Can't even stick to the pre op diet

Elaine C.
on 3/12/08 3:22 pm - Port Coquitlam, Canada
RNY on 03/17/08 with
HELP!!! I cheated on the pre op diet and now I am scared that I have messed up the surgery.  I have lost 13lbs so far.  Am not planning on cheating again it is so hard especially when the reason that I am having this is to help me lose weight 'cause I can't seem to do it by myself.  Anyone have any probs because they cheated?
glamacurls
on 3/13/08 12:08 am - Olive Branch, MS
RNY on 02/19/08 with
Hey there, it sounds to me like you are doing great on the pre op diet. Losing 13lbs so far is awesome. Cheating one time is not going to hurt you just try to stick to it for your own good. I lost 16lbs on my pre op diet and recovery was a breeeze... I keep waiting on the pain to start and it never did! You will be fine so don't worry! Good luck to ya. Also, you will love Dr. Joya and his team they are simply the best!
Julie
mrsbu
on 3/13/08 4:09 am - Charlotte, NC
RNY on 02/21/08 with
You are going to be fine don't worry. I am a  diabetic and there were times when I had to cheat on my pre-op diet. I needed to keep my sugar up, I lost ten pounds during my pre-op which was fine as I take diabetic meds that make me retain fluid and gain weight. The fact that you lose weight shows them that you tried and applied yourself. If you must cheat do it with grilled chicken, sushi, cheese high protein low fat is the best. Once yu get there you will be fine they are the greatest groip of people and dr's I have ever met.
Sandra Mannaravalappil......The Best Darn Chubby Realtor in Charlotte LOL

Elaine C.
on 3/13/08 8:57 am - Port Coquitlam, Canada
RNY on 03/17/08 with
Great, I had read some stories that if you cheat they might not even perform the surgery so I kind of panicked.  I am trying to stick to it as much as I can (without killing my family) I am going to a buffet type thing on Sunday so hopefully they have a little chicken and cheese). So if I am having surgery on the Monday is it true that I can't even have a drink of water on the day of surgery? Thanks Elaine
sperk
on 3/13/08 10:52 am - moorhead, MN
VSG on 02/01/08 with
You should not be having any solid food at all. You should be on  two weeks of nothing but liquids before the surgery. Skip the buffet.
TammyLynne
on 3/13/08 11:05 am - Canada
RNY on 11/13/07 with
You wil be fine even though you cheat a little. I did once... DH took me out for shrimp on the friday and i ate a whole plate full of it.  Not that it did any good, as my tummy was so upset from eating that i spent the rest of the night with stomach cramps..   But try not to eat a few days before you leave cause they want you pretty well empty.     As for drinking anything the day of surgery... NOPE you cant have anything. Not even a sip of water.  Its really hard i know but you can make it!!!  
mrsbu
on 3/13/08 12:09 pm - Charlotte, NC
RNY on 02/21/08 with
I don't think I would be cheating all that close to surgery as it will still be in your system. I did not cheat at all period. for 6 days leading up to surgery and it was for medical reasons. If you have to go to this buffett function have only what you should have or you very may lose your surgery once you get down there.In my opinion there is a bg difference between a slip or two and just flagrantly disregaurding the rules. Alos you cannot drink on the day of surgery and for that matter none after your surgery. My RHY was on a thursday and I got some ice chips on Sunday and a glass that was half apple juice/half water on Monday. My surgery was 2/21 and I am still not due to eat anything until the 17th and that will only be the pureed diet. Think this over really well as once the surgery is done cheating could possible kill you

Elaine C.
on 3/13/08 2:19 pm - Port Coquitlam, Canada
RNY on 03/17/08 with
Of course you are all absolutely correct and I had been thinking about my post after I posted it.  No I will not cheat anymore because the only one getting cheated is me.  That is why it is good to have these message boards because sometimes you need a kick to make you think about what you are doing and get you back on the right track and have someone point out what you are doing wrong.  I wasn't actually planning on cheating at the buffet I thought would it really mess it up if I had something and now I realize that yes it would mess up everything. Thanks again Elaine (who is now down 15lbs so obviously doing SOMETHING right).
mrsbu
on 3/14/08 12:51 am - Charlotte, NC
RNY on 02/21/08 with
Elaine this is so tough for all of us and thnak goodness we have eachother for support here. Dr Joya is a wonderful man as are his associate Dr's. He is very cautious and makes us wait longer then other dr's do to drink and eat but that is for our own benefit. The longer we take it easy on our tummies the less chance of complications. I know it really sucks too LOL We are all here for you and there are going to be other people from this board in the hospital with you . You will all meet when you are walking up and down the hall for exercise. Just a suggestion bring you own PJ's it makes you feel more human and then frees you from having to wear the gowns while recuperating.Good luck and we are all here for you

Elaine C.
on 3/14/08 5:35 am - Port Coquitlam, Canada
RNY on 03/17/08 with
Thank you.  I am looking forward to meeting with my other WLS buddies.  Will probably not be posting till after I come back now as all of a sudden there seems so much to do to get my affairs in order. Elaine
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 435 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1841 views