Leaving on Tuesday and old pros I need your input

mrsbu
on 2/13/08 12:30 pm - Charlotte, NC
RNY on 02/21/08 with
We are leaving on Tuesday very early for Puerta Vallarta, my surgery is on thursday. Did anyone bring their protein with them ? I am going to be ther 2 days before my surgery so I will need my liquid diet stuff. I will also be there four days after surgery , should I bring my own protein powders and bullion, and the CIB to sip sip sip after surgery. I know I need all the normal things I would usually take to Mexico anyway just merged with a trip to the hospital. Please mexican Goddesses let me know what I should bring protein wise. Thanks in advance for your help
Sandra Mannaravalappil......The Best Darn Chubby Realtor in Charlotte LOL

(deactivated member)
on 2/13/08 1:57 pm - FL
I took 12 bottles of water, broth soups, pre-packaged jello, apple and white grape juices and lifesavers.  This is the liquid diet that my physican had me on.  I did not want to have to go shopping after surgery plus I would have had to walk.  When I was transported from the hospital I was asked if I needed to go to the store but I was already set.   Good Luck on your surgery and I hope it is as easy as mine. Coolbreeze
Jennifer W.
on 2/13/08 8:28 pm - Kimberly, OR
It may be TMI but I would suggest taking a container of TUCKS pads for your bottom after the laxative they give you. Also take pads, tampons stuff. Many have a visit from Aunt Flow right after surgery. Take your protein, chicken broth and all that stuff. It will make it easier once you are in the motel. I will never regret going to Mexico for this procedure. You will have a great time. Take comfy walkin shoes... you'll need them. Jen

LinZhi's Mum
on 2/14/08 9:03 am - Wadsworth, OH
RNY on 11/30/05 with
I flew, so weight was an issue for me. I was more concerned about clothes and stuff..LOL not really. I went alone, Natalie took me to on my way to the resort to store, not as crowded as walmart there, and I got a styrofoam cooler, and got sugar free juices, water and bullion. I did not take CIB. I think Joya kept you on clears. The hotel makes a special soup there, if they know your joya's pts and its like a stained tortilla soup, broth only. I did buy a hot pot ( to hea****er) and left it there for Natalie to share with someone else. I am not a fruit person, but he did say diluted apple juice, I had one of surgery mates, get little light headed from it. The bullion cubes there, are much more stronger....I liked them and brought some home. but the things I took was broth packets, tea bags, just light stuff like that. One of the girls brought some jello, and the guys at restraunt made it for us, and we took to room and put in our coolers. The hotel, I forgot the name, the big resort....I sure your at the same place, Dr. Joya's pts are KNOWN and catered too. They will bring broth soup to your room if you call. The hotel has snack gift shop, it has sugar free popsicles, they tasted like almost grapefruit, but was nice. He had them keep them there in stock. They were inexpensive. We went on a trip, that was a cruise to a island, and had dinner. We thought they would least have ho****er, but they did not. So we had to sip water while our Non surgery friends ate...but it was still fun!!!!  If your on the beach..they have waiters, and can get cold bottle water anytime. You know i might have taken some of the crystal light thingees to put in my water for flavor. My GF came to mexico the day I got to go to the hotel. She went to walmart and grocery store right down the street. You can get anything you want.  I think too....lord my memory is bad....they put so many bottles of water in your room, and we made sure to hide any we might have not used so the housekeeper would totally restock the room.  At the hotel, ask immediately for a eggcrate mattress to your bed. The beds are hard.  Have good shoes, as you feel better and walk around, the little roads within the resort are like brick pavers and I was realy careful, cause they can be uneven bricks at times.  And if your in the area where we were, they had continal breakfast everymorning by the beach on patio. and every evening snack and wine and beer. My friend, we made sure she made it every day....she would fill up and be "less" food to buy for her to eat!!! The evening was happy hour type thing. I would always go and sit outside, was absolutley beautiful.  So your husband may want to catch this.  Good luck..if I think of anything else. Other than your basic tolietries.....You should be fine.  Oh have some dollar bills or small coins, for the little guys that take you from front door of resort to your room, They are like big golf cart thingees. There will be times you will not feel like walking, we always tipped them a buck or so.  Goodluck,  can't wait to hear how things go!!!  I love Dr. Joya, and the whole gang I was at San Javier hospital Hugs, Sandy

Hugs,                           
Sandy aka LinZhi's Mum

Laurie D.
on 2/14/08 10:06 am - OR
RNY on 07/16/07 with
I brought about a dozen or so of the IDS Protein Bullets with me.  They are a clear liquid protein and the tubes are very travel friendly.   I believe GNC has their own variety of the Bullet now.  I was given the green light for clear liquids the day they let me go to the hotel (day 4).  We ate out every meal so for me that meant sipping on the broth of the hotel's two soup varieties (Tortilla or Chicken/Rice).  I brought my own soup packets but 'eating out' was just more fun. The Protein Bullets or any protein powder that mixes into to a clearer liquid (like the Isopure berry protein powders)  should be okay as you will likely be on clear liquids for 7 days after leaving the hospital.   Congrats on your upcoming surgery !! Loree

H 312  /  C 148 
Visit my WLS blog at:  www.bluepetels.blogspot.com

fernandaf1012
on 2/14/08 9:55 pm - Staten Island, NY

i would advise you to take crystal light or any of the sugar free powder mix, because you will be on a clear liquid diet so this mix are not heavy to carry and you can just mix it with water there! take a few flavors I found that after surgery I would like some flavors better that others! good luck with surgery!!!!!

mrsbu
on 2/18/08 11:45 am - Charlotte, NC
RNY on 02/21/08 with
  Thanks everyone for the help. I am still packing but I am loading up on Unjury Chichken soup flavor, some protein bullets, crystal lite and the like. I think we have stayed in another Krystal Resort , pretty much most Mexico Beach resorts are the same, whichever coast you are on.    We have upgarded to an Ocean View room as they don't have suites there. I am gettting excited as we go to Mexico almost every February anyway at least this time we are going to some place other then Play del Carmen and Cozumel.    We love to go to Mexican Walmarts we are so stupid my husband and I. We seem to run to a Walmart where ever we go, so if I forget anything we can get it there. Thanks to all my South of the Border friends

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/08 5:33 pm - AZ
You guys had to bring your own food??  Wow.... My doc keeps us in the hospital for two nights after surgery and we go from the hospital to the airport so the hospital provides absolutely everything we need. I just can't imagine a doctor making you go shopping in Mexico after surgery for basics such as that.
mrsbu
on 2/28/08 1:17 am - Charlotte, NC
RNY on 02/21/08 with
Just to let you know that all of the stuff I brought protein wise was completely unexessary. I as in hospital for  days and at the hotel I am on a clear diet no protein allowed. Having a love affair with juice and broth, as an RNY patient none of that was necesary. however the entire hunting gathering of it gave me something to do while I was waiting to travel so it served a purpose.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 435 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1841 views