Dr. Aceves March 3rd

mrpepe
on 2/12/09 5:18 pm - NorCal, CA
Hey all,

I've been coming to this site for a long time and contemplating WLS for over a year. I finally went ahead and set a date. I went with Dr. Aceves because everthing everyone has to say about him appears positive and I live in California so he's easiest to get to.

Anyone have any advice specific to Dr. Aceves and Mexicali?

Is anyone on here going to be there the same time as me? I'm having VSG on 3/3

Also wondering about recovery. How was it going back to work after the surgery. My job isn't super strenuous but it isn't a desk job either. I do tech stuff in the field that requires me to move around electronics, carry tools and things in an out. 
isolde0221
on 2/18/09 4:39 am - SAN ANTONIO, TX
I'll just miss you!  My surgery date is the 24th but I plan on spending a couple extra days at the hotel after the surgery just to be on the safe side.  Good luck!  And I'll keep you posted on my experience. 
mrpepe
on 3/7/09 11:33 am - NorCal, CA
Hope yours went well. I got back from mine on Friday afternoon and i'm feeling really good now. The first day and a half after the surgery was hard. Now I only have a tiny bit of pain on my side, and I can sleep with no problems. Getting used to the all liquid diet but it's not so bad. I'm only a little hungry even though I've had nothing in my stomach but liquid for days. I feel good enough to go back to work, and I have a job where I set my own schedule so I'm probably going back Tuesday and see how it goes.

So now I'm feeling pretty good about the whole thing. The hosipital and staff and dr. aceves were all great. I was a little worried about going to Mexico but having done it, I think i may well have gotten better care there than I would have at some hospitals in the US.

The life-chaning aspect of this is starting to sink in. I don't think I'll have regrets but I am getting used to the idea of having to eat differently from now on. It's not really a big deal in my private life but I know it's going to be issue once i'm on solid food and going out for meals with other people. I don't really like to talk about what is really a personal health decision with eveyrone I happen to have lunch with. But I also can't just constantly tell people oh Im not that hungry when I'm eating my tiny portion .People are going to think it's weird if I don't explain it after awhile. At this point though, that's the only thing that really worries me and it's not such a big deal.
isolde0221
on 3/8/09 12:43 am - SAN ANTONIO, TX
I know what you mean.  I only told three people I was going and that was for work reasons more than anything.

I may decide to tell others, I may not.  I guess I'll see what happens.  I, like you, am a fairly private person when it comes to things like this so I know where you are coming from. 

In July I am going to Vegas where I am meeting a few friends and one of them I know will analyze everything I do.  She is what I consider a failed lap-bander.  She sent out this big announcement to everyone that she was going to do this.  Because she borrowed the money from family to do it and was a "self-pay" I get the feeling the hospital did not fully prepare her for the surgery.  I know in the states they really grill you on making life changes.  Well she hasn't really made any.  She was only a few pounds lighter than I am and I think has always thought "well...at least I am not as heavy as Lisa"  When I arrive in Vegas and weigh less than her I think she'll start looking at everything I do - and not in a good way.  I am not looking forward to that.  Fortunately one of my friends that does know is going too and I think she'll help to shut her up.

Glad your experience was good.  Mine was too!  Like you, my only real discomfort was the first two days.  Really the second day was probably the worst.  It wasn't overwhelming pain, just overall physical discomfort.  Am feeling pretty normal now!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views