Dr. Mario Almanza, Emmanuel Hospital Tijuana

neededsurgery
on 1/14/10 11:26 pm - Canada
Is something wrong? E-mail is probably easier for me
easytexan
on 3/3/10 3:50 am - New Braunfels, TX

Well my experience back on November the 20th was very positive.  I have nothing but good praises to give to the staff and the doctors.  Recently I did try to contact Dr Betancourt and he has not returned my call.  But as far as my gastric bypass I was very happy with the procedure and the housing set up.

neededsurgery
on 3/3/10 8:12 am - Canada
I am glad you had an easier time than I did....My experience was not a good one at the Emmanual hospital as was others on this site....you do not owe me an explanation....I wish you well with the weight loss
zeflesera
on 1/22/10 5:29 am - Ridgecrest, CA
When did you have your surgery? I had mine (lap band) on Nov 9th, i was there with 2 very nice ladies from Canada. I was wondering if this is perhaps you? I also developed a severe infection after my surgery. I also had to be hospitalized and had 2 surgeries to have the infection and the port removed. When I contacted the Mexico office they offered to replace the port for free. I got an email about follow up care but have not heard from them since. Right now I am trying to decide what to do. I am scared to return to Mexico, But need the port replaced to lose weight.
I am also a nurse, and I wanted to say a few things about the care received in Mexico. First of all, there is a language barrier. Dr. Betancourt helps out as he is very fluent in English but the nurses do not speak much english.
Second, Pain management is not adequate for post op pain. The other lady I was with also complained of severe post op pain. Even right after the surgery I had quite significant pain and the nurse gave me IV pain meds that did not touch it. The pain medication given for after care are huge pills and did not help the pain much either. I could not stand up straight and had to sleep with my head elevated to get through the night at the recovery house (the recovery house is very nice) Another gentleman that had a lap band also had pain problems.  I expected to be in pain so I just suffered. However, when I went into the hospital within a week in the US I received pain meds for the first time and I realized I had been in moderate pain for the last week. It was such a relief. I would reccomend making sure that the staff know your concerns about pain meds. Also, I would bring some vicodin or other pain meds just in case. Also talk to them about strong antibiotics, what they give is cipro and may not be strong enough for some people.
LASTLY, I believe that the possible cause of my infection could be the shower that I took in Mexico. We all know that we are not supposed to drink the water over there, and I did take a shower. Overall, I am considering going back to TJ for my port replacement but if I do I will plan better.
It is the cheapest price out there.
Feel free to contact me.

To conclude, this is a
neededsurgery
on 3/3/10 8:16 am - Canada
I'm not sure if I responded to you earlier or not...I'm so sorry if I didn't....I am from canada and my friend was with me to help me.....I did become infected in 3 / 5 site of stitches...I too was in great pain after the surgery and my concern in contacting Betancourt ( I've received many e-mails stating he is not a Dr. ) was to inform him of the infection and I felt blown off.....he's got the money....but after me posting my concerns, I have received many e-mails of others who were also infected.....I guess my reason for going to the Emmanual hospital was because it was the cheapest.....you get waht you pay for.....I don't think I would hesitate in going back to Mexico...just do your homework...and find a credible place to go to
d7layman
on 3/7/10 4:17 pm
Sorry to hear about your infection and pain that you experienced in Mexico after weight loss surgery.  Dr. Bentacourt and Dr. Almanza do everything they can to prevent any complications after surgery such as infection however, personally being a rehab nurse, I can tell you that infection can adversly effect anyone at any time.  Ever heard of MRSA??  I'm personally taking care of a person who developed that infection by accidently scratching his arm with his own fingernail. 

To imply that these doctors did anything to purposly give you some kind of infection is really not fair."you get what you pay for"  The facility was exceptionally clean, sterile procedure was followed with all the equipment and not only did I receive IV antibiotics before during and after surgery, I was sent home with one months worth of Cipro but still developed cellutits two weeks post surgical in my  old IV site and needed another two weeks worth of the antibiotic Keflex for that infection to resolve.  Anytime anything foreign is introduced into the human body, there is the potential of developing an infection.

Also, just a note to anyone else getting ready to have surgery.  If you are experiencing pain SPEAK UP!!  It is impossible for health care professionals to keep you pain free without that feedback.  Most pain medications are PRN  which means AS NEEDED.  They aren't given unless you ask for them.  My pain was kept under control and it wasn't a problem for me.  Because if I was still in pain after about 20 minutes of receiving pain medication, I told them and they gave me something else.  I'm sorry that you didn't have the same or similar experience.

I think the bigger picture here is thank god we were able to afford the life saving surgery in Mexico!  The health care system in the US is inadequate and broken!  Not everyone has equal access to the necessary medical services.  I wouldn't hesitate to do it all over again!!
neededsurgery
on 3/7/10 11:58 pm - Canada
If you have been reading this site for some time, you will notice there were a large amount of people *****ceived infections from this hospital and some other serious complications as well...(bowel perferation)....I did speak up with my pain...Dr. Betancourt ( I was also informed by several people he is not a real Dr ).....he was to come and administer pain med. with a needle the night before he left for the weekend...and he forgot to do so.....my initial concern is that I never received any post op care by a Dr.......and my own Dr. felt that if I did, the Dr. would have seen that I was infected.....yes you're right, infections do happen....but there were many coming from this hospital at this time.....not sure if there still is.....don't care...I'm focusing on my health and have moved on..I wouldn't hesitate as well, I think just somewhere else....good luck to you and all the best with the weight loss.
AnnieInTheSky
on 12/22/09 2:35 pm - riverside, CA
hey guys! I just got back last night from Mexico! It was really cool! The doctor was nice and everyone was sweet! I have been doing really good except about 20 minutes ago I broke down and sucked on a candy cane aaaand so far I havent gotten sick!  Aside from that Ive been on the liquid diet. Stitches are itching but i think thats a good healing sign right?

Dr Almanza is a cutie and Dr Bettancourt is hilarious! I am happy so far, and ive lost one lb lol

149 to go!
thinasiwant
on 12/27/09 4:52 pm
So glad to hear you are well! Leaving soon...wish me luck!
Thinasiwant

AnnieInTheSky
on 12/28/09 12:58 am - riverside, CA
very best of luck!! Tell Dr Bettencourt that Annette says helo!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1838 views