Two Questions on Mexico 1) Dr and 2) Safety

isolde0221
on 3/6/09 8:47 am - SAN ANTONIO, TX
I just got back from Mexicali and actually asked our driver about the violence being reported in Mexico.  It is almost only around Tijuana and involves assorted drug cartel familys fighting each other.  He told me that over 4000 people have died in this violence.  WOW!  I was never afraid in Mexicali.  It is completely safe.  I don't think I would be afraid in Tijuana either, but I would think twice before going there.

Dr. Alvarez should be prefectly fine.  There aren't really any problems around his area.

Good luck!!

p.s.  I am TOTALLY sold on Mexico for Medical procedures now.  I am hoping to go back to Mexicali a year from now for some dental work! lol
Kalop01
on 3/6/09 9:10 am - dallas, TX
On March 6, 2009 at 4:47 PM Pacific Time, isolde0221 wrote:
I just got back from Mexicali and actually asked our driver about the violence being reported in Mexico.  It is almost only around Tijuana and involves assorted drug cartel familys fighting each other.  He told me that over 4000 people have died in this violence.  WOW!  I was never afraid in Mexicali.  It is completely safe.  I don't think I would be afraid in Tijuana either, but I would think twice before going there.

Dr. Alvarez should be prefectly fine.  There aren't really any problems around his area.

Good luck!!

p.s.  I am TOTALLY sold on Mexico for Medical procedures now.  I am hoping to go back to Mexicali a year from now for some dental work! lol
OT ....

You mentioned dental work.  

Is there any forums for mexico dental work like this forum for obesity?   How do you find good mexico dentist (good reputation/ good work/ good prices) ?

My mom is looking to get dentures and everyone local (dallas) is quoting her from $7 - $15k    ...   OUCH
Gracies
on 3/16/09 5:14 am
You may want to check over on psjourneys for recs on dentist.  I know Dr. Torres in TJ gets rave reviews over there.

********************* Don't go to Tijuana whatever you do*******************

Idaho Bandito
on 3/6/09 9:11 am
HI,

It's great that you are doing your research and being careful about where you go.  Yes, there is a lot of violence going on in Mexico right now near Juarez, T.J and mostly border towns so you'll want to avoid those places, of course (or at least til things settle down again)

I just got back from Monterrey which is way inland.  I flew into Monterrey from Houston and came out the same way.  Monterrey is a very safe city and also the most educated.  It's known above all else for it's superior health care.  If I could, I'd go there for ALL of my healthcare. . .no kidding!!!

I would advise choosing a surgeon who is BOARD CERTIFIED in bariatric surgery and preferably in laparoscopic and general surgery as well.  Also, choos a hospital that is accredited by the Joint Commission International (JCI)  This means they've been put through the tests from the US organization, Joint Commission assuring you standards equal to or higher than standards in the US.  Here is a good example:
www.drhoracio.com

The number of reviews a surgeon has here on OH does not necessarily mean that they are or are not the best.  Some surgeons might only have a few reviews on OH simply because they just started advertising on OH.  You need to research the whole enchilada. . .LOL!!!  

The OH staff  used to list the surgeon profiles in alphabetical order, but not they list the surgeons in order based on the number of reviews they have each month. So basically, whoever is in the number one position has has the most patient reviews that month and so on. . .

Hope this helps!  Feel free to e-mail with any questions.

Good luck and take care,

BB
www.drhoracio.com
Lap Band 11/95
130 pounds lost and lovin' life!!!!
Kalop01
on 3/6/09 11:07 am - dallas, TX
On March 6, 2009 at 5:11 PM Pacific Time, Idaho Bandito wrote:
HI,

It's great that you are doing your research and being careful about where you go.  Yes, there is a lot of violence going on in Mexico right now near Juarez, T.J and mostly border towns so you'll want to avoid those places, of course (or at least til things settle down again)

I just got back from Monterrey which is way inland.  I flew into Monterrey from Houston and came out the same way.  Monterrey is a very safe city and also the most educated.  It's known above all else for it's superior health care.  If I could, I'd go there for ALL of my healthcare. . .no kidding!!!

I would advise choosing a surgeon who is BOARD CERTIFIED in bariatric surgery and preferably in laparoscopic and general surgery as well.  Also, choos a hospital that is accredited by the Joint Commission International (JCI)  This means they've been put through the tests from the US organization, Joint Commission assuring you standards equal to or higher than standards in the US.  Here is a good example:
www.drhoracio.com

The number of reviews a surgeon has here on OH does not necessarily mean that they are or are not the best.  Some surgeons might only have a few reviews on OH simply because they just started advertising on OH.  You need to research the whole enchilada. . .LOL!!!  

The OH staff  used to list the surgeon profiles in alphabetical order, but not they list the surgeons in order based on the number of reviews they have each month. So basically, whoever is in the number one position has has the most patient reviews that month and so on. . .

Hope this helps!  Feel free to e-mail with any questions.

Good luck and take care,

BB
www.drhoracio.com
Lap Band 11/95
130 pounds lost and lovin' life!!!!
GREAT advice, thanks

Where can I get a list of Doctors who fit that criteria ?

1) Board Certified Bariatric Surgery
2) JCI accredited hospital

I noticed in Dr Horacio's info., he said Monterrey was 1 of only 3 hospitals that had JCI.  
I also noticed Dr Horacio has ton of lap bands, but less than 100 sleeves, I wonder why.
I emailed Dr H for cash quote for sleeve and more info.

-K

bonnied
on 3/7/09 8:40 am - St. Albans, VT
I had Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey do my RNY.
Believe me, I know about the flack you are getting from your family and friends!
I can honestly tell you that you will NOT be having surgery in an alley behind a tortilla fatory with Dr. Rumbaut!
The hospital San Jose is really clean and friendly, and they do heart transplants there! They are educated! I was fully prepared to get right back on a plane and head home if I did not like what I saw at that hospital! I went right into the OR and looked around the morning of my surgery before I went through with it!
I had a great experience, and believe me, I know what to look for, I am a RN with many years of surgical experience. Unfortuneately, both my job and hubbys insurance did not cover WLS at the time, so I had no choice but to go south of the border (From VERMONT--mind you).
His website is www.gastricband.com
Too bad I don't get paid for all these referrals!
I will recommend that whomever you go with, make sure it is a hospital, not a clinic! If by some slim chance you need hospital services, then they are immediately available to you.

Good luck!
Bonnie
RNY 6/3/05
264/149
5'5.5"
BMI 23.9!!!!

Kalop01
on 3/9/09 11:38 am - dallas, TX
Wow, Dr. Horacio is $11,000 cash for VSG.  
Thats solid $1,000 more than Dr. Alvarez.

For $14k I can get Dr. Wade her locally to do VSG.

Tough decision, for sure.

So, no one knows how I can get a list of Mexico Dr's who fit that criteria ?
1) Board Certified Bariatric Surgery
2) JCI accredited hospital

Txs
(deactivated member)
on 3/9/09 12:48 pm
VSG on 04/06/09 with
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/3881890/Please-give-in fo-on-Dr-Alvarez/

Hello Kalop,

The above link leads to a thread on the VSG forum (come on over for a visit) 

There are several people who describe their choice and why for Dr Alvarez.  Look at all the posts as there are some links posted in some of them, that provide more insight to the good Dr Alvarez.

Take some time, read them all.

I am going myself on 6 April...coming all the way from Eastern Canada to pay 9750 for my VSG.  I can't wait.

PM me if you have any questions and you think I can help.

Cheers.....Jane
ravenjj1
on 5/29/09 6:21 am - Dartmouth, Canada
 Hi Jane:
I saw your post while I was researching Mexico for my lap band surgery.  I too am from Nova Scotia and am tired of waiting for the province to help me out so I've decided to do it on my own.   Would you mind sharing your experience with me?  I'd like to know how everything went with you.

Jeni
katydidit64
on 3/11/09 11:18 pm - north port, FL
Good morning all... just had plastics in TJ monday, my follow up appt prior to leaving the area is today.  Will have to retun in 10 days for drain removal and final follow up though.

The way I see it is if you stay out of the 'tourist' meaning partyin areas its pretty safe. 

The only thing that has been perplexing is the cost of transport from the hotel to the clinic... website said $10 but they charged me $40... you can walk across the border and get a taxi for $5...

But I guess everyone has to make a living too...
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 624 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views