What happens once your back at home....

stefanie82
on 2/5/08 3:03 am - Springfield, OH

I was just wondering after you get back from Mexico, since the surgeon is there, what would you do if you had any problems. I know there is the emergency room, but how much would they know about the surgery? Probably sounds silly, but I'm a worry wart. Thanks, Stefanie

(deactivated member)
on 2/5/08 5:52 am - TX
I had some issues with one of my incisions not wanting to heel.  It was right at my waste and it started oozing.  I panicked a bit and called my doctors emergency number in mexico on a Saturday.  When I did not hear back right away I went to a local clinic who told me it was normal and try to let it breath more.  When I returned home, my doctor from Mexico had returned my call.  My suggestion to you is, make sure you have good numbers for your actual surgeon in case there is an issue and also locate hospitals in your area that have a bariatric ward so that you know that hospital will have at least one doctor that knows what is "normal". Best of luck!
stefanie82
on 2/5/08 9:54 am - Springfield, OH
Thanks, I know in my city there is only one bariatric surgeon. I'm trying to save enough to have my surgery with him, its more expensive, but I'll be close to home. So I'm trying to figure out whether or not I should go to Mexico for a lower price or here for a little more and be close to home and the surgeon for follow up care. Thanks for the info, Stefanie
Jennifer W.
on 2/5/08 10:55 pm - Kimberly, OR
I had surgery with Dr. Valencia in Ensenada for about 13 thousand. Before I went down there, I met with my PCP and told him I needed someone to do my post op care. If I were to have serious complications, I would call my surgeon first, then go see my pcp. Thankfully, I haven't had any complications to that extreme. Jen

(deactivated member)
on 2/6/08 8:58 am - FL
I too told my PCP that I was having surgery.  I did not tell him where but I told him it was out of town and would need a referral to a bariatric surgeon in case of problems.  He said that he would be able to take care of any necessary problems I would have.  He had also had WLS. Coolbreeze
lisaweisenbach
on 2/8/08 8:41 am - Jonesboro, AR
VSG on 03/17/08 with
like others have said, I have talked to my PCP about my surgery and he will do any post-op care that I need. If i need more advanced, he can refer me to someone else.

mrsbu
on 3/4/08 12:02 am - Charlotte, NC
RNY on 02/21/08 with
I am actually on the way to see my PCP to have my stitches rmoved today. As my diabetes was out of control he was 100% for me going to Mexico to have surgery and wil support me in whatever I need.
Sandra Mannaravalappil......The Best Darn Chubby Realtor in Charlotte LOL

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 435 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1841 views