Dr. Mario Almanza, Emmanuel Hospital Tijuana

bekahr
on 3/18/10 9:40 am
Hi! I have my surgery scheduled for Monday April 12th.  I am going to get the sleeve done.  At first I wanted to do get the band, but after reading many posts and reading that many lap band users are getting the gastric sleeve.  It seems like a much better option, plus I think the thought of having a foreign object inside me forever bothers me.  I guess I would rather have my stomach cut off and made smaller.  I am nervous, but I have gone to Mexico to get my teeth done and I was nervous about that, but I found a wonderful dentist.  I hope my experience is the same with Dr. Almanaza.  Anyone else scheduled for 4/12/2010?
all4unick
on 3/22/10 9:17 am - Arnold, MO
I am scheduled for the band on 4/15. Is it best to get the sleeve if you have more weight to lose?
bigisbad
on 3/23/10 7:59 am - Canada, Canada
WOW... what a post.
Makes ME almost want to reconsider surgeons... NOT
I have done my research as well. I have picked Almanza not on price but on the amount of surgeries he has performed. Also on the amount of patients that are EXTREMELY happy with the procedure and care.
I commend you on digging so thoroughly... it must of taken a year or so. I could not find that many patients that were unhappy with infections, leaks and on feeding tubes.
It would be appreciative if you could post those patients names so that one could verify the facts.
You have posted your opinion and that is what the board is for... I guess. But it would be great of some of the 12 patients in question came forward. I know of a few... but 12?
In MY opinion  my choice is based on success and safety... so that is why I have chosen Almanza.
I see a few of the other DR.s that you have mentioned above are running specials as well right now... if you call.
Also, as far as infections from a stitched area... I'm not a pro but have been stitched up three times in my life and each time I have gotten infections. I blame myself... not the doctor.
all4unick
on 3/25/10 10:06 pm - Arnold, MO
I have changed my plans for a few resons. I still have young children, 10 & 12 & plan on going on vacation so I really don't want to chance any problems with a surgery although anything could happen but don't want to bring it on knowingly. I have read the good & the bad & am scared of the bad. I am not one to go to Dr.s unless I am really sick. The rep I have talked to had her surgery in the US & had insurance so that didn't help. The guy at the Medican Tourism place I spoke to is 6' & weighs 142 lbs. so that doesn't help either. LOL
The reason I choose him was the cost but everyone tells me the $$$$ isn't worth my life. I love Mexico so that definitely wasn't the problem but all the drug cartel senseless killings across the El Paso border & in northern Mexico isn't enticing either. I have been reding up on it for 3 weeks now so I really need a vacation & maybe when I get back I'll decide again.
chaligal
on 11/28/10 4:17 am - league city, TX
I am waiting for my passport, then am going to schedule my lap band procedure w/ Dr. Almanza, hopefully, in early February, 2011. I keep hearing about the Emmanuel Hospital. My procedure is going to be at the Jerusalem Hospital in Tijuana w/ Dr. Almanza...anyone been to this facility? I will be staying at a recovery house. I read on a blog somewhere to check for several things like..being a member of the IFSO, ASBS, INAMED. I have read mostly great and a few negative reviews on this blog. I believe that infections are just as common in the states as anywhere else. Money is a concern, my insurance wont pay for the procedure. The package, not including airfare is going to be $3999.00. Any advice/ feedback about this subject would be much appreciated. I am nervous, but also excited about the fact that in Mexico, I can actually afford to have it done. Also, a more recent concern, is the trouble going on in Mexico w/the drug cartels. Anyone been recently and have some feedback about that? Thanks for this blog..its very helpful!
Andie_2011
on 4/22/11 9:30 am
How is it that you decided to have the plication instead of the regular sleeve? What are the benefits?

Thanks for your help.

Andrea
chr8303
on 7/17/11 11:38 am - hamer, SC
how much did you lose with that i had sleeve in jan 10
careaid
on 11/29/10 5:36 pm - Prince Albert, Canada
Hi there,

I just came back from having the gastric sleeve plication with Dr. Almanza and can not say enough good things about him and his staff. The recovery house was great and they took great care of us. There will be a driver to take you shopping if you want to go. The Jerusluam Hospital is small but very clean. Make sure you bring gas strips. They melt on your tongue. You won't regret it. If you have any questions let me know. The plication does not involve cutting of your stomache, but rolling it up and stitching it. Your stomache is small, so you eat very little.

Rhonda
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1838 views