Dr Almanza?

angel78
on 3/11/09 11:19 am - norcross, GA
Hello,
Im trying to go to Dr Almanza for the lap band but I cant find munch info on him. I have found some and most of it is good. Mostly everything really just not much. I see all these doctors have all these reviews and Im wondering if I should be worried?

any info would help, thanks
tulipsforme
on 3/11/09 11:54 am
Not finding a lot of information on a doctor is usually not a good sign. Research the hospital  you might find information this way. in your place I would find out where he works out of and see if the hospital works with other reputable surgeons.  Do not go on price alone. Research the city where he works out of  too,  this is important too.

sandyv63
on 3/12/09 2:32 am - Naples, FL
There are plenty of good Mexican doctors to choose from. Some of them get recommendations on this site and then everybody goes to the same doc.  Do your homework and check out any doc you are interested in. I don't think it is necessarily a bad indication if there is less info available because of the reason I just stated. If he is a truly awful doctor, you will find that out when you do your research.

My personal experience with this doc is limited. I inquired about an RNY and the coordinator was very friendly and answered all my questions. Then I changed my mind and asked about the DS. I know this is a more involved procedure and I wanted to see if he even performed it. She responded immediately and said that he did. I asked her to quote me a price but she never responded. I sent a couple of emails but never heard back. I don't think this is necessarily an indication of a bad doc, but it made me suspicious. I don't think he does the DS so I have decided to go with Dr. Liza Maria Pompa in Tijuana instead.

Just curious... why the lap band? Have you researched the other WLS that are available?
liveinphx
on 3/12/09 3:43 am - Phoenix, AZ
I agree that just because there are not many posts or recommendations about a surgeon on THIS site does not mean they are not excellent, skilled and experienced surgeons.
Keep in mind that that surgeons that pay to advertise on this site get used more, so more folks talk about them, so they get used more and so it goes.
Please research all the surgical options and doctors both on and off OH so you can make an informed decision that is right for you.
Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
FabBy50 .
on 3/26/09 7:35 am - Everett, WA
I just had surgery at Emmanuel Medical on the 16th and I had avery good experience. Dr Almanza is a very good surgeon, I have had no problems at all. Do yourself a favor and use him, they are less than anyone else and the surgery is the same no matter who does it.

Before I had my band done I studied the internet for over 6 months, I could not find much about him either. So I just kept looking and finally talked to over 20 people that have used him and not one had even the smallest complaint. That did it for me. I will tell you that if you want a big fancy hospital and someone to hold your hand thru this, they are not the one for you. I would call this a no frills place, yes it is new and very nice but not very big. I had surgery on Monday flew home on Wednesday and so far it is the best decision I have ever made!!!

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to write back I will answer anything you ask.

Good Luck, Bernadette
Christina W.
on 4/1/09 12:18 pm - Buford, GA
I had surgery with Dr. Almanza on January 12th and it was an amazing experience. Everything went exactly as planned, and I brought my mother (who is a Registerd Nurse of 30+ years) who was also very impressed with the whole experience.
Please let me know if I can answer any questions you may have.

Happy Losing!

Includes 6lbs lost on pre-op    Updated 4/11/09
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views