X-POST REGARDING BAD MEDICINE WARNING - LONG

L C.
on 1/16/09 10:24 pm - OH
XPOST Regarding BAD BAD BAD MEDICINE!!!!  BE WARNED!

I post from time to time but mostly lurk.  However, I came across a situation a while ago regarding a plastic surgeon from Mexico who has hurt one of us.  He and his group are big advertisers on the OH site and I know that many have considered using him when seeking PS. 
The doctor is Dr. Quiroz from COSMED.  Anyone who has gone to the plastics or international boards has seen his advertising.  Well, beware. 

When I was doing my homework for plastics, I knew I could not afford the US.  I looked to Mexico as it looked like an affordable, safe alternative.  Certainly potentially more dangerous than the US, but I thought with the right amount of research I could find a good doctor with good references that might be able to perform the surgery at a price I could afford.  As I was researching, I ran into a woman by the name of Gracies.  She posted her "after" pics and they are bad.  I started to write back and forth to her and I was horrified to learn about what has happened to her.  She went to this guy, was maimed, asked for follow up and was ignored.  More alarmingly, she has open wounds several months post surgery and this guy will not respond to her.  I asked her permission to tell her story to us and she has said yes.  She is still shell shocked from all of this and not up to standing up for herself.  So, here I am and I am going to tell her story.  Please check out her pictures.  I am sure you will feel as I do that this poor woman has been done an injustice.  Username:  GRACIES

I want everyone to know that I have no ill will towards Dr. Q or anyone else on this board, provided they do not maim,  injure, cheat or kill one of us.  As much as we are strangers to each other, we are part of a large community of people who have gone through much of the same happiness, disappointments, surgeries, pain, situations as each other and I am particularly aware that this site has served as a great support through my prep, WLS, questions, etc. and feel a great loyalty to the members who take their time to help each other.  We sometimes are not as nice as we could be but I still feel like we are a pseudo family.  We are like fighting brothers and sisters, we can say a lot of not so nice things to each other on occasion but damned be the "outsider" who tries to hurt us. 

This man has hurt one of us.  Plain and simple and he has done nothing to rectify the situation.  He obviously feels that he had performed his surgery well and that Gracies should be ignored. 
I, for one, don't think so.  And, she is not the only one who has suffered at his hands.  Robin has scars that are not right, and I am willing to bet that there are many more who have had like experiences but are shell shocked and have disappeared off this site. 

We, as a group, must force any doctor who performs badly to either return fees or rectify the situation by follow up surgery.   I have had plastics before and I know that sometimes the first round is not always perfect but a good surgeon will offer to correct at no added cost when a second surgery is needed.  When I was thin the first time (of many argghh)  I had a TT and the incision line was thickening due to keloiding.  He could not have predicted that but happily went back in and repaired the offending areas FREE OF CHARGE.  If I had questions, he got right back to me and although I had no areas that didn't heal like Gracies, had that happened I know that he would have been right on that.  Did he do that because of potential lawsuit?  No, he did that because he wanted me to be happy, wanted his work to be reflective of his talents and was living up to his pledge, "first, do no harm" .    Where is Dr. Q in this?   He has a patient with very poor results AND areas that still have not healed and has he fixed this?  No, he ignored Gracies right after he cashed her check.  Nice guy. 

We, as a group, should be outraged on her behalf and OH as a site that professes to offer support and information should be right on this to ensure that others do not use this guy until all parties are satisfied.  Just so that you know, I have sent letters to OH asking for their review without reply.  They are promoting him as I write this with his web site link flashing right beside this entry.  We cannot let this guy hurt one of us because she is not the last.  There will be more.  He didn't just say OK let's screw with Gracies.  He either does not have the skills and/or doesn't give a **** how he rapes one of us.  He must feel that his pipeline of patients is long enough to ignore those who are not satisfied with his substandard performance.  Smug.  Oh yeah.  Gracies notified this guy on several occasions and still no response.  He is hiding behind the border and OH is still accepting his advertising revenues. 

Is this my business?  Nope.  He didn't hurt me.  He didn't take my money.  BUT HE COULD HAVE.  And he could have hurt you or someone that you like on this site.  It is OUR responsibility to stop these guys whenever we can.  He has hurt one of us and by the grace (Gracies) of God it wasn't us, this time.   I am not shutting up until I get a response from OH either.  Shame on you for doing the same thing that Dr. Q. has done.  You have ignored this situation and have hoped that it will blow away.  No chance.  I am just pissed enough to demand attention on this one.  And I don't care if this is an isolated situation.  Even more reason to demand some form of correction.  Inconsistency does not make for a good physician, here or Mexico. 

We go to Mexico because we cannot afford the US.  We pay these guys with our hard earned money and we hope for good outcomes.  I am guessing that most of us would not go to Mexico if we could afford the US.  So we try to do our homework, and look to others who have gone before us to help determine who can help us.  And, whether OH likes it or not, their implied endorsement of Dr. Q's services influences us to utilize his services.  And look what has happened with Gracies and Robin and probably a lot more who go unnamed.  We cannot let others blindly assume that this guy is good.  He is not and if OH will not investigate this situation then my faith in them is very shaken, as well. 

Anyone else out here sufficiently pissed enough on Gracies behalf to ask OH for an explanation?  I hope so.  It could have been any one of us. 

Thanks. 

Lisa

238/230/155/141/137
Pre-op/Day of Surgery/Dr's Goal/Current/My Goal
I did it!  I made my Dr's Goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisey
on 1/17/09 1:06 pm - Milwaukee suburb, WI
I feel really badly for her.  In case you haven't done so yet, I suggest that you copy this long post for your own records so that you can repost it.  I have read others discussing how they made a similar post (except I think it was a WLS event) & the dr requested that the post be removed - & OH did so.  Bottom line is OH gets paid by the drs to advertise, which is how we all can come together.  So - copy your work & don't be surprised if it gets deleted.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

Gracies
on 1/20/09 4:42 am
Lisa,

I wanted to update you and anyone else who is aware of my situation and let you know that I have been contacted by a representative of Dr. Quiroz's and offered revision surgery.  The claim is that they were unaware of my continuing medical issues and that the $5000 quote I was sent for revision surgery was a mistake.  While I am happy to know that there is at least some concern for my situation now I am not sure I can have surgery with Dr. Quiroz again.  After the emotional year I have had trying to deal with all of this I am just not sure I can place myself in his hands again.  But I did want everyone to know that he is offering some explanation and is making at least some attempt to try to rectify the situation. 

I am hoping that he can understand why this offer may not be something I can accept and that there still may be other options for both of us but who knows.  I am just going to sit with this for a bit and try to process it and seek some counsel from family and friends.  

Thanks to all who have supported and encouraged me.

********************* Don't go to Tijuana whatever you do*******************

sonjahoff
on 1/20/09 2:23 pm - Lancaster, CA
Sorry to hear about all the miscommunication with Cosmed, it happens, it should not happen but it does. I had all my plastic surgery done through Cosmed/Dr. Quiroz, well one of them I had in the States which was a disaster and went to Dr. Quiroz to have it fixed, neither here nor there as amazing as I look I am still a weight loss patient of 140 pounds and does not matter how many surgeries I have I will never look like a super model. I can see your pictures and I know Dr. Quiroz will do what he can to continue with your plastic surgery.    In my bariatric group I always prepare weight loss patients and remind them that our expectation might be too high because we have an awful lot of skin that needs to be removed.  Sometimes it takes 2 or more surgeries in the same area, keeping in mind every ones body is different and have different needs.    Consider continuing with Dr. Quiroz since he is now aware of your situation. When you call Cosmed always leave a message to talk to Joyce or Dr. Quiroz himself.     Sonja
Gracies
on 3/14/09 6:33 am

Just an update:  As it turns out this wasn't about miscommunications at all.  After all is said and done Dr. Quiroz thinks I look just fine and should be happy with my results.   He said that to me loud and clear.  No miscommunication going on at all.   So, no.  Dr. Quiroz will NOT do what he can for me.  He is offering me nothing other than taking a few stitches out that were left in.   He is fully aware of my situation and has turned his back on me once and for all. 

I understand that MY experience may sound a bit different from those of you who worship this man.  But my story is true.  My pictures don't lie.  I expected to get the Dr. Quiroz so many of you seem to get.  Instead I got his psycho alter-ego it would appear.  I don't understand it and I'm sure I never will.  I will, keep telling my story though.  If he can do this to me what makes anyone think he can't do it to them?  I'm not the first, and I won't be the last but I will do what I can to at least let people make fully informed decisions. 

********************* Don't go to Tijuana whatever you do*******************

(deactivated member)
on 3/22/09 5:58 am - AZ
On March 14, 2009 at 1:33 PM Pacific Time, Gracies wrote:

Just an update:  As it turns out this wasn't about miscommunications at all.  After all is said and done Dr. Quiroz thinks I look just fine and should be happy with my results.   He said that to me loud and clear.  No miscommunication going on at all.   So, no.  Dr. Quiroz will NOT do what he can for me.  He is offering me nothing other than taking a few stitches out that were left in.   He is fully aware of my situation and has turned his back on me once and for all. 

I understand that MY experience may sound a bit different from those of you who worship this man.  But my story is true.  My pictures don't lie.  I expected to get the Dr. Quiroz so many of you seem to get.  Instead I got his psycho alter-ego it would appear.  I don't understand it and I'm sure I never will.  I will, keep telling my story though.  If he can do this to me what makes anyone think he can't do it to them?  I'm not the first, and I won't be the last but I will do what I can to at least let people make fully informed decisions. 

I am so very sorry for you.  I just saw your photos.  We go to any plastic surgeon hoping for a  bit brighter outlook on our bodies and to suffer as you have is heart breaking.

After the job he's done I wouldn't have wanted him to fix it anyway so maybe it's a good thing that he's not taking responsibility, at least you won't be tempted to go back.

I honestly don't know anything about the guy.  I was only wanting a surgeon in Mexicali as it's driving distance from AZ, my bariatric surgeon said he'd be in OR during surgery if I wanted him (and I do want him there), and I really like the doctor I'll be using.  He's never in a rush, he answers all my questions, he doesn't just tell me he can do something, he explains how he does it.  He's really into patient dignity, he isn't arrogant, he's just very cool.  I am totally at ease with his doing my surgery.

While I am very comfortable with the plastics guy I am going to... can you offer suggestions to avoid these kinds of problems for others searching?  If you look back (hind sight being 20/20) do you feel like you covered all your bases?  Is there a part of your research that you wish you would have focused more time and effort?   Do you think you could have seen this coming now that it is after the fact?  I guess what I am getting at is that we learn a lot about surgeons even after our surgeries.  Are you one of many or one of a few that have had problems with your surgeon?

I'm all about researching your surgeon and I'm good at researching bariatric surgeons but somewhat weak in researching plastic surgeons regardless of country.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Mentor
on 8/29/11 3:30 pm - CA
I had 2 surgeries performed by Dr. Quiroz AT CosMed Clinic in Tijuana, Mexico.  The first surgery was a lower body lift, tummy tuck, and breast lift in 2009.  I returned in 2011 for an upper body lift and inner thigh lift.  Dr. Quiroz and his staff were excellent and realistic about what could be done.  I was very pleased with both surgeries and the follow-up Dr. Quiroz conducted following the surgeries.  I plan to have arm lifts and breast augmentation to finish off my "body work:.  The cost is very reasonable.  My physicians who saw the work commented about a "job well done" by Dr. Quiroz. 

It is important to be very realistic about what can be done "cosmetically" to the human  body after carrying an excessive amount of weight for a long period of time.  There are many factors that come into play with cosmetic surgery on the body; particularly skin elasticity ( genetics being a key factor), general health, and exercise/toning.

I highly recommend Dr. Quiroz and would be happy to share my experiences in greater detail with whoever is interested.  

Mentor
on 3/23/13 11:26 am - CA

Bump

Anne-Marie Z.
on 1/24/09 8:56 am - Fishers, IN
RNY on 02/13/09 with
I'm having RNY surgery with Dr. Joya in February and I have found OH as an invaluable tool to help me with my decision to go out of the US.  I'm thankful to those who have posted the successes and especially appreciate those brave enough to share the complications. 

Gracie, I'm so sorry you have been ignored for so long.  I saw your reply that the doctor contacted you and offered the corrective surgery and understand your hesitation.  What concerns me is that your profile is void of any posts and/or pictures.  It leads me to think that you have been forced to be quiet and not show any evidence.  I hope this is not the case as I have used the credibility of this site as a critical peice of my decision making. 

OH  - I hope that you are protecting the members as much as, if not more than your paying advertisers.  That is the power of your site and what makes me come here.

I wish you well Gracie.
Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 3/20/09 11:45 am, edited 3/20/09 11:46 am - Newport Beach, CA
Dear Gracie:

Your pictures and story was sent to me by a patient today.  I am sorry to hear what happened but about 20% of my practice is now becoming revision Plastic Surgery.  Fortunately, most of your surgeries are fixable.  If interested, plz view my post-bariatric gallery on

http://www.plasticsurgerybodycontouring.com/index.php/gallery/post-bariatric/

and contact my office. 

Siamak Agha MD PhD
Board Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society of Plastic Surgery
Specializing in Post-Bariatric Plastic Surgery
www.plasticsurgerycal.com

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO