Surgery at Cosmed w/ Dr. Quiroz - where to stay?

Robin B.
on 9/4/08 11:26 am
I'm hoping to have surgery w/ Dr. Q (lower body lift and arm lift) in the next month and I'm looking for the best place to stay w/ my hubby. Anyone have any experiences that they can share as far as hotel vs. "healing house" or any other advice for traveling to MX for plastics.

Thanks!
Robin

Banded - 10.10.07
Starting Weight - 284               Current Weight - 144             Goal Weight - 149

Eggface
on 9/4/08 2:56 pm - Sunny Southern, CA
I stay at the Lucerna Hotel. Safe, clean, awesome staff, very used to PS patients, medical discount when you mention Dr. Q or Dr. F. 5 minutes from the clinic (walking distance). Across from Starbuck's, 2 blocks from the supermarket

www.hoteleslucerna.com

1-800-LUCERNA

I did the healing house thing once (first round) and now only do the Lucerna

Best wishes,
~Michelle

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Robin B.
on 9/4/08 11:14 pm
Did you like the healing house? Joyce suggested I go to "Recovery by the Sea" for at least 4-5 days after my surgery. Do you think it's necessary? My hubby will be with me. I wouldn't mind paying the $150 for the extra help, but because my hubby would be with me they charge an extra $95. That's alomst $250 per night. EEK!

Robin

Banded - 10.10.07
Starting Weight - 284               Current Weight - 144             Goal Weight - 149

Eggface
on 9/5/08 2:30 am - Sunny Southern, CA
I believe that is Elana's? I didn't stay at Elana's I have heard good things about her set-up. I stayed at Irene's and I have mixed reviews.

You know the healing house set-up is a great thing if you are the type of patient that needs assistance usually or likes when the nurse come in to your hospital room type thing...  I just want to be drugged and sipping my water in front of the TV.  I prefer privacy and quiet.

The hotel had everything I needed... food (room service is great), the restaurants are great, Alonso (very cool head bellperson) will do Starbuck's runs. They will put a fridge in your room on request. The pool area is beautiful and when I wanted to venture out I had a lovely place to relax. I felt good knowing I was 5 minutes from the clinic in case.

It was $88 (medical rate) a night and I spent about $10-15 on a meal a day, brought extra coffee for the coffee maker, brought protein and bars, they bring you fruit every night. It worked out great for me. I am somewhat local and so I go back for follow-ups, etc. and I always stay there.

HTH,
~Michelle

Bellina925
on 9/6/08 1:50 am - Margate, FL
No Elena is having some sort of issue & shut down when he had clients at Cosmed.... She even has others money who have not heard back from her.. The whole thigh is really strange. However Recovery By The Sea is fairly new  but more upscale beautiful & private... Sherri & her husband run that place in a private community...... She also is a RN

If you husband will be with you you very well may do fine in a hotel & save yourself some extra cash...... Lord knows we all need some of that right now LOL 

1st Fill Oct.13 2cc
2nd Fill Jan.10 1.4cc
3rd Fill Jul.26 .5cc
4th Un-Fill .9cc  Currently 1cc in band  2012 
Sally Rai
 Gastric Lap-Band 8/22/05 Dr. Rumbaut -Monterrey MX
Full TT w/ BA & BL 11/3/06 Dr Krau - Bal Harbor Miami, FL
Scar Revision/ Skin Graft 6/12/07 Dr Krau
2nd Breast Lift / Scar Removal 3/6/08 Dr Krau
Lasik Eye Surgery 11/19/08 Dr Keival (Bascom & Palmer Eye Institute) Miami, FL
 Liposuction  Thighs only ( 2 litters total removed )1/14/10 Dr Strasser Coral Springs, FL

Pending LBL/ Lg Thigh Lift / Lipo Dr Sauceda Monterrey Mx 9/2013 or  10/2013

Robin B.
on 9/6/08 2:35 pm
It wouldn't be so bad if the recovery houses took credit cards, but since they don't I'm not sure we can come up with that much cash. If people that have been through the expeience think I'm good to go without the recovery house I would probably opt for the hotel. I am more of the private type. It would also be reassuring to have the docs office 2 blocks away.

What kind of follow up visits do you have with the doc after? Daily? Every few days? Any info would be a GREAT help!

RObin

Banded - 10.10.07

Janel B
on 10/1/08 1:22 am - Oakley, CA
Recovery By The Sea is not Elena's.....Elena is in a bit of ho****er with Cosmed right now, for very legitimate reasons........once again, see my profile, or go to psjourneys.com Mexico Forum to see why, or you can email me and I'll give you the scoop. I was staying there when it all happened. Plus, Elena has 2 HUGE flights of stairs...I barely made it up them. If you're having lower body work done, I would not suggest staying there.

Anyway, Recovery by the Sea is run by an RN, and she has another RN that works with her that is the absolute best! I think that it would be in your best interest to stay for at least a few days at a recovery house where people who know exactly how to care for you are there 24/7. You'll need it, trust me. I had the exact same procedures you are having.

Lucerna is a nice hotel, and the room service is great!

I wish you the best!!!!
Janel  
Robin B.
on 9/8/08 9:39 am
Hey Michelle,

Few q's about the Lucerna:

Is it the one that is listed as TJ (probably a stupid Q but I want to make super sure before I book)?
Can I make the reservation at the 1-800 number and get the Dr. Q discount or do I need to book some otehr way?
Do you know if they have recliners there? If not, how did you sleep?

A non-Lucerna Q:

What kind of follow up does the doc have for the first 10 days? Does he see you daily? Bi-daily? Weekly?

Thanks for all your help and advice. This is a crazy scary journey for me and I could use all the guidance that I can get.

Robin

Banded - 10.10.07

Eggface
on 9/8/08 9:53 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Anytime.  

Yep. Lucerna Tijuana. You can call the 1-800 # and they will patch you through to the TJ location. Tell them you are wanting the medical rate and they will ask you what clinic/Dr. Ask for a small fridge if you need it.

They have some room pics the chairs are upholstered and there is a soft stool I pulled over. I slept all day in that and then set up the bed at night with extra pillows. I didn't need a recliner but they may have one.

Follow-up appointments depend on the procedures and how you are healing of course. I stayed overnight at the clinic in Round 1 (not in Round 2) and so Dr. Q saw me later that day and the next. Then I had some drains pulled on Day 4. I stayed 5 days. I'm fairly local so I returned 2 weeks or so later and then 2 weeks after that. If you are from out of town they do things a little differently.

~Michelle

Robin B.
on 9/8/08 11:16 am
Michelle, 

Thanks for the answers. I just got off the phone with the Lucerna and am booked for the whole trip. I did ask about the recliners and they told me they were available. Any other advice that you have to offer as far as what to bring, what to buy, what to wear? I'm trying to get myself ready early so that I can focus on my kids right before the trip. It's only 3 weeks until we leave!

Robin

Banded - 10.10.07

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 435 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1841 views