Help

JClark1982
on 7/9/08 3:46 am
I am in the process of getting financing to have a Lap-Band.  Im receiving help from a group called Belite Weight.  My patient facilitator is awesome, but I was just wondering has anyone dealt with this group before?  My surgery will be preformed in Mexico and I just wanted to do a little more research.  Thanks
sperk
on 7/9/08 12:42 pm - moorhead, MN
VSG on 02/01/08 with
Congrats on the research. Have you also research on where you will go for your fills and unfills and the cost of having that done and a doctor that will do it? I also like you looked into having the lap-band but after a lot of research I found out that it was not for me. I did not want to be married to a doctor the rest of my life. Having fills taking in , fills taking out, the slippage that could happen.
I also went to Mexico to have this done. After all the research I did over 3 years I had the sleeve done you snip it and forget it. No dumping, no worry about what is in the food you eat, just a tiny tummy for all the good food out there, no extra doctor cost just a great operation overall.
JClark1982
on 7/9/08 12:59 pm
Thanks for the reply.  I dont want to jump into anything.  I like the lap band because its the least invasive of the procedures,  but I have come to learn that it's not for everyone.  I never realized before that there was so much to think about afterward.  i always thought the hardest part would be the diet, but I am seeing now that isn't really the case.  Thanks for your help..
The UnSLEEVED 0.
on 7/13/08 10:24 am

Please come and visit us on the VSG board.  I am getting rid of  my band as well... and the revision surgery actually takes less time than the band surgery... and since you are not geting a band removed... most surgeons report about and hour in surery  and the weight loss is comared to the RNY with out the malabsorption problems... continue to research.....

elizabethW
on 7/17/08 5:56 am - San Jose, CA
RNY on 08/08/08 with
This is no reflection on Belite or any other company that essentially "brokers" surgery. But your patient coordinator is essentially a salesperson, and like any good salesperson she is going to provide customer service.  A Canadian woman died on the table recently due to a leak of her RNY. She said beforehand that she felt really really confortable with the doctor, of whom she had never met. What she felt comfortable with the the patient cordinator, who was American. This doctor specialized in Lap Bands and does a significantly smaller business in RNY and DS -- both vastly more serious surgeries, where experience really counts.  She was hoping her "awesome" faciliator would take care of her, and forgetting that that company brokers surgery based upon thier marketing relationship with the doctors, not what might have been best for this client.   Again this is no reflection on Belite, I am sure they are great. It is always just best to know exactly what the business relationship is though and where you, the client, fit in.
JClark1982
on 7/17/08 9:05 am
Thanks for the input.  You are so right.  I have recently decided to have my surgery in Houston.  Nothing against the surgeons in Mexico, I just think my aftercare would be a lot easier here in the states.  Im in between two surgeons right now.  Dr. Hollis and Dr. Felts.  Ive found some info on both docs and it has all been good.  Just kind of scared right now.  Everything is moving so fast.  Im a self pay and Ive got the financing out of the way.  (Thank The Good Lord)  Now I have an appointment tomorrow with my doc to start all the labs.  Just a small case of the nerves I think.  Not because of the surgery by any means but I just want to pick the right doc.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks
elizabethW
on 7/17/08 9:45 am - San Jose, CA
RNY on 08/08/08 with
Well, it is scary. As you can see from my profile I am having my surgery done in Mexico. I feel my chosen surgeon has logged in enough hours and surgery on RNYs to make me feel about as confident as possible. Also my girlfriend just came back from having her surgery there.
Most of us who go to a foriegn country to have this done are paying out of pocket and US prices are simply out of the range for most of us without ins.   I have nothing against Mexican doctors but after doing a significant amount of resea*****luding speaking to friends of mine who are doctors in Mexico, I found that the border cities do have a higher incident of problems. Even the head of the medical society of Mexico has said that.   I have a problem when "broker" claim that 6 room "clinics" are "state of the art Hospitals", ect...  I think surgery in another country is fine ....but you do need to do your due dilligence.  You are spot on about the after care though. I am glad I will be staying in Mexico for 2 months after my surgery. If anything comes up I don't think I will have a problem finding a good doctor to look after me.
Kristi H.
on 8/13/08 9:28 am - E Wenatchee, WA
Belight was my facilitator for my lapband on 4-1. They were great to work with and even have a staff member at Hospital Angeles that met with me daily. Hospital Angeles is a $70million private hospital, that is the cleanest and most beautiful hospital i have ever been in. And i have been in quit a number over the yrs. Dr Corvala was my surgion and he and his staff were fantastic. Dr Corvala workes closely with Inamad and even helps train other surgeons. You can see his add for Bariatric Surgical Solutions on the left of the screen.
Research is very good, do it until you are completely satisfied and comfortable. But i highly recommend Dr Corvala, and know about a half a dzn ppl that have gone to him with great results. Good luck And God bless.
ps. there are pics of the hospital on my profile.

What ever the LORD brings you to, HE will bring you thru.....
FILL'S  1st 5-30 2cc's   2nd 7-10 4cc's  3rd 9-16 1cc 4th 11-22 1.4cc
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 435 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1840 views