TAX REFUND based on your surgery!

Brooke28
on 6/16/08 4:09 am - winnipeg, Canada

I didn't know about this until recently so I thought I would share in case anyone else doesn't know.   Don't know about the States but in Canada you can claim out of country medical expenses on your taxes!!  As long as you have receipts you can claim your flights (and if someone came with you, you can claim that too) your hotel and your surgery! Also you can claim a daily amount for food without receipts.  I was shocked to learn all this and even more shocked at the difference it made in my taxes.  My tax refund was an extra $4800 because of this!!!  Woot woot!!

wannabhealthy45
on 6/17/08 1:07 am - Canada
Are you serious????? OMG...that is so awesome!!!  Do you mind me asking, what the amount you paid for your surgery?  Was it a package deal?  I'm thinking of doing a package deal, but I guess the same would apply? This is soooo exciting!!!  Thank you so much for the information!!!!!
Brooke28
on 6/17/08 11:46 am - winnipeg, Canada
I paid about $14,500 USD for my gastric bypass with Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey, Mexico.  Mine wasn't a package deal - I also paid for the hotel and the flights.  I can't think of any reason the package deal thing wouldn't still apply for the tax refund - maybe call Canada Revenue to find out for sure.  If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me.  Good Luck!
Dedria
on 6/17/08 5:25 am
You can definitely claim any medical-related expenses on a U.S. tax return, including the cost of the procedure, flights, food, hotel... any travel-related expenses associated with medical treatment.  You will simply need a receipt from the doctors for the medical procedure, whether it is a lap band or any other kind of surgery.  I did it two years ago when I got my mind and was so pleased with my refund.
wannabhealthy45
on 6/17/08 12:23 pm - Canada
Thanks so much for all the info, this is great news.  I think I will contact Revenue Canada just to see.  I'm going to do it anyway, but will be a nice bit of help next year :)
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 435 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1841 views