South of the border... What can I expect for pre & post care?

Jennifer W.
on 6/16/07 6:02 am - Kimberly, OR
I am in the infancy stages of investigating lap RNY surgery in Ensenada Mexico. My question is for those of you living in the United States who've had this procedure done South of the border: What is expected of my prior to surg? Do I just find a doc (which I have) send him money? Show up and get the surg and go home? OR..... Are there certain requirements before going down such as weight loss, exams, consultations, labs, etc? What should I expect and prepare for?
Eggface
on 6/16/07 3:46 pm - Sunny Southern, CA
Hi Jennifer, I had Open RNY in Ensenada with Dr. Aguirre. I had a pre-op physical and labs done in Ensenada the day before surgery. I brought my last labs down for a comparison and a copy of my medical history of my weight related co-morbidities (not required). I had surgery (hospital 2 1/2 days) then was released and paid for the option of 4 days of private nursing care at the Dr.'s designated apartment. You are sent to the apartment with basic nutrition info (just the basics), drainage, wound care instructions. I was visited everyday by a member of the Dr's family, the Dr himself, and other staff. Sutures and drains are removed later in the week in stages. On the 9th day you are free to go home to the US. I informed my PCP prior to going to MX and he does my follow-up care (labs). I also paid out of pocket for a nutritionist in the states (very important IMHO). My one year anniversary is in 4 days so I need to make another appointment soon for another set of labs. Thankfully I have been complication free. If you do have complications (strictures, blockages, etc.) you should be aware that generally your insurance (if you have it) will not cover them and you will be in for a very large medical bill. That is a definite risk we take when we go SOTB.
neisha =.
on 6/25/07 9:03 pm - shawnee, OK
I am currently in Ensenada after surgery with Dr. Aguirre. He and his staff are wonderful. Look at my site and this may help you some. Feel free to pm me with any questions. Neisha
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 435 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1840 views