Did you ever feel like you weren't "safe"

dot4you
on 10/12/07 10:51 am - CA
Lots of questions...I go to MX on vaca but never for surgery My DH is having a COW about MX and I have to find away to chill him out... How did you convince your loved one that everthing would be ok? Any advice would be great. Thanks a bunch, Dot
jan R.
on 10/13/07 9:07 am - PA

Dot,      I went to Mexico for the first time to have my Lapband in 2005.  The experience was wonderful.  I was planning on coming alone and my family was totally freaked out my sister took off work to come with me.  She was in total amazement how nice the hospital was.  (much nicer than ours at home)  Done in Marble, and the rooms had dvd players and couches they were like little suites....

I am currently in Mexico now (for my 4th time) have a tummy tuck.  I had it on Oct. 1 and am planning on returning home Tuesday.  I guess I have felt so comfortable because I have dealt with a group who has US & Mexican patient coordinators.  They are all so wonderful.  I also have my Docs, the office manager and all the patient coordinators cell numbers so if I need anything all I have to do is call and ask.  I have even called to have them order dinner at a place where nobody spoke english and I was craving the food...lol

If you have any questions or concerns you can email me or ask anything.  I come to Mexico so I can afford to have the new body I want and have desired since I was little!

Good Luck and Take Care

Jan

PS>>>If you have any questions about the docs I use you can visit www.ready4achange.com or just email Judy (who was my life saver on my journey) at [email protected]

Brooke28
on 10/21/07 11:02 am - winnipeg, Canada
Hi,  I had lap RNY in Monterrey, Mexico on Aug. 8th.  When I first decided on my surgeon, everyone freaked out because it was Mexico.  Once I explained my reasons for choosing this particular surgeon, they calmed down a bit.  My dad was the main hold out (and since he was paying for my surgery I needed him to support my choice).  I offerred him all my research and encouraged (and helped) him do his own research.  He spent some time reading and talking to people and became a champion for my choice.   My advise would be to educate, educate, educate your DH.
Just Me
on 10/22/07 1:57 pm - Happy Place, TN
Hi, Safe?  I kept up guard always.  I carried $12,000 cash down to Mexico and my doctor was kind of shocked to find I carried that much.  (Well I certainly didn't want a check to bounce, and I barely made my flight...  if I had waited to get money orders/travelers checks.... I would have missed the SECOND flight... and would have been a disaster.)   Choosing Mexico is NOT for everyone... I've heard of women, strong women, completely fall apart emotionally. I took my laptop, and used a website for translation.  It helped.  If your not good at camping...    f your not prepared to look through the differences.... and clearly recognize the quality of your surgeon, the cleanliness of what is around you, and accept the mores (look up the word) of the Mexican culture...    you might rethink things... Personally, I felt the service was equal to or superior to what I seen others receive in my area of the mid-south... USA.    I'm not talking about a top notch Los Angeles, Chicago or New York hospital... but just your regular joe hospital in good ole USA. Just because it may be a clinic... doesn't mean the individuals aren't qualified...  the materials on site of course are important...  but you gather my meaning... yes?
Janlunchbucket
on 11/1/07 1:46 am - Mt. Juliet, TN
Lap Band on 08/30/07 with
Many of the doctors in Mexico have been performing lap band surgey years before the first ones int he USA learned how to perform it.  So if you look at expeirence alone, it is hands down Mexico.   The USA use to be top notch in medical care. That is not the case anymore. Many other countries are either catching up and a small few has passed us in many areas of the medical field. Weight loss surgery is one of the ones where the US is behind the learning curve.  Your daughter may find comfort in that.
Jennifer W.
on 11/19/07 4:45 am - Kimberly, OR
I would suggest you both share in the research of your physician performing the surgery. I chose a reputable doctor whom I was able to trace his education, fellowships, experience... everthing.  My doctor (Martin Salvador Valencia, MD FACS, teaches at UCLA in Los Angeles at the David Geffen School of Medicine. If he's good enough to teach American Docs what he does; then he's good enough to work on ME. Hope it all works well for you Jen

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 435 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1841 views