question about Mexican surgeries

kathemil
on 1/27/09 1:38 am - MD
I am wondering for all of you who have had surgery in Mexico and then went back to the States.  What did you all do for follow up?   Where do you go if you think you are having a problem?  To the hospital? 
wildangl
on 1/27/09 6:42 am
 I spoke with my PCP about it before I had the surgery. I mentioned I was considering a lapband, because I had tried every diet known to man, etc. She's actually the one who suggested I look into having the VSG instead. . . . when, on my next visit,  I told her I was going to have it done in Mexico, first of all because it was private pay, and secondly because the surgeon I'd chosen had an excellent reputation,etc. she asked how would I do follow up? I said 'well, I'd need someone here, would you be interested?" and she said, sure, she'd do it, if Dr. Aceves would tell her exactly what kind of follow-up I'd need.

So, to make a long story short, I very respectfully asked my primary physician here for her opinions, and asked if she would do my follow-up, and she is.

Laurie
VSG 12/19/08

lanaph
on 1/27/09 8:12 am - San Ysidro, CA
Mini Gastric Bypass on 07/05/09

I did my surgery March, 2007.  My Doctor is Dr. Verboonen.  My primary care doctor worked with me when I got home.  I come back to Mexico for my fills as the doctors in Louisiana didn't use the floroscope and they have damaged so many bands.  People would end up having to come back to get it fixed. 

Lisey
on 1/27/09 9:35 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
I don't have a surgery date yet, sometime in March, but I'm getting the duodenal switch in Mexico.  I talked to my PCP about it & he said that he would be happy to help, but that he needs to learn about my nutritional needs since he had never even heard of it.  I'm guessing that most drs have heard of the VSG, though, so I think that's just my problem. 

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

secail
on 1/28/09 5:27 am - Riverdale, GA
Lap Band on 01/16/09 with
I had the lapband placed on the 16th of this month by Dr. Alvarez and I plan to follow up with him for my first two fills to make sure that I have healed properly .  After seeing the doctor the first two times, I have decided to go to the US Fill Center.
lisaweisenbach
on 2/4/09 2:25 am - Jonesboro, AR
VSG on 03/17/08 with
I had my VSG in Puerto Vallarta. I was there a total of 6 days. I had spoken to my PCP before I left and explained what I was doing...he agreed to continue my care afterward. I never needed any followup tho. I took my own stitches out (im a nurse). I go in for my regular exams for blood work, etc. I knew that if I had had an emergency when I got back home, I could go to the ER, but I never had any problems that needed extra care like that.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1838 views