likes to be called his patients) took a lot of his time talking with me and answering all of my questions about having the sleeve surgery (and why prices vary so much from surgeon to surgeon . . .now I don't mind paying a little bit more).  I talked with several of the nurses too and they all had very nice things to say about him and said all of his patients adore him.  Anyway, I'm done procrastinating . . .my surgery is scheduled with him in mid April!!!
I might even call him Monday and see if I can move it up a week.  I am ready to GO!!!

I can't believe this is really happening!!!!!

I only have to do a 7 day pre op diet.  4 days of full liquids and 3 days of clear ligquids.  He gave me a list of suggested protien shakes but said I could use just about any protein shake that is low fat and low carbs.  

Can everyone who is post op or on pre o diets share experience about what shakes taste the best.  I know if it tastes good, it'll make it a lot easier pre and post op. 

Dusty 

kathemil
on 3/27/09 9:36 pm - MD
Hi Dusty! I had my surgery in Monterrey too! I had mine done by a Dr. Zapata tho. The shakes that I found to be good and I still continue to drink them even after 2 months out are the EAS AdvantEDGE and the EAS Myoplex. You can find them at Walmart. They are ready made drinks and a pack of 4 cost like about $5. I bought them in Chocolate, Vanilla and Strawberry. With the vanilla shake I mix it up a bit...with butterscotch pudding, or with banana cream pudding or I'll put a little coffee and chocolate syrup in it. WIth the vanilla flavor you can add different things to it. Good luck!
Dustyranchgal
on 3/30/09 12:02 pm - Laredo, TX
Hi ,

How ironic . . .I was in the Viamin Shoppe today and they had some of the vanilla pre-mixed Mypolex shakes on clearance so I bought a 4 pack. I tried one tonight with crushed ice in my new magic bullet (the magic bullet is really a neat little gadget).  It tasted pretty good that way, so I'm sure spiffing it up a bit would make it taste even better.  Thanks for the tips.

FYI, while I was at the Vitamin Shoppe I picked up some of the tubes of EAS liguid protein.  Have you seen  or tried them?  They are super cool!  Each tube is 3 oz and they come in a variety of fruity flavors (I got the fruit punch and the grape)  Each tube has 42 grams of protein.  I picked up a 12 pack of them to keep on hand for those days when I might need the added protein in a hurry.   If you haven't already, give them a try.

Thanks again,

Dusty   
Dustyranchgal
on 3/30/09 12:09 pm - Laredo, TX
OOPS. . . the liquid protein tubes are called New Whey, not EAS or whatever I said before.  My brain is tired . . .need to call it a day.

Thanks again,

Dusty 
dak0207
on 3/27/09 11:10 pm
OK Here's the scoop!   Our support group had a smoothie party a couple weeks ago and we had the best time.  Here are a couple.  I buy "Dessert Protein" off the internet and they are VERY good.  130cal 7g carbs.  1 scoop dessert protein, 1/2 banana/ 1heaping tsp PeterPat whipped pnut butter, 2 tbs sf ff  vanilla pudding powder, 8oz ff milk. 

1 scoop dessert protein , 1/2 banana, froz strawberries, 8oz ff milk, 2 tbs sf ff vanilla pudding powder. 

You don't need much pnut butter for a good flavor and the dry pudding mix makes it like a true milkshake.  You will be amazed.

Some of the other smoothies added yogurt, fruit juices, frozen berries(careful of the seeds some people cant tolerate them).    I always use milk with mine...I need the xtra calcium.
There was also one with applesauce and butterscotch pudding mix....tasted like carmel apple!

BTW  I also like the EAS low carb for on the go in the  car ( a favorite munching place me, past tense)
Best of luck on your weight loss journey!  Keep me posted .  let me know if you like the smoothies or if you invent one of your own.

Diana
liveinphx
on 3/28/09 12:43 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I only like the ready to drink ones, no powders for me.
I like EAS Myoplex light, Muscle Milk light, Atkins shakes are good as well.  There is one called Zoic that I really really like but it is hard to find and I ended up ordering it on-line.
Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
Dustyranchgal
on 3/30/09 12:13 pm - Laredo, TX
Hi,

I tried the Myoplex today and it was pretty good.  My friend who just got the band had me try her Banana Cream (powder) from GNC with fat free milk and crushed ice.  That was really, really, really GOOOOOD!.  I'm almos afraid to buy it for fear of taking in too many of the dreaded liquid calories.  That stuff was just too good. . .LOL!!!

I'll have to try the muscle milk as I've heard others say they like it.  

Thanks,

Dusty 
Dustyranchgal
on 3/30/09 12:08 pm - Laredo, TX
Diana,

Wow, those sound yummy!  I will keep this info in my "post op survival guide" 

Yesterday I blended some cottage cheese and some of the natures three berries (frozen section at Costco) and it was REALLY good! 

A smoothie party sounds like fun.  I'll have to get some weight loss pals together and try it  before or after my surgery.

Thanks again,

Dusty
mjksxz
on 4/1/09 5:19 am - spring creek, NV
i  use GNC 100% whey choc

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics