oversees WLS questions

Lisey
on 1/16/09 1:23 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
So, I looked at Mexico, Belgium, India, & plan on looking into Brazil & Spain.  My family is VERY concerned with getting this done out of the states.  I told my sister that if my ins company won't cover it, I am 70% sure that I will get it done oversees (that 70% has risen since I started looking into it).  My best friend is a registered nurse with a BSN - I asked for her opinion/knowledge about medical tourism & she wasn't alarmed at all, just cautioned to make sure that the hospitals & drs were had US accreditations.  My family thinks it's a HORRIBLE idea & are freaked out that something's going to wrong & I'll be stuck with an unknown hospital bill that I can't afford (true), I won't have anybody there to advocate for me unless they come, which they don't want to, & that safety from getting robbed or bombed is a concern.

I have heard of an increase in violence against tourists in Mexico &, of course, there are the Mumbai bombings in India.  My nurse friend thought that India was a safer medical choice than Mexico, including for petitioning authorities if something goes wrong due to medical incompetence (not normal complications).

My mother, while generally frightened by the surgery, told me that she would stay with me after the surgery in ND & may consider travelling to Mexico or Belgium, but not India.  I again reminded her that it was a possibility & that according to my nurse friend, is arguably a better choice than Mexico (no offense meant to anyone who got it there, I still might!).  She was crying so hard that she was hiccuping sobbing.  Poor thing.  Almost made me cry while I was trying to soothe her.

Is India sooo bad???  I am concerned about the Mumbai bombings & would likely get it done in New Delhi, which isn't as close to the Pakistan border, but undeniably still a risk.  Frickin' terrorist ********s.

Anybody in Mexico who got it done can give me insider info on what they may have researched if there were complications?  Are there any options for medical incompetence?

My ins company told me that any complications arising from an uncovered service would also not be covered.  I know that some medical tourism company's offer insurance in the event something goes wrong in surgery.  Anybody have insight on purchasing this type of insurance?  Is this a special type of insurance that can be purchased if you're having it stateside when you're a self-pay?

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

4myGiRL
on 1/16/09 3:14 am - Oshawa, Canada
Hi! 
Not too sure where you're located, but have you looked into the facilities in Michigan or another state?  I had my surgery done in Ypsilanti, MI in August 2008 and have had no issues!  I feel as though I've been given a new life since having the surgery and can't imagine life without it!  I've included the link to the Barix Clinics to help you out, if you wish!  I know I'd be terrified to go completely out of country and especially to another continent to have the surgery performed!  Best of luck in what ever your decision is... only YOU can make the right decision... after all, it's YOUR LIFE!!!
Cheers,
Michelle 
P.S. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me:)
https://www.barixclinicsonline.com/index.cgi?site_id=0000617 056&media_id=0000481983&omss=&osss=&otrm=2840589&xssale=&xsm emid=&ctid=ld&srctype=www&srcdesc=GGA00214&id=23272107

One Day at a Time & One Foot Infront of the Other... Michelle

liveinphx
on 1/16/09 9:50 am - Phoenix, AZ
I had the VSG procedure done in Tijuana Mexico a little over 6 mos ago and I have not regretted my decision at all.
Yes MX (at least most border towns) have had major issues with killings mostly related to the drug trade. I am not saying it is NOT dangerous but let's try to keep things in perspective. I was picked up at the airport in San Diego in a non-descript van that looked no different than hundreds of vans on the road. I was driven directly to the hospital where I was met by the surgeon.  I arrived in Mexico on the same day I had my surgery (Friday). On Sunday I was discharged from the hospital and walked with my surgeon to the hotel right across the street from the hospital.  Maybe 8 minute walk MAX, hell I am short and I walk slow.
The hospital was lovely and I did not feel unsafe or in any danger while in the hotel. I was driven directly from the hotel back to the airport. The surgeon waited with me till he saw I was safely in the Van.
I agree that spending time walking around Tijuana, going shopping or getting drunk in the bars raises your risk level but just driving to and from the hospital is not that great of a risk all things considered.
I cannot speak to any of the other countries you mentioned but if you want to know more about my experience in MX please just PM me.
Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
kelani01
on 1/16/09 9:53 am - Mission, TX
I was born in the US but was raised in Mexico so until i had insurance i did all my medical stuff in mexico.  To be honest with you, its not as bad as the mayority of americans think it is.  The surgeons where i had my lap band surgery in mexico are very knowledgeable and everyone in their staff speaks english (except the hospital staff).  They are all very kind.  I happen to live just across the border from mexico so to me the overseas travel was no big deal, just a 30 minute drive away and i was in and out the same day with no problems at all.  in fact, they have treated me better then the us doctor who delivered my baby boy 20 months ago.  you have to choose someone who is experienced and who has done the surgery a lot of times.  most doctors in mexico have patient coordinators in the us who will help you all the way through, including picking you up at the airport in the US and driving you across the border.   my doctors have also assisted med school in the us by the way.  they are highly professional people.  and i only paid 7 thousand for my surgery whi*****ludes unlimited doctors visits and visits with the nutritionist, who you can also reach by toll free number from the US which i think is pretty neat.  the only thing not included are fills, which are only 150 dollars a pop.  i was pretty happy with my whole experience.  we even got a discount because my sister in law and my husband also got lap bands so we had like a group discount type thing, ha ha ha
i defenitely would recommend you go to mexico instead of a country futher away, since it would be easier to get on a plane or bus to the border than an overseas travel all the way to india.
plus, there is no war in mexico - and honestly the "drugdealers' who are the ones making the bombings and stuff are only after the politicians and other drug cartels, not the general population.  i know 'cuz i lived in mexico for 30 years with absolutely no problems.
i honestly and sincerely would recommend you have it in mexico.  these doctors all have been in seminars and courses in the US and they all (or most of them) use FDA approved bands. 
jus****ch out for the really really dirt cheap ones (4000 dollars or less) those are using a different type of band.  and I recommend reynosa, rather then mexico city, tijuana, or monterrey.

good luck to you.
Lisey
on 1/16/09 12:09 pm - Milwaukee suburb, WI
Mucho gusto por su ayuda!  Yo hablo algun espanol de escuela, pero no tengo muchos opportunidades le practica en North Dakota.  No esta bien, pero es suficiente para mas todas las situaciones.  Let me switch back to English b/c it takes less brain power & I have the bonus of making more sense!

When I first thought of oversees for surgery, it was Mexico, but my nurse friend really warned me against it.  She said that they don't have a good system of official boards that monitor accreditations and "malpractice" complaints - a system to track the # per doctor like a state medical board would here or a board in which to file complaints.  She said that they either don't exist in some cities/provinces or that the ones that are established in other cities are corrupt & ineffective.  Can you please give me first hand knowledge on this?  It seems that Mexico would be the cheapest self-pay option.  I want the DS - since it's so invasive & complex, I especially think a good tracking system of complaints is important.

Que tenga buen noche!

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

kelani01
on 1/16/09 11:36 pm - Mission, TX

Ah, very good Spanish!  That would be enough to get you around! 
In that sense your friend may be right, its not like in the US where you can obtain all that information and yes, there is a lot of corruption where they might "oversee" something wrong and keep quiet about it.  But what you can do is talk to other people who may already have had the surgery with the doctor you are considering.   If they have a patient coordinator, this person usually is also a patient who had a good experience with the doctor or doctors.
I'm not sure what the DS is, I had the lap band and so did my husband and sister-in-law.  My coordinator had the sleeve gastrosomethingectomy ha ha ha but i haven't talked to anyone with gastric bypass or anything like that, but I know they do it too.  All you have to do is do the research with other patients.  I'm sure if you call them they would be happy to give you phone number of patients you could call.  And the best thing would be to make an initial trip for consultation and stay around and talk to everyone and anyone you find in the waiting room who's already had the surgery. 
Do they have this kind of tracking system in India?
the other thing I would consider is that if you do have a problem you can more easily come back to Mexico than to India for revisions or problems.
Also, most doctors in Mexico who do bariatrics know that you have the power to post on the internet and talk to other candidates and things like that and their business depends a lot on "word of mouth" so I would not be so concerned, they will try to do the best job possible.

I wouldn't be so concerned, but again, if you don't feel comfortable than do it somewhere where you do because i think that is very important.

good luck

archman
on 1/16/09 9:10 pm
My advice based on personal experience.
Do the research.  Pick a procedure and a surgeon with whom you are comfortable.
Make the arrangements and have the surgery.
Believe me, you can "what if" yourself forever.  Bottom line, the sooner you have surgery, the sooner you can lose weight and get on with your life.

Best of luck,
Archman
mrsbu
on 1/17/09 1:35 pm - Charlotte, NC
RNY on 02/21/08 with
   I had my surgery in Mexico last year in Puerta Vallarta with Dr. Joya, I am now going back next month with a friend of mine who is a MEDICAL DOCTOR in the united states. My husband is Indian and travels back and forth to India on a semi monthly basis he would not allow me to have surgery there. For many reasons, one do your ealize that the flight can be as long as 20 hours in coach and that a first or business class seat can cost as much as 13,000 or more.
    The filthy conditions in India are fine for people who ae used to it, however with an american system believe me you are not used to it. With surgery in Mexico you can get optional Insurance to cover complications I am not sure if that exsists in India. I had no worries with Dr Joya also PV is far from the boarder towns where all the violence is happening.
      In the end you will be having the surgery not your crying friend and you need to do what is best for you. I will be there again with my friend from the 8th to the 16 of february and I will be happy to stay at the beach resort and sit in all 6 of the jacuzzis I could not use after my surgery last year.
Sandra Mannaravalappil......The Best Darn Chubby Realtor in Charlotte LOL

Lisey
on 1/17/09 10:58 pm - Milwaukee suburb, WI
Hi Sandra,

Thank you for your post & insight.  I have decided to go with Dr. Ungson in Hermosillo, Mexico.  The medical tourism company said that the price is $2000 more if Dr. Ungson goes to Tijuana due to the hospital charging more.  I have found several people who have gone with Dr. Ungson with good results.

I was hoping that is is possible to get insurance to cover complications.  Does the medical tourism company offer this, or is there a different company I should contact?  I'll ask the medical tourism company & look on the internet, but I think it's good to get some insider info!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

maureenmosti
on 1/19/09 8:12 am - Mexico, Mexico
Look for Dr. Miguel Herrera at The American British Cowdray Medical Center.
They have lots of experience and are in the reriew process to be certified as a Center of Excellence in bariatric surgery.
That means you can expect the to have as much expirience as any mayor center in USA.

Have a nice day!
Maureen Mosti
7.5 years post op!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?