Surgery with Dr. Alvarez

sycored
on 1/29/09 11:49 pm - MD

I am getting VSG done Feb. 27th with Dr. Alvarez.  I have a few questions I was hoping some of you could answer.

I am bringing my friend with me.  Is there a cafeteria or place she can eat while we are at the clinic?  Do we need to convert our money?

I just received all my surgery info and was told I have to do my pre-op diet for three weeks.  I start on the 6th.  Any helpful advice will be appreciated.  Especially protien powder and shake recommendations.  I am getting soooo nervous.

MJ
on 1/30/09 4:21 am - Salt Lake City, UT
Revision on 02/28/09 with
Hi.  I'll be having mine done with Dr. Alvarez the day after yours!  I've already been down there.  My son and I both went in September for surgery.  He had his and is doing great, but I had too much scar tissue from my lap band and had to wait a few months before going back to try again.  I think you'll really like Dr. Alvarez - he's wonderful. 

Susan, Dr. A's coordinator, might be a good one to ask about whether there's a cafeteria or not and about converting money.  I don't remember seeing a cafeteria or hearing about one, but I believe there's at least a restaurant nearby and Piedras Negras is a very safe town.  I'm bringing along a friend this time, too, but I think I'm going to encourage her to bring along a cooler just in case she doesn't feel like going out on her own.

At any rate, I just wanted to say hi and wish you the best with your pre-op diet - you'll do fine.  The first couple of days are the hardest.  The VSG board would be a good place to ask about shakes.  I'm pretty easy that way (and cheap) and do fine with Body Fortress vanilla and chocolate from Wal-Mart, but I know others just can't stand it.   I plan on using our leftover protein bullets after surgery, but I'm not crazy about them otherwise. 

Don't be nervous - easy for me to say, huh?  I was nervous, too, but Dr. A and his staff are just great. 

MJ

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
  T.S. Eliot

sycored
on 2/1/09 3:12 am - MD
MJ

I am glad to hear that your son is doing great.  Congrats on finally being able to get surgery.  I am glad to hear that the town is safe.  I was concerned about my friend going out.  Maybe your friend and my friend can go out together so they won't have to be alone.

I will contact Susan.  I have some questions about our pre-op diet.  I see alot of people on the site are eating yogurt and pudding.  I didn't think we were allowed that, so I am going to double check. 

Hopefully our paths will cross when we are there.

coleen

MJ
on 2/1/09 10:44 am - Salt Lake City, UT
Revision on 02/28/09 with
I bet my friend would love to keep your friend company when going outside the hospital.  I'm sure our paths will cross - it's a pretty small place :)  We'll be arriving on the morning of the 28th.

Mary

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
  T.S. Eliot

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views