newbie with questions

wiggy
on 7/7/08 3:16 am
hi all!       first all, let me say that lurking here for a few days and reading all the wonderful posts has helped me tremendously in making my decision to have WLS later this month(22 july!).     i do have a few questions.  my boyfriend is coming with me and is very supportive in what i have chosen to do for myself. i have chosen doctor joya in puerto vallarta.  i worry about his boredom factor!  will there be enough things for him to do?  he is eager to care, but i know that i won't be aware enough for the first few days.  is there wireless internet at the hospital and hotel?  is there enough english t.v. for him to watch?  he does not speak spanish and would not be able to go out much due to this language barrier.     if we wanted to upgrade to first class on the way home, is it very spendy?  is travel uncomfortable after RNY?  our flights are about 5 -6 hours with one layover.     at the hotel, is there a laundry facility?  did it help to bring your own pillow? blanket?   what did you bring from home that made your surgery and stay at the hospital/hotel better?  what do you wish you had brought with you?     i know this is a lot of questions and i am sure i have more, but i am drawing a blank for a minute.  thanks again for all the wonderful information. wiggy
sperk
on 7/7/08 5:55 am - moorhead, MN
VSG on 02/01/08 with
Hi yes there is internet at the hospital and resort. The tv has English channels to there is plenty to watch. If you go to Dr. Joya web site all those questions are answered there. He could get bored sitting by the pools or by the ocean looking at all the views. Seriously you two will have a great time there.
The day before you leave for home go online and check your airfare for upgrades might be cheaper then or call or go online now and check for upgrades and cost.
Bring a heating pad, if you have a favorite pillow, 1"x1" pads and tape for the incision, laptop, book, loose fitting shorts and top, jogging bra, swim suit for the first day that you are there, about 40 one dollar bills for tipping, ask for a upgrade room that faces the ocean, walking shoes, and have fun everything will be great for the two of you. Pm me with any questions... Steve
Julie Baker
on 7/10/08 10:06 am
RNY on 07/04/08 with
I am here right now with my husband after RNY with Dr. Joya on July 4th.  Internet is everywhere at the resort.  At the hospital, I think you need to get a code or something.  Tons of English TV - all sattelite or cable so there are several.  Most of them are dubbed in spanish, but you get used to it after a while. I agree with the other post on what to bring - especially the pillow part. Both the resort and hospital may leave you desiring a better pillow.  Also - LOTS of $1 bills for tipping.   The hospital is only a few blocks from the resort, so your boyfriend can easily go back and forth if you have a room there while you are in the hospital.   There are activities all day around the pool - volleyball, pool basketball, water aerobics, etc.  If you don't have a resort room for him while you are in the hospital, you might want to hope he will be happy watching lots of tv.  There is also a night club called Christine that is part of the resort - they have different things each night.  That may not open until 10:00 pm, but it is right on the main drag right before you get to the driveway for the resort. There are plenty of $$ things to do here - fishing, snorkeling, tours, and even a pirate ship dinner show. Plus of course all the shopping you could ever desire downtown.  These all cost money though. I was told by Holly who just left here that the pirate ship was hard to do because you had to sit on a bench with no back for 4 hours.  We son't be trying it, but is sure sounded fun. Most of the locals we have encountered know enough english to communicate pretty well.  Nathalie is available at all times for questions and she speaks great English.  All the Dr.s speak English pretty well too. We had our surgery on July 4th and today is our 3rd day at the resort.  This is the first day either of us has really felt like doing anything, but we settled for walks on the beach, reading our novels, and lounging at the pool for a while.  Tomorrow we are going to go out on a driving tour of the area south of PV. Also - any fears or reservations you may have should all be put to rest.  We have received the best possible medical care I have ever seen.  I have been in US hospitals with 3 C-Sections and have never had this type of personalized attention.  I think there are only 12 rooms in the hospital.  There are other hosplitals, but I think this one is private (San Javier).  I don't think a day passed that I did not see at least 2 Dr's from Dr. Joya's office.  One has come every day to our room at the resort since we were released. One more thing - I strongly suggest you pay the $500 complication fund.  I had a reaction to my IV that ended up requiring a Cat scan (before the fever was proven to be from the IV) and that alone could have bankrupt me.  You just never know  - I think no one can afford NOT to pay into it.  If you want to email me at my personal email, feel free!  I think it is on my profile. I don't think travel back on the plane is going to be very uncomfortable at all.

wiggy
on 7/16/08 4:07 pm
thank you julie and sperk!  i am so thankful for your kind words and encouragement.  julie, i hope that your ride home is very comfortable and uneventful.  i am a little worried about the $500 fund for complications.  worried about have money left over from all this, but i will make up my mind here soon. i too have had a couple of c-sections and thought i had pretty good care in idaho.  we shall see how good the mexico care is  ;)  let me know how you are feeling when you get back!
wiggy
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 435 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1840 views