Going to Dr. Aceves June 3rd!!!!!

Bard4fun
on 5/19/08 11:29 am
That awsome look forward to seeing you there!!!
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 5/20/08 12:04 pm
I'm getting a sleeve with Dr. Aceves July 8. So I will be looking at all your posts eagerly to see what is next. Guess I'd better start shoping for liquid protein.
Bard4fun
on 5/20/08 8:41 pm
Looks like we will just miss each other. Yes, go and start shoping and it will make it more fun, and safer in that you will know what to expect from each product.
Thommasaz
on 5/26/08 8:51 am - Mesa, AZ
Don't worry at all. I had HUGE concerns about going to Mexico for surgery. Dr Aceves and Dr. Compos were awesome. Tell them both that the guy that wrecked his car down there said "Hello", ok? It was a wonderful experience for me and I have nothing but praise for the whole process. Good Luck, Tom
iammelissa
on 6/12/08 3:39 am - federal way, WA
I'm leaving a week from Monday to have my surgery on the 25th.  So excited and nervous!

Melissa

crysdan
on 7/29/08 1:40 pm - Yakima, WA
I'm considering Dr. Aceves for a gastric sleeve.  Please share about your experience.  Would you recommend him?
iammelissa
on 7/30/08 4:57 am - federal way, WA
ABSOLUTELY!!!

I was just going for it, I wasn't nervous about going to Mexico like a lot of people that I talked to, like my family.  My husband was nervous and went with me.  As soon as we got to the hospital and we met the Dr. my husband was re-assured.

The 1st day we met a couple people there for band fills and they were telling me that I had made a wonderful choice.  I had my bloodwork and then was taken back to the hotel, which was very beautiful. 

That night Dr. Campos came to the hotel and met with me and my "sleeve sister" and gave some information about how we WONT be eating anymore and answered any quetions we had.

The next morning we went to the hospital.  I took a little nap waiting for my turn to have surgery and then I was off and before i knew it I was back. 

All of the Dr's were wonderful. They checked in on me all the time.  The nurses were great too. NO ONE was rude whatsoever and I've never had such a great experience with a medical professional!!!!

As for the surgery itself. 

The 1st week post op was brutal with clear liquids, when I moved on to full liquids it was a bit better.  My tummy is taking it's time healing and even though I'm a little over a month out I'm still  only able to tolerate liquids, I like carnatiion instant breakfast becasue protein drinks make me gag, and liquidy  yogurt.  I can eat a couple bites of egg and that's it.    It's a bit hard right now because I miss being able to chew. I'm craving a salad so bad!!!

BUT, it's for the best, I'm losing weight and feel wonderful about that.  My tummy will heal and I will be able to eat a little, and will need to learn to eat to live, not live to eat!!   A lot of it is emotional and re-teaching ourselves that!!!

My family is so proud of me and my 13 year old says that he can tell I've lost weigh in my face and that I look so pretty!!!  That's a fabulous feeling!

So go for it, it's work, but you only have health and happiness to gain!!!!!!

hope that helps, now that i'm a month out and I am starting to see results I can give feedback like i got when I was looking in to the surgery!!

Melissa

crysdan
on 7/30/08 5:37 am - Yakima, WA
Thank you for the quick response.  I'm so happy for you! 

I'm ready to schedule the surgery, but it upsets my husband so much he won't even talk to me about it.  I don't like having to do it without him, but it may come down to that.  Your message is very reassuring.  You will be my inspiration!

My husband's worried about potential complications after surgery.  Have you had any problems with infection or anything?  Have you had to find a doctor for any kind of follow-up?  Also, how soon were you able to go back to work?

Crystal
iammelissa
on 8/1/08 3:21 am - federal way, WA
My husband was scared too, but luckily I was able to have him do some research of his own, and tell him about other people's experiences and it helped a lot!

I'm so happy to be an inspiration!!!!

Funny you should ask about complications!  The ONLY one I had was caused by my husband.  He was insisting that I covered by incisions, so I did, and then they weren't healing and started to get infected.... Then I contacted the Dr. and they said, no no no, we want them uncovered!! So now they are healing up just fine!   

No other complications at all!   I just have the food issue, but that's just my tummy taking it's time adjusting.  yesterday I at 3 bites of spaghetti and so it's moving along....

I went to my family dr. before I left and let her know what i was doing. She was nervous, but pleased that i had done my research and was supportive, she knows obesity is a huge "complication" in itself!

I had the surgery on a wed june 25th. I took the following week of work too, just to help me recuperate, but with all my kids  I didn't get much rest.   I went to the 4th of July celebration and walked quite a ways to get there, so your really up and going very quickly!

Since I've been back at work I have been extra tired!! that's normal because we can't hardly eat, and it's hard to get the protein in.

Melissa

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 435 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1841 views