Anyone go to Mexico alone?

Nelly28
on 1/11/09 12:54 pm - Anchorage, AK
I posted this on the VSG board, but thought I could also get some insights here...
My family thinks I am crazy for considering going to Mexico on my owon, but I really don't fell confortalbe asking anyone to come with me for 4 or 5 days to sit around in a room (my family lives in another country). Has anyone gone to Mexico alone to have a VSG and thought they should've brought someone along for more than just company or did you bring someone and afterwards thought you could've done it alone? Am I crazy for not being at all afraid?

Nelly
Gracies
on 1/12/09 5:35 am
I did not have my WLS in Mexico but plastics and just wanted to say that I don't think you are crazy at all in going alone.  If you are comfortable with it then I think that's a perfectly fine decision.  Your doctor will take care of you physically so you only need family/friends with you for emotional support and to give you someone to talk to.  If you are fine being alone then just go for it!

Good luck to you whatever you decide to do.

********************* Don't go to Tijuana whatever you do*******************

nicmic9901
on 1/14/09 12:39 pm - Arlington, TX
High, I dont think you are crazy either. I went alone when I had my GS and it was just fine. My husband had to watch the kids for me they were in school. I dont have any other family per say so it was nota prob. If I did have more family I would not have asked anyone to go anyway because there is nothing they can do for you. Just sit and look at you. or go shopping.
Hope this helped. I hope you are getting a good deal. There are good dr and rices out there. I got mine for 8500.00.
Kristin B.
on 1/16/09 8:55 am - West Des Moines, IA
VSG on 05/17/08 with
I went by myself and was just fine- I preferred to be alone as I didn't have to worry about DH or the kids- I knew where they were and that they were fine so I could relax and just concentrate on myself.
Fortune sides with he who dares. ~ Virgil  
Unsolicited PMs about doctors, procedures, or facilities should be given as much consideration as spam offering foreign lottery winnings, penis- enlarging creams, and Nigerian fortunes.
Ginger M.
on 1/17/09 4:50 am, edited 1/17/09 4:50 am
Hi Nelly:

I am going through this exact same thing myself.

I have a friend who is willing to come with, but he will be bored to tears.  Still, though, I am scared to do this by myself.

There is a way you can find out who is having surgery and when here on this board.  I've read about people on OH who it turns out were scheduled around the same time who became internet/phone friends and then had each other for support while they were in Mexico together.  I think this is probably what I will do (once I have a surgery date).
Kelly2323
on 1/17/09 1:15 pm - Anchorage, AK
RNY on 11/21/08 with
Nelly, I went to Mexico alone from Anchorage too!! Although I had bypass surgery and not the VSG, I was just fine. I was really scared at first, but when I got there everything went great!!! Have you decided on a doctor yet? If you have questions please feel free to ask.
Beba1254
on 1/18/09 11:09 am
I don't think you are crazy, but very brave.  I did not go alone but there was one person there who was alone.  My husband was with me and I went to her room and talked to her for a while and I could tell that she was very lonely and was missing her husband.   She said that she'd lost her job and they just didn't want to spend the extra money.  There was another person there that had planned to go alone, but her SIL came with her.  We all did well so I don't think that you MUST have someone with you but it may be more comforting. 

I do know that I was very thankful my husband was with me as he was very attentive and I don't think he'd have let me leave without him.

Good luck! 

Bren
matthewshiner
on 1/19/09 2:33 am - Washington DC, DC
RNY on 07/09/08 with
 I went alone, and I think it was absolutely the right decision for me.

If my family or my partner would have been there, I would have been more worried about them - are they bored, are they stressed - just by my nature, all my concerns would have been with them.  I knew if anything went wrong, they could fly down and help me deal with it.

But for me there was a HUGE psychological issue I had to deal with . . . first off, I don't have a lot of ALONE time in my life . . . by going and facing this alone, I was taking the first step in my having to deal with this issue on a day by day basis.  Yes, it's lovely to have a support group and supportive family and friends, but each day this is a struggle and work I do by myself, and for myself.  

What I also love about going to Mexico, and having it done away from home, and my familiar surroundings was that I was stepping away form everything and making a bold statement that I was changing my life, and the change of setting helped my get in the frame of mind.  Think of it as a retreat from your life, for 2 weeks, where you can spend a lot of time thinking about how your life is now going to change.  I found the peaceful hours on the balcony overlooking the ocean as extremely precious times to reflect on my life up to this point (how health was was not a priority, and how I had put so may roadblocks in the way of my success.)  

And to be quit frank about it, you are going to want the time to just rest, relax and heal.    You are going to have months and months of people asking you questions and being concerned about you.

isabel41206
on 1/26/09 12:09 am - MURFREESBORO, TN
I went alone to Juarez. my hubby stayed home with our daughter. he did fly in for one night to ride/fly back with me. I had no problems. you are not crazy. I liked having the alone time too. you stay in hospital the entire time and it is very safe. you can visit with others on your floor  and my cell phone worked fine  for my family and friends to call me too.
lsditter
on 2/2/09 6:08 am - Fort Morgan, CO
VSG on 10/23/13

I am glad I read this post. My surgery is scheduled for Feb 9th in Mexico and I had already decided to go alone for many of the same reasons posted here.  It seems that everyone I tell completely freaks out that I am not only going out of the country alone, but having surgery as well!  It was starting to make me question my decision.  I have done a lot of research though and basically feel comfortable with going it alone!  I wish you good luck and all the best!

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1838 views