SOTB questions--lap band

fishman72
on 11/27/07 1:23 am - Troy, MO

OK, so we are seriously considering going SOTB for my husband's lap band procedure.  From what I can tell here on OH... 1) Dr Valencia and Dr A are the favorites.   2) Accomodations are safe and fairly comfortable--except the beds. 3) The price is much cheaper--about $8,000. 4) The facilities are respectable. 5) Follow up/FIlls can be done state-side without a problem--thanks to Fill Centers USA.  Has anyone used the Farmington, MO facility? I am still wondering... 1) What out of pocket expenses should we expect?  Is my (pt's wife) airfare included in the surgery price?  What about pre-op testing? 2) How long should we expect to stay in Mexico? 3) What about meals while in the apartment/hotel post op? 4) What about my meals during hospital stay? 5) How far out are they scheduling?  Could it be done Dec/Jan? 6) How long does it take to get a passport? 7) What is the first step to getting set up with a surgeon? So many questions.   Thanks for taking time to answer some of them.  Congrats to all of you who have gotten your surgery and have started your new life.  We can't wait to join you!

Zena L.
on 11/27/07 11:15 am
Hey, Congrats on your journey! I just wanted to chime and let you know that Dr. Aguirre only performs the RNY. I was just there in august for surgery so if you are totally set on lap band then you may want to look into Dr. Joya. I hear he has a good reputation. However, I can't say enough good things about Dr. A and his staff if you all decide on RNY. I have done wonderfully, no complications and I'm very happy. You will want to expect to spend money on meals for the length of your stay and laundry expenses...i was in mexico for about a week and a half. I would think with lap band it would only be for 2 or 3 days. My price did not include airfare for me or my traveling companion. But it was only 10,100 for the RNY with apartment stay included. I did not have any problem scheduling my surgery for the date that I wanted. I also did not need a passport, only a picture ID. I'm not sure what the rules are starting in 2008. You should probably do a search for a doctor that performs the lap band. You can go to the "find a bariatric surgeon" link in the top left hand corner of the page and search within Mexico. There are patient reviews and everything. Please contact a few people and ask them about their experiences so you really know what to expect. Most of the surgeons listed have a website with information and contact information.  Good luck with your search! Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions at all! 
(deactivated member)
on 11/28/07 10:05 am, edited 12/4/07 6:52 am - FL

The entire staff at www.obesitygoodbye.com is very friendly and caring. You feel this from the minute you walk in the door. A majority of the staff speaks english and there is not a language barrier. Dr. Verboonen himself is very well spoken and knowledgeable of his profession. Aftercare is well documented as Dr. Rios, Dr. Fryare or Betty will call and check on you. All practice good bedside manner. Julio, the driver, was very accommodating and helpful. I strongly recommend this surgeon. The prices may change, so don’t quote me, but I would say around $7500 - 8000. For a round trip ticket to San Diego, it is about $300 where they pick you up and take you to Tijuana .  The hotel is usually included in the price.  One day and overnight in the clinic (as they call it, it is more like a private hospital) then 2 days in a very, very nice 4 star hotel.  You can have someone go with you and stay in the same room. There are 2 beds.

You do not have to go back to for the fills.  The difficulty in having surgery in is finding someone to do the fills in the .  Many doctors will not do them mainly because of the competition factor.  There is Fill Center , $299, which was formed mainly for outside bandsters but some use fluro and some don’t and some charge an extra $150 for flouro.  For a round trip ticket to San Diego , it is about $300.  They pick you up and take you to Tijuana, add $150 for the fill in and as you see either way the price is about the same.  You will want to check on who can do fills in your area.

One of the people on my friends list went to the same doctor but was not as satisfied with her experience.  If you go to the “south of the border” forum, click on a Dr.’s name it will bring you to the Dr.’s site.  There you will find the OH members that used him and you can send messages to them and also read how their experiences were. I took chicken broth, single-serving jello, apple juice, bottled water, and tea with so I did not have to buy anything.

Eugene PS; I see very good comments on Dr. Kuri also.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 435 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1841 views