Need some help with Husband about surgery "LONG"

L N
on 3/12/09 6:22 am
Hi, I am hoping that with some of you all's help, I can convince my husband, that I might actually live thru WLS in Mexico.  I want to get the VSG surgery.

Have not made up my mind for sure, but right now leaning towards Dr. Aceves, or Dr. Alvarez.  I would really appreciate it if I could get a few of you to PM me about your experience with these Dr's in Mexico. 

My husand,  Frank does not have a clue how to operate a computer, so I am going to print off your respones and let him read them.

I would also appreciate it if you would tell him how much better you feel physically, as well as mentality after surgery and losing weight.  

My husband is 6" 4" and weighs around 180, my daughter is 20 yrs old 5"5" 115 pds.  They both don't understand my addiction to food.  They are fussing at me about getting WLS in the first place, saying why don't you just cut back on your eating, get off your butt and exercise, etc. etc.

Well, first of all I have dieted all my life, only to lose weight and gain it back and more.  Exercise is kinda hard when you are so heavy and winded you can hardly to housework, let along excercise, but as you can see from above, neither of them know what that feels like.

Also my insurance will not pay anything at all for WLS, so they both think the WLS will be money thrown away.  I think they believe it will be just like with my other dieting with weigh****chers, or diet pills, etc it will work for a month or two and then she will start eating everything and gain it all back and more. 

I have tried to explain to them that WLS is different.  It is a better tool that the other methods I have used, and I stand a better chance at changing my eating habits, and keeping the weight off, but I don't think they believe me, or understand how WLS works.

Will the self-payers, please tell my husband that this was some of the best money that was ever spent on yourself and your family. 

Also ladies, would love for you to tell my husband what your men think about you after WLS.  Not just the looks part, but the overall difference it has made between the two of you.

His name is Frank,  and I would love for you to address him, so that I can show him that these messages are coming from real people, who had WLS in Mexico and survived.

So this is so long, but I need your help.

Thank you for your time and support.
Lavanda
bonnied
on 3/12/09 11:44 am, edited 3/12/09 11:45 am - St. Albans, VT
Dear Frank,

I read your wife's story on Obesityhelp.com and it reminds me so much of my own story, it brought tears to my eyes.

I had been overweight since the day I was born, ten pounds to be exact. By the time I was age 12, I weighed 200 pounds. Let me say I live in Vermont, one of the healthiest states in the country, so being a huge "fatty" as my friends and I call it, was EXTREMELY hard. I was tortured my whole life. I always had to get better grades and work harder at jobs to make people see that I was not "lazy" like many people stereotype the obese. I could go on and on about the emotional aspect and impact of obesity for hours, but I won't. Please just realize that it is real and can really impact the obese person's quality of life.

Until I actually lost weight, I never knew how it felt to be "normal" because I was never a normal weight. I actually thought that everyone went home and sat on the couch all night after working all day. I never knew that "normal" people would play with their kids, clean the house and do  other activities!

My actual turning point was not my health. Even though I am a nurse and knew better, that I REALLY had to lose 100 pounds to fix my diabetes and high blood pressure! My turning point was hearing my first grade son defend his fat mom to a schoolmate who said "Your mom is so fat!" It broke my heart.

I had been on doctor prescribed and other diets since age 5. They didn't work. From being a nurse and doing the research, I found out the truth about true obesity. The real truth is that someone who is 100 pounds or more overweight only has a 1% chance or less of losing it without surgery. So in other words, you have a 99% chance of failure on the diet. Your body and mind just fight against you.

I looked into surgery for 10 years before I actually had it done. It's not an easy way out to let some guy rearrange your guts, and risk you life in the process. You risk your life in surgery, in the USA or anywhere.

Surgery is not a cop out, or easy at all. It has forced me to conform, and make good choices. Now that I have lost weight, I have too much to lose to ever go back to 264 pounds. I struggle each and every day. I have had a lot of changes in friendships (lost my best friend) and almost ended up divorced because it was hard for my husband to see men look at me as I lost weight. It was far from easy.

Because the health care system I work for did not cover surgery, I had to self pay. I could not afford the $40,000 here, so I went to Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey, Mexico. All my research kept leading me to him as the best surgeon.

He has done more surgeries than the "trusted" doctors in my area. The hospital was cleaner and more up to date than the hospital I currently work for. Then even have a lower complication rate. I was well cared for and believe me, as  RN, I know what to look for.

I went into the whole thing thinking this: If there was one thing I was not comfortable with when I got there, I was getting on a plane and going home! I had right up until the time they put me under to back out!

It went fine, no problems.

My life has changed in so many ways for the good. I have energy now. I live, I don't just struggle through my super busy work day as a surgical nurse and then sit ont he couch. I feel comfortable in my own skin. When people look at me now, they do not automatically think I am fat and lazy. They just see a nice looking, normal woman. I get treated better, people now look me in the eye. They never did that before. When I go into a store, men will actually hold the door open for me. That never happened to me before, MY WHOLE LIFE, until I lost weight. They would just let the door close in my face. Imagine what that does to you mentally. It breaks you down, makes you lose your will to live, you only exist.

So, my 30th birthday gift to myself was surgery. I had spent my entire life up until that point sacrificing myself for others, my family, my son, my job and patients. Instead of buying a new car, I kept driving my old one and bought a new life. It cost me about $16,000 (with travel expenses). I still drive the old car, by the way.

It's been 4 years this year. I no longer have high blood pressure or diabetes. I no longer have to see the doctor every 2 months for check ups or spend money on 5 prescription medications per month. According to my calculations, when you add up the co-pays for doctors visits, medications and travel to and from the doctor, my surgery will have paid for itself in less than 7 years.

Surgery is not for everyone. It is hard. It takes work. The patient does not get to sit back and relax, they have to work. What surgery does is give you the assistance to make it work. It gives you motivation and enough results to keep working hard.

Frank, I do not ask you to just agree to letting your wife have surgery. I ask you to just not say no. I ask you to learn more about it. Go to a meeting for a local bariatric center. You guys can still go and learn about it, sign up for their program and use your local resources. I did. I enrolled in my local program and went through the classes. I knew my insurance did not cover it. I just kept my mouth shut. Most bariatric surgery programs make you jump through all the hoops before they submit your insurance request and find out they will not pay. I went to the classes with the nutritionist and surgeons and learned the information on how to care for myself after surgery.  Don't just rely on the internet. Go meet the people who know about the surgery. It really helps you see the pros and cons of surgery.

I wish you both all the best in this journey. I would be happy to share more of my experience if you feel it might be more valueable, just shoot me an email.

Sincerely,
Bonnie DuBois, RN
RNY surgery on 6/3/05
started at 264 pounds (waist 50 inches--size 24)
currently 149 pounds (28 inch waist--size 6/8)
I'm 5'5" tall
liveinphx
on 3/13/09 4:38 am - Phoenix, AZ
Dear Frank and Lavanda
Let me introduce myself and tell you my story.
I am 53 yo (52 at time of surgery). I am 5 ft tall and weighed 263 before my surgery in June 2008. Since then I have lost over 110 lbs, gotten off all blood pressure meds and no longer have sleep apnea. I went from size 28 to size 12 clothes. I am now walking over 5 miles just about every day and doing that in well under an hour.
Before surgery I could not walk from my car to office without sweating and panting like a big dog after a long run.
I had reached a point in my life where I knew everything I had previously tried was not working. I had tried dieting, I had tried exercizing and everything in between. Yes I would lose weight but I would end up putting it back on and then some.
I too was self pay, so could have had any of the weight loss surgery procedures out there but I chose to have the sleeve procedure.
The reason I chose the sleeve were more about ME and my needs. wants and personal lifestyle and beliefs than the procedures themselves. All can be good procedures with good results.
I chose the sleeve because I did NOT want a procedure that involved malabsorbtion such as the RNY or DS bypass type procedures. Many people do great with them but I personally do not think malabsorbtion is a good thing. That is MY PERSONAL belief.
I did not want the lapband because I did not want to deal with having to get fills and I don't like needles. Again, many folks have great results with the band type procedures it was just not for me.
As far as Mexico goes what you may not know is that many of the surgeons doing the sleeve procedure in MX have far more experience with this procedure than many of the surgeons in the US. They have done more procedures over more time. That is not hype it is true.
There are many experienced, skilled, professional excellent surgeons in MX, some that advertise on this board that Lavanda is considering. Many folks on this board have gone to these surgeons and had excellent outcomes.
Is there risk involved with surgery, sure there is but there is also really high risks associated with obesity and related illnesses.
Is there increased violence in many of the border towns in MX, yep there is however the 2 options your wife is considering are not cities that are traditionally known for the violence.  Mexicali and Piedras Negras are smaller type cities with not as much risk. Speaking of risks, let's put that in context as well. She/you will not be going there to hang out in bars and/or buy drugs. You will be picked up at the airport, driven directly to the hospital or hotel. These hospitals are geared towards providing surgeries for many many AMERICAN patients who like Levanda cannot afford to have the procedure in the US.
Although I did not use the hospitals or surgeons Levanda is considering let me share my experience.
I was picked up at the San Diego airport on a Friday morning. The driver spoke English and was polite and professional. He drove us directly to the hospital and the surgeon came and met me at the van. He walked me thorugh the intake and pre-op testing process. I had surgery late Friday morning and each day I was in the hospital he came to see me at least 3 times each day.
My Friday evening I was up and walking aruond the hospital unassisted. He did 2 tests while I was in the OR to make sure there were no leaks. The morning after surgery he did 2 more tests. I had a drain in from surgery and one of the tests involved drinking a blue colored solutions which, if there had been a leak, would have shown in the drain. By Saturday afternoon I was drinking liquids. My IV was taken out.  I do not like apple juice which is what was served so the surgeon went to the store and purchased Gatorade for me, sadly I did not like the flavor (I swear I am not really picky) so the surgeon went and got me flavors I did like at no charge to me.
On Sunday the drain was taken out and the surgeon and I walked across the street to the hotel which was also covered (it was covered for 3 days following surgery). I needed no pain meds once I left the hospital. I was able to tolerate drinking liquids with no problems, was in no pain and walking around with no problems. I was also bored. The surgeon and I discussed and and since I was  doing so well and had no problems I was allowed to come home on Monday. Had there been a problem I would have been able to stay the full 3 days and/or been admitted back to the hospital and/or not discharged in the first place.
I have had no problems post op. My surgeon was great and has been in touch with me several times since my surgery.
My procedure cost me around 9K whi*****luded everything except airfare to San Diego which was fairly cheap as I live in AZ.
The same surgery would have been over 20K in the US and I know I would not have gotten the attention and care I got in MX.
It is also tax dedcutible which was a great write off for me this year.
I am happy to answer any other questions/concerns you might have. Please feel free to PM me.
I would also encourage you to post this same message on the VSG board. Many many folks there had the sleeve done in MX, however this board does not get the action the VSG board does
Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
archman
on 3/14/09 12:18 am
Dear Frank:

Had Gastric Bypass two years ago.  Went to Puerto Villarta by myself for the surgery.  Same story as everyone.  Insurance would not cover cost.
Was walking the neighborhood the other day.  Elderly man I know was sitting in his driveway.  Walked up to him to say hello.  He said that I scared him because he did not recognize me after the weight loss.

Support your wife in her decision.  Weight loss surgery will change her life and your life.   On the day of my flight, I was having second thoughts.  My wife, whom I love dearly, practically pushed me out the door and said you are going to have the surgery and I will see you in nine days.

All the best,
Archman
Idaho Bandito
on 3/14/09 3:00 pm
Lavanda,

I'm not sure if you know. . .there is a forum here on OH for spouses of weight loss surgery patients (and those wanting to have surgery.  Maybe he can take time and read some of those posts too.  Here is the link:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/spouses_of_wls_patients/

I hope this helps!

BB 
katydidit64
on 3/16/09 4:26 pm - north port, FL
Dear Frank and Lavanda....

I would add my 2 cents about surgery in Mexico but everybody here has done a far better job than I ever could do!  

The only comment I would like to reinforce is going to a local surgeons program and keeping your mouth shut about your plans to have surgery in Mexico.... My husband and I went to support group meetings, nutritional programs, etc for about 5 mos prior to me having the surgery... It was very difficult to schedule these into our busy lives but I needed his support and help to make this dream come true... so he needed to learn along with me.... He was dragged kicking and screaming (Okay I'm kidding here) to all the meetings and preop presentations that I could find within a 2 hour radius of our home... we learned alot, he was more relieved about the idea of surgery the more things we went to and the more post op patients that we meet. He also became more of an avid supporter towards other people looking into having the procedure done.  Eventually I did have my surgery about 3 years ago.... since then my best friend (DH) has been the best support group out there.... We attend any support groups we can find in the areas we travel... we both spend time reading posts here on OH  and he helps me when I have a tendency to be bad!

As far as Mexico is concerned I did not have my original surgery there... I would have if Ins. wouldn't have paid.... however last week I did have a full lower body lift, breast lift, and augmentation done in Tijuana.... the previous posters are correct about safety issues... you are not at the bars, not attempting to buy drugs, not hanging out in the nightlife areas so the chances of problems are slim to none!  We walked across the border, taxied to the clinic several times without any difficulties whatsoever!  No problems with the locals they were very friendly and helpful... especially since I forgot to bring the address and like a typical American I thought they should all just know where the clinic was!  It was a good thing I had printed off the little map (so haha i could tell if they weren't taking us to the right place!) It wasn't the best but for $5 they took us right where we needed to go!

Changes in our lives.... Things have changed so much for the better now... My energy level is so much higher, yes there is life after work that doesn't include just the couch and TV!  My health has improved I no longer need some of the medications I used to take, unfortunately still need my diabetes pills but the quantity and dosage has decreased substatually. My emotional self has improved dramatically since then as well and this has improved our marriage making it stronger and better than ever!

Physical looks.... my husband was always very loving never telling me about my weight problem... however now, he sure likes to spend time looking at me! As well as watch other 'men' notice me when we are out and about!
I have to admit I like it too!

So hopefully you will attend meetings together and learn as much as possible about all the surgery options, discussing each ones pro and cons and make a final decision about which surgery is right for you, your eating habits, your lifestyle needs, and finally the surgery that will be the most comfortable for you to decide on together!

Happy Reading and learning!

Persona363
on 4/1/09 9:19 am
On March 16, 2009 at 11:26 PM Pacific Time, katydidit64 wrote:
Dear Frank and Lavanda....

I would add my 2 cents about surgery in Mexico but everybody here has done a far better job than I ever could do!  

The only comment I would like to reinforce is going to a local surgeons program and keeping your mouth shut about your plans to have surgery in Mexico.... My husband and I went to support group meetings, nutritional programs, etc for about 5 mos prior to me having the surgery... It was very difficult to schedule these into our busy lives but I needed his support and help to make this dream come true... so he needed to learn along with me.... He was dragged kicking and screaming (Okay I'm kidding here) to all the meetings and preop presentations that I could find within a 2 hour radius of our home... we learned alot, he was more relieved about the idea of surgery the more things we went to and the more post op patients that we meet. He also became more of an avid supporter towards other people looking into having the procedure done.  Eventually I did have my surgery about 3 years ago.... since then my best friend (DH) has been the best support group out there.... We attend any support groups we can find in the areas we travel... we both spend time reading posts here on OH  and he helps me when I have a tendency to be bad!

As far as Mexico is concerned I did not have my original surgery there... I would have if Ins. wouldn't have paid.... however last week I did have a full lower body lift, breast lift, and augmentation done in Tijuana.... the previous posters are correct about safety issues... you are not at the bars, not attempting to buy drugs, not hanging out in the nightlife areas so the chances of problems are slim to none!  We walked across the border, taxied to the clinic several times without any difficulties whatsoever!  No problems with the locals they were very friendly and helpful... especially since I forgot to bring the address and like a typical American I thought they should all just know where the clinic was!  It was a good thing I had printed off the little map (so haha i could tell if they weren't taking us to the right place!) It wasn't the best but for $5 they took us right where we needed to go!

Changes in our lives.... Things have changed so much for the better now... My energy level is so much higher, yes there is life after work that doesn't include just the couch and TV!  My health has improved I no longer need some of the medications I used to take, unfortunately still need my diabetes pills but the quantity and dosage has decreased substatually. My emotional self has improved dramatically since then as well and this has improved our marriage making it stronger and better than ever!

Physical looks.... my husband was always very loving never telling me about my weight problem... however now, he sure likes to spend time looking at me! As well as watch other 'men' notice me when we are out and about!
I have to admit I like it too!

So hopefully you will attend meetings together and learn as much as possible about all the surgery options, discussing each ones pro and cons and make a final decision about which surgery is right for you, your eating habits, your lifestyle needs, and finally the surgery that will be the most comfortable for you to decide on together!

Happy Reading and learning!

Hello Katy:

I read your post, which surgeon in TJ did you use for your procedures?  Did you recently get them done?  Do you mind sharing the cost (breakdown, if possible).  Was the Dr. recommended to you or did you select through your own research?  How long were you in the hospital for?

Congratulations on your weigh loss success and on feeling as great as you deserve to feel.  I cannot wait to get there too!
katydidit64
on 4/1/09 11:06 am - north port, FL
hi.. I just had plastic surgery done March 9th stayed overnite at the facility and then 3 days in a hotel prior to leaving the area (he wanted 10 days but i was only 2 hrs away so left anyway).  It was the best present i ever gave myself!  The surgeon was Dr. Fuentes from cosmed clinic... you can find out more info on him here in the plastic surgery forum... lets see costs..

Body Lift          $5000.00
Breast lift with augmentation $2400.00
Implants         $1000.00
facility fee       $1200
Anesthesia    $900.00
Total                $10,500.00

Surgery went great! I am feeling great and back to work finally... no healing or surgical issues experienced (at this point knock on wood).  tired of wearing body suits for support... (got mine at walmart) but will need to wear them for a few months I guess...

anyway Hopefully things are going as well for you as they have for me... I must say I feel like I skated thru both surgeries.... not near as much pain or discomfort as i thought I should have experienced... 
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views