For those investigating WLS in USA OR MEXICO

Jennifer W.
on 10/6/07 1:30 am - Kimberly, OR
I read a lot of different forums on OH. I see many members wanting WLS and frustrated with their insurance companies or all the hoops they have to jump through. I believe those hoops are necessary for many. But in my case, I've worked in the medical industry since 1988. My insurance won't cover me, anyway, but I started checking out a doctor from Mexico (Dr. Aguirre) over three years ago.  Well, now that I am ready, I have chosen a colleague of Dr. Aguirre's and I was able to speak with him over the phone. Last night Dr. Martin Salvador Valencia called me and we spoke for over an hour about all sorts of different things! I feel as though he was really open and honest with me about his career and this surgery. I am confident I am in good hands with a doctor not well advertised on the internet --  by his own choice. To anyone wanting to know about Dr. Valencia: He's one of the best. He's humble and honest. He's direct and prudent to communicate that this RNY or any WLS surgery is NOT a miracle or an easy way out. This is still going to take a lot of work on my part (duh). And, he's well trained and teaches/did his fellowship at UCLA in Los Angeles. He's also still very active with American societies and medical organizations and seminars all over the USA. He is very active in Robotics and has even developed the "Valencia Method" for lap surgeries of many kinds. Not just Bariatrics. He was impressed on how knowledgeable I am about what I am doing. MANY THANKS TO OBESITY HELP FORUM MEMBERS! You've all been great and I feel honored to join your groups. So, to those of you who are doing your homework and learning the good, the bad and the UGLY about WLS of any type; please check out South of The Border Forums. You may find your answer is there? Jen

ForShan
on 10/9/07 11:20 am - Bessemer, AL
Hey Jen,  I'm like you in that I've read so many forums and feel that I'm pretty well informed.  I did not look before but what type of surgery for you?  I'm wanting lapband.  I understand about the insurance issue.  I have GREAT ins but will not pay for WLS.  Anyway,  good luck to you in your quest!! Shan
Jennifer W.
on 10/10/07 3:04 pm - Kimberly, OR
I have BCBS Anthem insurance. My company didn't get the package including WLS... grrr. I am currently in the throws of saving the remaining funds needed for the surgery in Mexico. I am having RNY with Dr. Valencia. So far we are right on our budget for saving enough in time!!  Good luck!

Just Me
on 10/17/07 7:34 pm - Happy Place, TN
Hi, Just wishing you and all the very best.... I had RNY with Dr. Aguirre in 2005.  Very happy with services. Believe as a physician he was better than those surrounding me here in my area of the USA. (Tri-State area of TN, Ms., Ark) Now seeking plastic surgery in South of the Border.
(deactivated member)
on 11/1/07 5:59 pm - FL

Providence Clinic Jose Clemente Orozco #2260 Zona Rio. 22320 Tijuana, BC Telephone: 664-684-7282 Email: [email protected] Website: www.providence.com.mx  He was recommended by Dr. Verboonen on a non-wls issue I have but he and his staff communicate well and they have a very nice facility. Eugene

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 435 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1840 views