Looking into the Lap surgery in Mexico

iammelissa
on 4/7/08 3:45 am - federal way, WA
Hello, I'm new here.  I'm 35 and am 284 lbs 5'3. I work as a social worker in Child Welfare. I have 4 biological children and adopted 3 from foster care, so as you can imagine I've not been one to take care of myself!   I'm looking into surgery in Mexico and at first I thought my husband would say no way, but it looks like he is going to support me in this!. I was doing research, I'm sure I haven't done enough  yet, but Dr.Ortiz's office looked like a good choice.   I am nervous about the expense!  Also, I have trouble thinking about spending that kind of money on myself!!    Any tips to help me make up my mind. Melissa
Zena L.
on 4/7/08 5:09 am
Are you looking to get the lap band or the laporoscopic RNY? I also work in Child Welfare...what a job!
iammelissa
on 4/7/08 5:57 am - federal way, WA
The Lap, much less invasive!
sperk
on 4/7/08 6:36 am - moorhead, MN
VSG on 02/01/08 with
Before you pick having the lap band do a lot of research on it. Go read the lap band board then go read the sleeve board. I was all for the lap band till I found out about the sleeve. You will have a life time baby sitting job with the lap band you will not with the sleeve. That is only one of the great points on having the sleeve over the lap band. The $2000 you save in having the lap band done over having the sleeve done you will spend way more down the road having your band filled and unfilled and maybe have compilations with it slipping and so on. Just give it a lot of research and good luck with everything.  If you have any questions feel free to ask anything.
iammelissa
on 4/9/08 2:53 am - federal way, WA
Sperk, how much have you lost?
sperk
on 4/9/08 8:25 am - moorhead, MN
VSG on 02/01/08 with
I am down 56lbs so far.
iammelissa
on 4/10/08 4:58 am - federal way, WA
That's great!  Thanks for the tip to explore the sleeve instead of the band, becasue i'm feeling like it may be a much better option for me!
iammelissa
on 4/8/08 3:11 am, edited 4/8/08 3:12 am - federal way, WA
what did you have  done?  Did either of you have the sleeve?   What was your experience?   How long were you out of work?  I have little ones so I wouldn't want to be down very long!
(deactivated member)
on 4/22/08 7:04 am
If your are going to Mexico please consider Dr. Guillermo Alvarez - he is awesome and very highly recommend my hundreds of people here on OH!  He does mostly Sleeves and Lap-Bands.  And definately checkout the sleeve with your busy lifestle - it has almost no need for follow up care and you return to a very normal lifestyle. Plus, you will lose weight faster with the VSG.
iammelissa
on 4/22/08 7:10 am - federal way, WA
I have information for Dr. Alvarez. I have saved all my emails from the different doctors so I can make the best decision.  One thing that was leading me away from him was that because my BMI is 49.6 they would want an extra $500 for the anesethia.   It has to be under 48 to not and honestly with my food issues I don't know if I could lose the weight to get down under 48!!!! I think the sleeve is what I'm going to do.  Now I guess I'm going to go in debt for a little while!!

Melissa

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 435 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1840 views