Promise I won't die if i got to mexico?

Rita T.
on 12/20/07 10:55 pm - Clearwater, FL
OKay so maybe the title of this title is a little harsh. but... I am talking about some serisu invasive surgery. I have been thinking about getting the Lapo band (for like two year) and i know my insurance won't cover it and i know I can pay like 300 a month if I get financed so i was thinking Mexico. My credit isn't so bad so yeah. Anywho! question: where in mexico for the lap band AND how much does it cost? Any places you would advise against?
Jennifer W.
on 12/21/07 1:08 am - Kimberly, OR
I will NOT bash any doctor, for I don't have the right. However, I will PRAISE the doctors I chose in Mexico. Dr. Valencia and his team do Lapbands as well as RNY and Gastric Sleeve.  www.alighterme.com is where you can find more information on  him. If you can find a more qualified doctor in Mexico, I'd be surprized. This Dr. is also an assistant professor at UCLA in Los Angeles. If American colleges can invite him in to teach his minimally invasive procedures to American medical students, then they must have confidence in his skills. I had a wonderful experience with him myself and will travel to mexico and to him now for any and all surgeries I may ever need. This is how wonderful I think this man is. Jen

garrgirl
on 12/21/07 3:42 am - TN
I can't make any promises BUT....I had my sugery a year ago with Dr. Rumbaut and although the woukup by his preop guy was a little scary!!!!  However, after working in the medical field for 15 years the hospital I was in was better than any hospital I have been in in the US!  I had lapband there a year ago, was self-pay and it was 1/2 price of the cost here in the US.

BeeHappe
on 12/21/07 4:21 am - Hinton, IA
RNY on 08/09/05 with
No one can promise this.  You just have to go in with the right frame of mind and do what is best for you. Make sure you feel very confident in the doctor you choose and do your research.  Having the surgery is scarey enough, and going to Mexico is even scarier (sp)  yet.  It takes the right person and right frame of mind to do this.  I just know that I had the best care and felt very confident in my decision and it turned out great.  Everyone has these fears and you will have them until the day you are back and safe in America.  Good luck with your deicision and take control and do your research!!! Jen
lisaweisenbach
on 12/23/07 7:29 am - Jonesboro, AR
VSG on 03/17/08 with
I am planning on getting the VSG with Dr. Joya in Mexico. Ive talked to many people that have gone to him and have heard nothing but praises. Actually, I havent heard anything negative about any of the Mexican docs, but Ive only researched Dr. Joya and Dr. Alvarez. Both appear to be extremely competent. But anything can happen with surgery, no matter where we go to get it. We just have to be aware of that..

(deactivated member)
on 12/24/07 8:40 am - AZ
We can't promise you that you won't die if you have surgery in the US. Thousands and thousands of others are able to go to Mexico and go on to be at goal.  Like me. I paid $7800, went to Dr. Aceves in Mexicali, and did quite well.  He picks up from the San Diego airport. I'll post something on how to research Mexican surgeons.  Because yes, there are a handful of surgeons you most certainly do want to stay away from and I have every bloody right to say that because I know their stats and their backgrounds.  If we don't stick up for one another and help each other have a safe and healthy surgery, what the heck use are we?
bonnied
on 12/30/07 12:01 pm - St. Albans, VT
I can't promise you won't die... but I can promise you will not be having surgery in an alley behind a tortilla factory! I had Dr. Rumbaut for lap RNY 6/3/05.  I've been a nurse for 10 years now, and believe me I was scared. Not just because I was going to Mexico, I knew the complications. I ave done CPR on patients after WLS and it's awful to see surgery go wrong. It happens. I knew a lady who had the band "because it was so much safer--in her opinion" and died of a blood clot.  Sh*&T happens, and not to be a jerk about it, but it does happen. And there is no guarantee either. I truly believe in my instincts. I was ready to say no at any point. Like I told my hubby, until they knock me out with anesthesia, we can walk anytime. And I was prepared to do so if I was doubting anything. Dr. Rumbaut was awesome, the hospital was the best I'd ever been a patient in, and better than where I currently work, so no problems! Good luck! Bonnie  264/155
jannmyers
on 12/30/07 11:54 pm - Cleveland, OH
RNY on 01/10/08 with
If you have not done a lot of research about all the Drs. in Mexico you are considering then you are not ready to go. I agree totally with Jen, you need to feel comfortable that you are going to a safe place with competent people.  I believe the Docs and their staff are every bit as good as those that can be found in the US. That said, there are also bad Docs and bad hospitals in the US as well. You can get a lot of info just reading about people's experiences with different Docs. And there is a lot to consider. Some have good communications teams, some better nursing staffs, some better after care accomidations, some seem to care a lot more after you go home - some don't care at all. All depends on what you want.  I was attracted to Dr. Joya because his patients are walking on the beach and shopping 4 days after surgery! My girlfriend just had hers done here at the Cleveland Clinic and she was still in bed a week after surgery and she paid $40K for the operation. Of course everyone is different.  So far I am totally impressed with my dealings with Dr Joya's staff and every post I have read from his patients. They are even havng a reunion in Puerta Vallarta in May. -Jann
cherokeegoddess
on 1/5/08 7:52 am - Madison, WI
Lap Band on 04/02/07 with
No one can guarantee you wont die in Mexico...but no one can guarantee you wont die driving to the grocery store for another pint of ice cream. I had my surgery in Piedras Negras with Dr. Alvarez!  I love him and his staff.  I would not change my choices for the world.  I have a 15 year old son who needs heart surgery in a few years....If Dr. Alvarez was a cardiac surgeon, I would take my child to him in a heartbeat!  I have nothing but complete faith and trust in him as a surgeon and a person.   His hospital is great, his staff very experienced and perfect to a fault and his technique is flawless. Research EVERYONE, talk to former patients, do your homework....and choose where your heart leads you.   Blessed Be Laura

TheFox
on 1/12/08 4:41 pm
I ended up with a VSG, but during my year of researching a LapBand in Mexico I found that Ortiz, Kuri, Rumbaut, and Aceves had the all around best reps for LapBand. I went with Dr. A, which was especially nice when I changed my mind and decided to go with a VSG.  Price ranges from about $7000-$9500. Don't go for the cheapest. There is a very, very, good reason why they're the cheapest. Take any doctor's name you're considering and googe it along with "complications" "infections" "slip" "erosion". Ask around on LapBandTalk.com, and email old patients. I mean patients from YEARS ago.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 435 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1841 views