Follow up costs and/or complications

Jody H.
on 7/1/08 1:56 am - Des Moines, IA

If you self-paid on a package to Mexico - what kind of follow up costs should be anticipated for when you return home?   i.e. self-pay for strictures, or ulcers,  or infections, etc. ?

Thanks for your answers.

Jody

sperk
on 7/1/08 2:32 am - moorhead, MN
VSG on 02/01/08 with
Just the copay on your ins.
Zena L.
on 7/1/08 7:33 am
I've only had to pay co pays for blood work! I have been lucky not to have complications.
Laurie D.
on 7/1/08 11:09 am - OR
RNY on 07/16/07 with

Hi Jody,  I checked with my health care provided to find out how they would handle complications or regular follow-up visits for WLS if performed outside of their plan.  For me it means seeing their urgent or emergent care folks if I have what I think is a WLS complication, but I really don't have any routine follow up care through them.  My co-pay applies to the urgent or emergent care visits.  

I did ask my PCP if he would be willing to pull labs since they are technically routine follow ups.  The good news is that he said he would, but I will find out for sure when I have my 1yr check up next week.  

Loree

H 312  /  C 148 
Visit my WLS blog at:  www.bluepetels.blogspot.com

Jody H.
on 7/1/08 11:33 am - Des Moines, IA
Thanks Loree - I tried asking this question of customer service with my insurance - and she just didn't know.  ?!?  (She sounded sweet and  young.)     I'm still waiting on a decision and hopeful surgery will be covered, but not optomistic due to recent rules changes (3 year phsycian supervised diet).    If I'm declined I'm not sure I want to wait 3 years. I've been really impressed with some of the reviews of surgeons - so I'm mentally putting together my back up plan.     I plan to confirm with me PCP to make sure she will treat me afterwards before getting signed up anywhere.  Jody

Laurie D.
on 7/1/08 12:16 pm - OR
RNY on 07/16/07 with

Hi Jody, I emailed my health care provider and asked for a written (emailed) response .  You might want to give this a try....hopefully it will get you are more expert and formal response.    At least I hope so. :)

I went through appeal process with my insurance company.   It basically came down to me needing to gain weight, develop at least one life threatening co-morbidity, and then still go through the pre-surgery hoops.  At that point I said 'enough'. 

I hope that your plan will cover the surgery.  Having it 'in plan' certainly does save money and allows for better follow up care.  But if you do end up looking south of the border there are some good surgeons.  I have not once regretted my decision

Best wishes on your journey. 

Loree

H 312  /  C 148 
Visit my WLS blog at:  www.bluepetels.blogspot.com

mrsbu
on 7/1/08 1:17 pm - Charlotte, NC
RNY on 02/21/08 with
I self paid in Mexico and have only paid to have my stitches taken out and Aetna would have paid for that had I submitted it. I have had my three month check up and blood work with my regualr PCP and all was well and only paid my deductable
Sandra Mannaravalappil......The Best Darn Chubby Realtor in Charlotte LOL

vicric1
on 8/6/08 8:55 am
Post Date: 8/6/08 3:25 pm
I had the lap band surgery in October 2007 in Mexico with Dr. Ortiz Lagadere, at the Obesity Control Center. I had severe abdominal pain and vomiting after I arrived home on the 3rd, and had to be hospitalized twice: once at my local hospital and then transferred by ambulance to the closed large medical center which is about an hour from my home in Washington state.

The band was eventually removed by a surgeon here who said that it hadn't had any stabilizing sutures placed at all, and was moving around.  I was immediately better after the removal, and went home the next day.  Including the original cost of the surgery ($8,500) I now have over $38,000 in medical bills, NONE of which was covered by my insurance here, as it was related to a "non-covered" procedure.

The OCC is also completely ignoring me now, even after sending them copies of the statement by the surgeon here and the bills.  Most of us know how friendly and solicitous they are before the surgery, but you better hope you don't have ANY complications. I am now in debt, being treated poorly by those who were supposed to be caring for me, and by the way, still overweight because all this was for nothing.

You should also know your legal recourse if there were complications is very limited if you can get anyone to even think about taking your case.....which is why these clinics are in Mexico, of course.  It isn't just for you to save money.

Think carefully and good luck whatever you choose.
Jody H.
on 8/6/08 9:29 am - Des Moines, IA
Insurance is covering me - so I'm having the procedure done here locally.     

But thank you so much for your response to this question - I think it's important to understand all the possible outcomes when accepting a risk.

Jody
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 435 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1840 views