leave from work..help!!!

queenfairy
on 11/26/08 4:21 am - midland, TX
RNY on 02/17/09 with
ok guys getting closer to my goal of scheduling surgery in mexico ...my main question is how do you guys go about your leave from work?? i work for a very picky company and to get my paperwork approved for my leave i need to know how to go about it...i was told to go to my HR but they said my doctor should fill out the paper work ...well kind of impossible!! anybody with info let me know thanks
sperk
on 11/26/08 11:23 am - moorhead, MN
VSG on 02/01/08 with
Take your two week vacation leave. No one needs to know where or how or what you are doing.
ALighterMe 1.
on 4/12/17 9:41 am

Hi, I know its been a long time but wanted to ask you if you filled out the FMLA forms for the dr to sign and or if the dr filled out the portion for your surgery? Did you put done WLS or something else? I really dont want to state exactly what I am having to my employer but not sure what to write or if the doctor knows. If you have a copy still can you tell me what was filled in for the doctor's section. Also did your employer ask why you were having surgery in Mexico instead of the states? I am thinking of saying because even though I have insurance it would still costs me more for my copay then in Mexico. What do you think? or what did you say? Thank you so much. Tell me how you are doing now.

Vicky

Idaho Bandito
on 12/1/08 9:55 am
Hi!

Congrats on your upcoming surgery!  Here are a few ideas/suggestions for  dealing with your employer.

1.  If you work for a company that has 50 or more employees and you' ve worked there for a while, then look into utilizing the family medical leave act.  If you qualify, they cannot stop you from taking time off for a medically necessary procedure.  Here is a link for  more info.

http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/fmla/

2.  Who is your surgeon in Mexico?  The surgeons office ,or better yet, your U.S. patient coordinator should be able to provide you with a letter stating that you require time off for a medically necessary surgery.  Ask them to be discreet if you prefer.  It doesn't have to state the type of surgery you are having if you don't want them to know.  If your employer insists on knowing all the particulars, then they are violating your HIPPA rights.

3. If your employer had a form they want filled out by the coctor, ask your patient  coordinator for  help with this.  

4.  If your surgeon and/or you coordinator won't help you with this, find a different surgeon. 

Hope this helps.  

Have a safe trip and let us know how things go for you.

Brigitte 
3 years post op and loving banded life!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1838 views