What to do to get ready???

toothfairy.mitchell
on 6/13/08 3:07 pm
VSG on 06/30/08 with
I am scheduled for the 30th with Dr. Joya, and I am starting to wonder what I should do to get ready. How much money should I be taking (besides the surgery costs)? Do I need to convert money or anything? What kind of clothing did you guys take? Any suggestions would be appreciated!! This is not only my first trip of any kind, but my first hospital stay!! I feel so unprepared!
Eggface
on 6/13/08 4:05 pm - Sunny Southern, CA
Well I had a different Dr. and it was 2 years ago but here's the list of things I took hopefully it'll help a bit. I had Open RNY so t-shirts for under the binder won't be necessary for you. http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/06/sotb- surgery-list.html ~Michelle

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Laurie D.
on 6/14/08 3:12 am, edited 6/14/08 3:42 am - OR
RNY on 07/16/07 with

We brought Pesos for  taxi rides and tips for the drivers, store clerks, and hotel maids.  The rest of our expenss we pretty much put on credit cards.  I think we brought about $60.00 in Pesos with us, but ATMs are available and will dispense your funds in Pesos.  

You might want to give Gerald a call to find out how much the Taxi's cost per ride.  I think it was around 30-50 pesos per trip ($3-$5)when I was there last year but don't remember exactly. 

The normal expenses outside of surgery would be taxis, tips, bottled water and meals once you leave the hospital.  I did purchase pain meds and acid blockers when leaving the hospital as the Dr wrote a prescription for these items.  

Also the port hole dressings need to be changed daily after leaving the hopital so I went to the store right in front of the hotel and purchased guaze and tape to keep them bandaged well.

I lived in the hopsital gown for the first four days after surgery, and then in capri pants and tshirts the remaining 4 days in the hotel.  I brought a swim suite but since we cannot go into the pool or ocean I never wore it.  I did bring my own robe and slippers but the hospital provides slippers and an extra gown for the 'backside' when walking around.  I am still glad I brought my own robe though.  

I also brought broth packets and crystal light.  However, I lived on the hotel soup and iced tea so never got into what I had brought from home.  I am very glad I brought some of my favorite lip glosses since there are no oral liquids for the first few days after surgery.

Gosh, there is so much.   Feel free to PM or see my blog below for more details. 

Congrats on your upcoming surgery!

Loree

H 312  /  C 148 
Visit my WLS blog at:  www.bluepetels.blogspot.com

alecjenny
on 6/16/08 3:18 pm - LIttleton, CO
Hi Eric, I too am scheduled with Dr. joya, I leave June 30th with surgery scheduled for the 1st.  On Dr. Joya's member board thru yahoo.com there is a list of items that is suggested to bring with you.  I think that it was posted by Nathalie about 2 weeks ago, but I know it is still available because I printed it last night too hopefully get more prepared for the date.   You are the first person that I have heard of that will be there at the same time as myself so I will see you then, be sure to be in touch with any extra info that you gain prior to your trip. Thanks so much, Jenny
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 435 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1841 views