?'s about VSG in Mexico

Michelle B.
on 1/5/09 10:57 am - Morgan City, LA
Just wondering why so many self-pay pts go to Mexico, is it that much cheaper than US?  VSG is around $14,000 w/ my surgeon including anesthesia & hosp cost.  How much in Mexico?
Thanks,
Michelle
liveinphx
on 1/5/09 9:54 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I just answered a similar question on the VSG board but not sure if you were that poster. Feel free to check my other answer.
Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
kathemil
on 1/13/09 7:57 pm - MD
Hi Michelle.  I, too, felt the same way as you.  I was going to have my surgery done in Baltimore but my insurance denied the VSG but approved the Gastric Bypass.  I didn't want the bypass so I asked the surgeon's assistant how much it would be if I paid out of pocket.  She said 17K for a VSG and 25K for the Bypass.   Insurance do not cover VSG's now because they consider it to be a new and experimental procedure.  Why, I don't know!!  So I looked into a place called Ready4AChange in Monterrey, Mexico.  They charge 10K for the VSG.  Includes surgery, hospital and 3 nights in a hotel.  Surgeon and nurses come by several times a day to check up on you.  I received references and spoke to several ladies who confirmed that there was nothing to worry about, etc.  So now..I have a date of Jan 30th. I'm leaving Baltimore on the 29th.  Good luck to you!
nicmic9901
on 1/14/09 1:02 pm - Arlington, TX
Hi Michelle, my name is michele too. I spell it with 1 l though.  was going to have the surgery in tx but it was 16700.00 I got it got it for 8500.00 in TJ and am loving every day of it. I went with a group called ISA (they advertise on the bottom of OH as well). There Dr Lopez is a 20yr vet. Dr Almanza is good, but he does his surgery out of a clinic and Dr Lopez does his out of a full Hospital in Tijana. It has 2 ors, An icu unit and crash carts. Also,isa has an after care program that makes them different then the others. They just take your money do the surgery and that is it.rd. They called me when I gothome to see if I was ok. They called me each day I was in TJ. They calle me each week to make sure I dont have any problems or concerns. That was very nice to me. I felt like a person not a cash machine.
I hope this helps. If you want to talk more to me let me know
Michele
Ginger M.
on 1/17/09 4:45 am, edited 1/17/09 4:45 am
Hi Michelle:

Here in Vancouver, Washington, the cash price (I have insurance, but they will not pay for the VSG -- but will pay for the Lap-Band and the RNY) for the VSG is $26,405.  Dr. Alvarez's price in Mexico is $9500, whi*****ludes the hospital then hotel stay.

But, for me, it's more than just the cost.  Dr. Alvarez is KNOWN for the VSG.  It's his specialty.  Whereas the bariatric surgeon here has only done a few VSGs (although has a great reputation for the RNY).

I have spoken to 2 people whose insurance will/did pay for the VSG, but almost everybody else is being declined.....for now.  I truly do believe that, in 5 years, the VSG will be the gold standard in bariatric surgery.  It takes a while for insurance to catch on.
swedadamatalaskane
t

on 1/19/09 7:24 am
I had my VSG done by Dr. Rumbaut at the Obesity Center of Monterrey.  At the time of surgery, my kidneys were failing and I was unable to have a transplant unless I lost 40 or more pounds.  My insurance did not cover any bariatric surgery, and even if it did, I did not have the 6 months to wait. 

Care was excellent, cost was about half of what it would have been here  in Alaska, and despite it being a scary proposition, the hospital was cleaner than ones I've seen in the states. 

Within the last four months, my kidneys have improved to the point where, even though they are damaged (by the drug Metformin, by the way--it is renal toxic) I will not need a transplant, nor dialysis.  I'm off insulin, and went skiing for the first time over the holidays. 

This surgery gave me my life back.  I'd recommend it, and my providers, with no reservations.  Theresa, in Alaska
Cali S.
on 1/29/09 1:41 am - Orem, UT
VSG on 06/27/14
Dr joya in Puerto Vallatra is 10,500. THat includes the flight and everything.
Good luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1838 views