Self Payers

msak
on 7/6/08 1:28 pm - WI
I have been having this dilemma.  In my mind I think I should get WLS for my health, but if I get the surgery I have no way to afford complications.  If I can't afford to fix the complications after surgery then I will be in an even worse situation.  Then again maybe I am thinking too far ahead.  Maybe I should just take one step at a time and work on the problems as they come.  On the other hand I want to make sure I am prepared for things that may happen.  Any self payers have these same thoughts about WLS with out insurance? I am feeling like depending on if there is complications or not that this could be a foolish decision or a brilliant one.  I just read about people having intestinal blockage and twisting that required surgery, so that worried me a bit.  I know there is risks of complications with any surgery.  Just wondering if any of you had these thoughts and how did you rationalize your decision. 
sperk
on 7/6/08 1:37 pm - moorhead, MN
VSG on 02/01/08 with
That is one of the reasons why I had the sleeve done. Far less complications with that.
Plus now Dr. Joya has an Ins. option that he just started for only $500 more.
Cathy614
on 7/7/08 5:38 am - Viera, FL

Hi, Do you have any more info on that ins. option?  I went to Dr. Joya's website and didn't see anything on there about this option.  Do you know what the option covers in terms of complication, etc.?  I am so ready to have WLS, but have been scared silly thinking about all the complications that could arise after surgery.  I'm pretty healthy now - other than my weight & sleep apnea.  I have to be a self-payer now that my husband's co. can not get the rider for WLS from their ins. co.  Not enough employees, so ins. won't sell them the rider. Any help would be apreciated!

sperk
on 7/7/08 6:07 am - moorhead, MN
VSG on 02/01/08 with
here on the right side of the page half way down.

http://www.drjoya.com/internet.html
Cathy614
on 7/8/08 8:07 am - Viera, FL
Found it - thanks!
cindyl123
on 7/7/08 11:50 am - boca raton, FL

you should check with the insurance company.  Even if they don't pay for the surgery they may pay for complications

Cathy614
on 7/8/08 9:35 am - Viera, FL

(Smacks self in head).  Now why didn't I think of that!   Got so upset when I found out insurance doesn't cover WLS that I never considered that they might pay for any complications.  Guess I know who my first phone call will be to in the morning.  LOL! Thanks!

Idaho Bandito
on 7/9/08 4:01 pm
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 435 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1840 views