Lots o' Advice Needed

(deactivated member)
on 2/5/09 2:58 am - TN
I am a 27 year old female who weighs 347 pounds. I have no health issues other than sleep apnea and depression. I am considering weight loss surgery in Mexico. I hadn't really considered having the surgery due to the costs associated with the procedures in the USA. My friend recently pointed out that having the surgery completed in Mexico is a safe alternative.

With that said, I'm a worry wart. I am a researcher at heart and have been trying to research like mad to understand the procedures themselves and the doctors that have been mentioned here.

Can anyone offer me any advice or point me in the right direction in choosing a specific bariatric surgery and/or surgeon? 

So far, I only know that I don't want the lap band. I have considered the VSG, but I feel like I am steering away from it. I like the weight loss results of the gastric bypass and the duodenal switch.

Is American really safer, when it comes to having surgery in comparison, to Mexico? Is there any need to be concerned about flying so soon after surgery?

Does anyone have any concrete evidence, journal articles, etc., that outline risks?

Is there some sort of governing body or organization for this type of surgery in Mexico? 

I'm basically looking for anything! 
liveinphx
on 2/6/09 9:59 am - Phoenix, AZ

You may want to post your questions on each of the boards such as VSG, DS etc. On each of the boards you will generally find folks who have had the surgery both in the US and other countries primarily MX.
I had my sleeve done in MX and got better care than I ever had in the US. My surgeon came to see me at least 3 times everyday I was there.

Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
Kelly2323
on 2/6/09 1:24 pm - Anchorage, AK
RNY on 11/21/08 with
I had the bypass surgery on 11/21/2008 in mexico with Dr. Joya. My heaviest weight was 328, and the day of surgery I weighed 308.  Today I way 250!! I am completly satisfied with the results I have seen, and I loved Dr. Joya. Mexico was beautiful, and the treatment I recieved in the hospital was amazing, and not only that, after I was released from the hospital I got to recover on the beach.

I was very nervous to go to Mexico and have the surgery, but there was nothing to be nervous about. I think you should really consider the option.

If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a message.
(deactivated member)
on 2/8/09 11:31 pm - TN
I have heard great things about Dr. Joya, too. Researched him a bit, but now have decided I want the DS, so I am researching surgeons for that procedure. I wish you the best and continued success!
Lisey
on 2/7/09 7:07 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
Hi there,

I'm having the DS in Hermosillo, Mexico next month with Dr. Ungson.  He does both gastric bypass & DS.  I've heard many good things about him from others who have gone to him with the DS.  Searching for good hospitals - look to make sure that they are american-accredited by JHACO.  Center of Excellence is also good, but it is a very costly process to get that accreditation, so if a hospital doesn't have it, it doesn't mean the hospital sucks.

dsfacts.com  has TONS of research articles, including risks.  Basically, mortality & moribidity (complications) are about equal for bypass & DS.  You can eat much more the way a person without WLS would eat, but b/c there's so much more malabsorption, you lose just as much.  Long-term results at 5-10 years show MUCH higher regain with bypass versus DS.  A good # of people are successful with bypass long-term, but more are successful with DS.  With the DS, you also don't get those flu-like symptoms that take you out for the count for 2-4 hours from dumping, which happens with a signficant portion of the bypass patients, at least 30-40%.  With the DS, you also don't have to worry about not being able to take anti-inflammatories, you cannot do this with the RNY as it's a high risk of stomach ulcers.  If you ever have a problem with your stomach, you can't get it scoped with the RNY b/c it's stapled off, you can with the DS. 

I have read a lot of research on WLS, it's what actually introduced me to the duodenal switch, before that, I had never heard of it so I didn't start out biased against the bypass.  It really is the fact that after reading all of the research on the differences, I am utterly convinced it's a superior operation.  I hope you do to!  Check out dsfacts.com for research articles.  You have to take vitamins with the RNY, you also have to take vitamins with the DS, just different vitamins, & you usually have to take 4-6 vitamins with DS & most RNY's I believe take an average of 3.  You don't poop your brains out (common misinformation spread about DS).  Lots of questions on the DS board about that from people who are trying to decide on an option, so I've read over & over again about the many, many people who post their poops regimen.  It's also supported by research.

I hope to see you on the DS board soon!!!!  Good luck in whatever you decide :}

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

Dustyranchgal
on 2/7/09 3:19 pm - Laredo, TX
You are not alone!  I have been researching this for months now.  Well, actually I sarted looking into lap band last year, then like you, I've switched gears and am looking into sleeve or rny bypass.  
I've talked to a lot of the MX offices, coordinators . . you name it.  Most turned me off b/c they were trying to either rush me or pushing me towards lap band and I know myself well enought ot know the band wont' do it for me long term.  

Anyway, someone from this forum suggested I contact Dr Horacio Guajardo in Monterrey.  I called and talked with his  US coordinator for a long time, then I did my own research about him. I will talk with him on Monday, but I'm pretty sure I've finally  found my surgeon. I have't set my date yet.  I think it will be sometime in March depending on my talk with him on Monday.

Here is the link to his profile here on OH

http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesitybariatric+surgeon+profile+Horacio+Guajardo+tqq.html

Youll have to copy/pate it to your browzer.  The link to his website (can't remember it right off hand) is on that page too and the 800-545-8757  toll free number will get you to his pateint relations ofice in the US.  She was very easy to talk with. Prices are reasonable too! She said he would help me decide if the sleeve or rn is best for me.  I feel comfortable about all of this now!

Drop anotei if you have any questons.  Maybe we'll end up there for surgery at the same time!

If you call his office, let me know what you think.  I'm still open for all opinions. 

Sorry for the typos. . .my contacts are dry and stuck to my eyes. . .LOL  Time for bed.

Take care,

Dusty
(Laredo, TX)

kathemil
on 2/8/09 10:15 pm - MD
I had VSG surgery on Jan 30th by Dr. Zapata from www.ready4achange.com.   He is a warm, competent doctor.  I met him the day before surgery and he answered all my questions in a very professional manner.  The hospital was very nice...there were suites in the hospital which I have never seen before in a American hospital.   I am in the Baltimore area, flew to Monterrey, Mexico by way of Houston.   Had no problems.  Was scared to death and chewed off all my fingernails.   Now I'm 10 days post-op and Im doing fabulous!   I've dropped about 14 pounds so far and am looking forward to my new ME.   Good luck!
(deactivated member)
on 2/8/09 11:30 pm - TN
Thanks for all the help and support guys. It sounds like there are a lot of great experiences on this board. I researched Dr. Zapata and am currently researching Dr. U because I have decided I want the DS.
Foxtail
on 2/27/09 5:46 am
Hi, if it helps I had surgery with Dr. Aceves Jan/25/08 and my weight was 280 and after a whole year my weight is now 180, I feel so good.... I had the VSG, It was such a great experience the hospital is really nice and the staff is even better, they speak English and they were so helpful in everything it was so easy no problems what so ever, and the results are wonderful, and I am still loosing weight.

The only thing i could advice you to do is research really well, so I do wish you luck, and if you need anything just write back , I would be gladly to help.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views