what to take to mexico

queenfairy
on 1/27/09 10:28 am - midland, TX
RNY on 02/17/09 with
ok so so far i hear chapstick...now can we take shampoo and lotion and stuff? do we have to wear the hospital gown or can we bring something else? do we keep our panties on? do they have toiletries in the hospital ...any help is appreciated thanks yall am sosososososo happy
kathemil
on 1/27/09 10:10 pm - MD
I'm taking a robe, 2 nightgowns (in case I might throw up on one), some undies and slippers.  What I wear down there is what I'm wearing home.  I'm leaving tomorrow morning...gonna wear like a jogging suit and sneakers, surgery is on Friday, I recuperate in the hotel sat and Sun and come home Monday.   Don't need much for that.  You'll probably wear the hospital gown for 1 1/2 days while you are in the hospital.  I'm taking the usual toiletries but I'm sure the hotel will have them.  Good luck!
isabel41206
on 1/28/09 12:24 am - MURFREESBORO, TN
I JUST WORE THE HOSPITAL GOWN AND MY ROBE AND SLIPPERS. SOCKS ARE A MUST IF YOUR FEET GET COLD. CHAPSTICK AND LOTION. CELL PHONE. MAGAZINE/BOOK. I SLEPT ALOT SO NOT MUCH READING.
liveinphx
on 1/28/09 5:02 am - Phoenix, AZ
In the hospital I wore a overly large T shirt that served as a nighty.  My surgery was in Tijuana and I had good reception of the cell phone most of time but not always.
I wore home what I wore down there, some shorts and a T shirt (it was warm in June).
Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
nillie
on 1/28/09 6:37 am
Lap Band on 01/19/09 with
I took to much to Mexico.  They have what you would expect to find in any hospital.  I brought in my own toothbrush and paste.  I used their gown because I was only staying over nite.  I brought to the hospital a long sun dress to put on for discharge.  If you plan on doing any shopping, keeping your suitcase light is a plus so you can fill it  up to go home.  tehee. 
I had my surgery just last week and what I used at the hotel is typical daily stuff,
shampoo, conditioner, blow dryer, hair spray, tooth brush, paste, deorant, make up, etc
several pairs of shorts, tank tops, swim suit, sun dress, sandals, nities.
I was there for 5 days and had a wonderful time.
Oh to answer your question about your panties, as a nurse, and now as a patient, you take your panties off at the time of surgery, but before and after you can wear them, so goes for your bra.
Also you will be asked to take off all your jewerly. which is the case with any surgery.  I swelled up and was unable to put my rings back on for four days, which is not uncommon
Hope this helps, so it was so long.
queenfairy
on 1/28/09 9:07 am - midland, TX
RNY on 02/17/09 with
thank you soooo much it really helps ..now for the shampoo, conditioner and makeup did you have any trouble at the airport? i guess my question is is there certain things i can take  how big a luggage can i take carry on ?   greatly appreciated thnaks T
nillie
on 1/29/09 1:08 am
Lap Band on 01/19/09 with
I don't want to get on my soap box about carry ons, but you asked, tehee.
I was taught that a carry on should hold what you would need if you lost your luggage for a day. ie a change of undies, meds, toothbrush.  I find it appalling what people carry on the plane and then hassled everyone trying to force it in the overhead.  Check with your airline they give measurement so you can measure your bag that you are wanting to carry.  I don't believe you can have in aerosole on your carry on.  I checked mine so it wasn't an issue. 
I had no issue with any of my luggage checked or carry on.  I keep my meds with me, so before I went I had my Pharmacist print me a couple of lables for small bottles  and then just took 5 of each meds.  I also brought a small bottle of liquid Viocodan that I received from my primary Dr. (by the way I never needed it).
Oh, and I would say the biggest suggestion that I read and followed was use luggage with wheels, you really don't want to be lifting and carrying much weight after surgery!
I am really anxious for you, I hope and pray that you have as easy as a time as I did.
Ashley1214
on 1/29/09 3:37 am - delray beach, FL
RNY on 05/18/09 with
Queenfairy-

Thanks so much for posting this question. Although I am not going until May  its still nice to know and plan for. Goodluck  with everything! look  forward to hear your experiance!!!!

Ashley

Chris D
on 2/3/09 7:53 am - Prince Rupert, Canada
RNY on 10/01/08 with
If you read my blog, it will tell you a few things about my trip to Mexico.  Everything was wonderful....  but don't forget BANDAIDS!

lisaweisenbach
on 2/4/09 2:36 am - Jonesboro, AR
VSG on 03/17/08 with
I took all of my toiletries that I normally use at home. I also took comfy clothing..loose-fitting. Make sure u take something reallly warm.. I got so cold and that was in March. You can wear ur own gown in the hosp or thier gowns...its much like the States..and yes, u can wear ur panties.. they dont put catheters in like they do in the States.  Im not sure what toiletries they have in the hosp or the hotel since I had my own and didnt need anything like that there.
I also took  a heating pad and I was so glad that I did. It helped with the gas pain.. I also took my own meds since I wasnt sure how I would react to thier meds (pain meds, etc).
Also, take things to do..... books, music, laptop....that sort of thing...when u are resting, its easier to keep busy so u wont be bored. U can watch TV, but theres not much on thats not in Spanish.
Take plenty of $1 bills....for tips, meals, taxi's, etc. I think I took $150 and spent it all.. but my hubby was with me so he had his meals...my meals didnt amount to much of course.
Hmmm, thats all I can think of...the most important stuff anyway.
Good luck

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 624 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views