Length of Hospital Stay in Mexico

(deactivated member)
on 7/17/08 1:13 pm - Philidelphia, PA
I want to get the laproscopic Roux-En-Y in Mexico. Is there any doctor where your stay is less than 5 days? I really don't want to stay so long.

If you had Lap RNY in Mexico, how long were you there? How ong do you think you should have been there?

Thanks in advance!
msak
on 7/17/08 1:34 pm - WI
I believe if you go with thebariatricgroup.com you only stay four days although I was looking at the vsg I believe they have the same policy for the RNY.  Thier special is that you have the surgery on a wed for a cheaper price and I do believe Patti told me its only a 4 day stay.  A four day stay for an RNY is scary to me, but I do understand not wanting to stay there for too long.
Zena L.
on 7/17/08 11:59 pm

My stay was 10 days in Mexico for the open RNY. I could have left at 7 but am so glad I stayed a little longer. I wanted to make sure I stayed long enough to know if I had a leak or something else Dr. A would have needed to fix.

If I had to do it all over again, even with laparoscopic surgery, I would want to schedule 7-10 days in Mexico. It is major surgery and you don't want to push yourself or travel too soon and increase your risk of complications. I missed everyone back home but it's important to take care of yourself. Good luck! I don't regret going to mexico for surgery at all.

Amanda

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 7/18/08 3:21 am
I think Dr. Aceves is only 4 days for lap bypass.

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Eggface
on 7/18/08 9:03 am - Sunny Southern, CA
I had open RNY and was in Mexico for 9 days total (1 day before, 2 1/2 days in hospital, 5 1/2 in my Dr's designated apartment w/ private nursing for 4 of those days.) I highly recommend not pushing it and going for as many days as you need to.

Best wishes!
~Michelle

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Brooke28
on 7/20/08 1:14 pm - winnipeg, Canada
I had lap RNY in Monterrey - arrived on a Monday and flew home Thursday of the following week.  For me, the extra time was a good thing. I had some pain management issues and needed to stay in the hospital an extra two days...then having my doctor care for me at the hotel after was the best thing ever.  Back home I had my regular doctor but no one who specialized in wls so I was much more comfortable being close to my doctor for the first week after surgery.
Laurie D.
on 7/20/08 11:15 pm - OR
RNY on 07/16/07 with

I was in the hospital 4 nights and at a near by hotel for 4 nights.   I felt the days spent in Mexico were beneficial as it allowed my body to begin the healing process before traveling home.  It also allowed the doctors to time to monitor my progress and watch for the immediate type of complications. 

Good luck on your journey!

Loree

H 312  /  C 148 
Visit my WLS blog at:  www.bluepetels.blogspot.com

elizabethW
on 7/29/08 5:59 am - San Jose, CA
RNY on 08/08/08 with
I totally agree. This is not "drive-by" surgery! I get my rny next week and have planned to stay 10 days after the surgery so that the surgeon who put the stiches in can take them out. That gives me 10 days of rest and if something ocurrs then I am close to the doctor that did the surgery.
wiggy
on 7/31/08 9:54 am
hi elizabeth!
   i too am headed to dr. joya in august (august 12, 2008).  really looking forward to it.  i was impressed that dr. joya keeps us around for a few extra days to keep an eye on us.  they don't do that here in the states, that is for sure.
wiggy
elizabethW
on 8/4/08 9:42 am - San Jose, CA
RNY on 08/08/08 with
Well I will catch up with you in the hotel then. Best of luck with your surgery!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 435 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1840 views