Other than this website where is the best place

L N
on 2/9/09 7:22 pm
to research the Dr's in Mexico?  I have been on all of their personal websites, but would like to have more sources that this website and their websites.

I get on here and  hear good stuff about Mexico and the Dr's.  Then I ck on another forum and it is like BEWARE, you are putting yourself in DANGER by going to Mexico.  I am so confused.

So I would love to continue to do more research just need to know what websites to ck out.

Thank you for your time.

Lavanda in SC
Peach
on 2/9/09 9:48 pm - savannah, GA
Another good idea is post a topic on each board asking who had thier surgery in Mexico. Then PM them idividually and ask questions about thier experience with thier Dr.  I traveled to Brazil for my DS, and leave for Mexico for plastics on 3-2-09. I wish you luck in your research.

Jamie K.  SW  /  CW / GW
360 / 157 /  150  
Plastics 3/3/09 In Monterey MX.

Lisey
on 2/10/09 11:17 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
A lot of people are leery of having their surgery south of the border b/c they don't know that their are different grades of hospital - or don't put stock in the fact that several very good, modern, clean, competent hospitals exist there.  Have you ever heard of JHACO?  It's an American society that gives scores based on all these factors to hospitals abroad.  Google the name.  Maybe you can get a list from there for more info.

Since you're in the research process & virtually everybody has not heard of another WLS option, I wanted to tell you that a wonderful option is called the duodenal switch.  There's a lot of misinformation about the surgery.  I encourage you to check out the duodenal switch forum & ask questions, pros & cons.  It has the best long-term outcome & has been performed for 20 years.  I know I hadn't heard of it when I started this journey, but am grateful that I found out about it b/c I am personally convinced it's fantastic.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

liveinphx
on 2/11/09 8:59 am - Phoenix, AZ
I can understand your concern. I too, have seen, several posts re surgery in Mexico particualarly Tijuana and Juarez. I make every attempt to address those posts when I see them and try to give a more balanced view of things. The most recent round of posts I have seen on the VSG board appear to be from folks that have NEVER had surgery in either Tijuana or Juarez.
I have been to both Tijuana and Juarez related to my sleeve procedure and would be happy to answer any questions or concerns you have. Feel free to PM me.
As for research off the OH board I would strongly encourage you to do so. If you know some MD names that you would be considering just google their names and follow up on those leads.
Remember, there are many GREAT surgeons that do not pay to advertise on OH. The trend seems to be that since most folks use the MD's that advertise here, their names get recommended more often, so they get used more and so on. That does not mean that there are not other skilled, experienced, qualified and great docs out there.
I would also encourage to to go to other bariatric weight loss procedure websites.
Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
(deactivated member)
on 2/18/09 11:22 pm
VSG on 04/06/09 with
I tried looking up JHACO......nothing there.

In the process I found what you are talking about under JCAHO....  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JCAHO

and from there it was easy to find.

Thanks for the  tip Lisey. !!
Cali S.
on 2/12/09 5:19 am - Orem, UT
VSG on 06/27/14
I was in the same situation before I decided where and who would do my surgery. I didnt want to jsut go byt he testimonials on the doctors websites cause they probably delete the bad ones.. This website really helped. What I did was find a couple of people that went to each doctor and personal message them and ask them all about thier experiences. Other people will be honest and open with you. I finally decided to go with Dr Joya in Puerto Vallarta becaues 3 ladies that I have become good friends shared thier stories about the wonderful surgeon and hospital and thier recovery on the beach. Take advantage of the people on this website. They are awesome!!

Best of luck with everything.

Cali
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views