how long did it take to get surgery date?

glamacurls
on 1/16/08 12:59 pm - Olive Branch, MS
RNY on 02/19/08 with
For anyone having surgery in Mexico... how long did it take to get a surgery date? What were the requirements before surgery? I have made up my mind to do the RNY and want to find a doctor that I can get in with soon to get the surgery done. Any suggestions? Thanks
Julie
Eggface
on 1/16/08 1:10 pm - Sunny Southern, CA
Here's a link (from July 2006 so prices may have slightly changed I'm almost 19 months out) for my Dr. I had Open RNY with Dr. Aguirre. Dr. Valencia who works with Dr. A will do Lap RNY. http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2006/07/ensen ada.html and a list of the things I took: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/06/sotb- surgery-list.html Hope this helps, ~Michelle

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

glamacurls
on 1/16/08 1:20 pm - Olive Branch, MS
RNY on 02/19/08 with
I am thinking about going alone. Did you have someone go with you? What do you think about going alone> Thanks so much for all of your answers. Julie
Julie
Eggface
on 1/16/08 2:14 pm - Sunny Southern, CA
Hey Julie, I answered on the main board but I figured I'd C&P here too... I went alone for both my Open RNY (June 2006) and plastics (October 2007). 

For my RNY I was in the hospital for 2 1/2 days and then I had a private nurse come to where I was staying once a day for 4 days.

I got bored and lonely (don't underestimate the emotional side of this journey) but physically I was fine alone. If you can bring someone (Mother, friend) bring them you'll be glad you did. Seriously my one regret re: Mexico would be not having someone with me and cell phone charges are HIDEOUS BTW LOL so it's one less person to call.

~Michelle

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/08 1:51 pm - AZ
On January 16, 2008 at 8:59 PM Pacific Time, glamacurls wrote:
For anyone having surgery in Mexico... how long did it take to get a surgery date? What were the requirements before surgery? I have made up my mind to do the RNY and want to find a doctor that I can get in with soon to get the surgery done. Any suggestions? Thanks
I had surgery in Mexico 13 months ago.  I was able to schedule six days after I called to set the actual surgery date.  It really depends on you and your medical history as well as a preop diet. With my doc you have to be pre approved.  If you have a significant medical history they may require additional medical records, diagnostics, whatever.  It depends, for example if you have a heart history they may want your medical records from a cardiologist.  Then the internal medicine doc approves you for surgery.  Then you schedule.  It takes about a day. Then when you get there they do a ton of diagnostics such as labs, xray, EKG, UA. If you have to do a pre op diet (BMI of 40 or more with my doc) then that is an additional 7 or 10 days.  I'm not sure.
Jennifer W.
on 1/16/08 9:36 pm - Kimberly, OR
Hey Glamacurls, If you read my surgeons testimonial, you may want to contact his care coordinator Sandy in Elk Grove CA. I was asked to diet until I lost 15 lbs or 5percent of my body weight. It was simple enough and took about three weeks of sincere Atkins/Lowfat dieting and LOTS of protein shakes. They will give you a pre op diet to follow. You can schedule with him ASAP... he isn't overbooked due to not advertising on the internet other than www.alighterme.com  His team in Ensenada is WONDERFUL. I was treated like the goddess I am! Good luck.  Ensenada/Mexico is a great place to go for surgery. Don't listen to the main forums.

(deactivated member)
on 1/18/08 4:40 am - FL
Hi There, I was able to get a date immediately but I had to schedule my flight 14 days in advance and the 10 day liquid diet.  I went by myself

The entire staff at www.obesitygoodbye.com is very friendly and caring. You feel this from the minute you walk in the door. A majority of the staff speaks english and there is not a language barrier. Dr. Verboonen himself is very well spoken and knowledgeable of his profession. Aftercare is well documented as Dr. Rios, Dr. Fryare or Betty will call and check on you. All practice good bedside manner. Julio, the driver, was very accommodating and helpful. I strongly recommend this surgeon.  For a round trip ticket to San Diego, it is about $300 where they pick you up and take you to Tijuana .  The hotel is usually included in the price.  One day and overnight in the clinic (as they call it, it is more like a private hospital) then 2 days in a very, very nice 4 star hotel.  You can have someone go with you and stay in the same room. There are 2 beds.  One of the people on my friends list went to the same doctor but was not as satisfied with her experience.  If you go to the “south of the border” forum, click on a Dr.’s name it will bring you to the Dr.’s site.  There you will find the OH members that used him and you can send messages to them and also read how their experiences were.

I took chicken broth, single-serving jello, apple juice, bottled water, and tea with so I did not have to buy anything.

glamacurls
on 1/18/08 5:31 am - Olive Branch, MS
RNY on 02/19/08 with
Hello, what did you do with your passport and your money while you were in surgery? That seems to be my only concern for going by myself. Thanks for your reply! Hope you have a great weekeknd!
(deactivated member)
on 1/19/08 1:11 am - FL

Everything was in my hospital room.  I flew into San Diego and was picked up at the airport so no passport was needed.

Eugene

lisaweisenbach
on 1/18/08 6:25 am - Jonesboro, AR
VSG on 03/17/08 with
Im having surgery in Puerto Vallarta with Dr. Joya on March 14. That was the day I requested bc of my schedule. I could have gotten a date as early as 2 wks, but it didnt fit in my schedule.   You just have to choose a doctor and call them. I dont know about the other doctors in Mexico, but im glad mine makes all the arrangements for me...so thats less things I have to worry about.  anyway....good luck.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 435 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1841 views