Dr. Sergio Verboonen in Tijuana plus...

Alisa Sheets
on 12/3/08 2:26 am - Lott, TX
Hi all! Looking for info on Dr. Sergio Verboonen in Tijuana. Anyone used him at the Angeles Hospital?
  Also....what happens if you go to Mexico and you have a hiatal hernia or something? Will they still do the surgery? Or do they just send you home or something. OR do they fix it, then hold you hostage until you come up with more money??? LOL Just kidding, but you get my drift....
Anyway, thanks for your help folks!
Nicki H.
on 12/6/08 5:20 am - WA
Lap Band on 08/12/08 with
It depends on your surgeon.  I went to Puerto Vallarta.  Dr Joya has an emergency fund, for $500 non refundable you will be covered regardless of what happens.  He scopes you before he starts to check for any hernias.  If he finds one he fixes it, then he will do your sugery.  I know not too many surgeons scope and fix....

I delivered 6 weeks early a 5lb 15oz lil boy:)  After spending 2 months on bed rest in the hospital and Mason spending 11 days in the NICU, we're both home and doing great!  Mason is getting bigger and gaining weight like he should.  Now it's my turn to lose this weight!  It's tough to get back on the band wagon...I CAN do this!

Dedria
on 1/4/09 11:26 pm
Hi Alisa,

I know Dr. Sergio Verboonan very well.  He and his team at Obesity Goodbye (Dr. Ponce, Dr. Frayre, Dr. Sanchez) -- all of those go into surgery with you -- did my lap band and about 50 others that I know.  I've lost 140 lbs. never to regain it.  They did my surgery at the INT hospital, which I prefer over Angeles, because it is smaller and you get more personal treatment.  But, Angeles is a good hospital from what I understand from friends who have had surgical procedures done there.  As for the hernia, I know some who have had hiatal hernias.  They must repair those before placing the lap band.  Any extra procedure is $500.  They can do an endoscopy ahead of time and let you know if you have a hernia that needs repairing or not, but most people don't want to pay extra for the scope.  I'm going on January 16 to take one other lady from Louisiana if you want me to ask them any kind of question or want to meet us there.

Dedria

ericaj021
on 2/24/09 9:00 am - Ripley, MS
HI MY NAME IS ERICA AND IM SURPOSE TO HAVE SURGERY WITH DR. SERGIO VERBOONEN. IS HE A GOOD DOC? I THOUGHT WHEN THE COORDINATOR CALLED THAT IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN A SCAM. COULD YOU WRITE ME AND LET ME KNOW ABOUT HIM AND THE STAFF?
PatyR
on 3/2/09 12:47 pm
I HAD MY PROCEDURE DONE WITH DR. PONCE DE LEON AND DR. VERBOONEN, THEY WERE BOTH GREAT, I DID MY RESEARCH AND FOUND THEY BOTH HAVE A GREAT DEAL OF EXPERIENCE, PLUS THE SURGERY WAS DONE AT A HOSPITAL (NOT A CLINIC), THAT MADE ME FEEL MORE COMFORTABLE.
(deactivated member)
on 3/5/09 10:25 pm - TN
Please do your research on Dr. Verboonen. There is a lot of information on him, Dr. Pompa and Dr. Huacuz and a Mr. Bettencourt in association with some kind of wrong-doings. Google it - I'm sure it will come up.

Also, Dr. Verboonen plead guilty to fraud in 2003. That may be something you might want to check out, as well.
jelizabeth
on 4/26/09 9:21 am
Uh oh. I have scheduled to have my 14 year old son have lap band surgery in july with Dr Verboonen. its so difficult to know the real deal on any of these guys. especially because we live so far away from mexico and its not as if they are drs in my community. scary. may need to do a little more research. thanks for your comments.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1838 views